JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i did 30min on my elliptical today.

tryin to do 30minutes 5 days a week

trying to lose 20-25lbs to get me back where i was 10 years ago

Weight is all about diet - 90-95%
Being Fit, healthy,etc, that comes down to exercise.
Since your goal is to loose weight, eat meat (that you harvest if possible, including non-meat protein like fish and fowl) & veggies which grow above ground & clean fats (no soy, but Olive Oil, coconut oil, avocado oil).

I used to do an elliptical workout, my endurance quickly increased.

Weight is all about diet - 90-95%
Being Fit, healthy,etc, that comes down to exercise.
Since your goal is to loose weight, eat meat (that you harvest if possible, including non-meat protein like fish and fowl) & veggies which grow above ground & clean fats (no soy, but Olive Oil, coconut oil, avocado oil).

I used to do an elliptical workout, my endurance quickly increased.

That's my latest kick.
But what you didn't say is cut out sugar and almost all carbs.

The problem with carbs is that most people eat them in the form of simple carbs like processed breads and pasta, rather than complex carbs like sweet potatoes and lentils.

Your body processes simple carbs exactly like refined sugar.

I have never taken a phone into a gym.
But I understand. It's like an adult ''Binky'' to some.

My phone is in my sweatpants pocket, but only so I can play my Spotify gym playlist. I never take it out.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people lounge on the benches and equipment for 5 minutes and stare at their phone.

.... Not put 3-5 minutes between sets? That's a tremendous amount of time. It's like playing football, you just stand around then sometimes push real hard. If you have to wait that long you could focus on your breathing, stretch, work a different muscle group.... Just not bury your head in your phone. KEEP THE PHONE IN THE LOCKER

The problem with carbs is that most people eat them in the form of simple carbs like processed breads and pasta, rather than complex carbs like sweet potatoes and lentils.

Your body processes simple carbs exactly like refined sugar.
Whole wheat bread, and I mean the real ones, are good for you. That being said, its the fiber in fruits and veggies that keep em from being digested like other simple carbs.

Been a bit lazy today.

1319C04A-37A4-4B32-A48D-38DD491FBECF.png

A few years back when I was following Starting Strength, I had 3-5 mins between sets. What else do you do?

What I do when using any of the machines, and granted I'm probably a minority here, is I stand up in between sets a little to the side so that others can work in. Obviously this isn't practical if you're on the dumbbell benches or bench press benches, but for most things you can get off of the equipment so that others can work in. The gym I go to is extremely busy and I think most gym etiquette is common sense, but I get irrationally upset when I see someone sprawled out on the equipment absorbed in their phone. They're most likely not paying attention to time between sets and certainly not paying attention to others who need to work in. Of course, you can always tap them on the shoulder and ask to work in, and most folks are extremely obliging.

I also might add, just an observation and YMMV, the ones who tend to be staring at their phone the most are also the ones who seem to put the least amount of effort into their workout. Not lumping everyone into this category, just as a general rule.

Last Edited:
Different goals. Starting Fitness says that to gain strength, lift heavy, you need full recovery before going on to the next set. 5 mins. Clearly if you can set-in with someone that is helpful.

I am now doing Crossfit - different mind set.
Before I'd do 3 deadlifts. That was the daily total. Each at my max weight. Next week I'd lift heavier.

Crossfit, I might do 45 reps - 21 + 15 + 9. With some other exercise in between, say Burpies. No rest. Not sure I am sold on this idea, you get a risk of using bad form and lifting any weight requires perfect form on each rep.

The 5x5 work out is 2 different workouts A and B. Each consists of 3 exercises, which are done at 5 reps. If you are not at failure, lift heavier. This is pretty close to Rip's teaching. Advanced folks have more things to work on. And if you are trying to look pretty, rather than be strong, you might want to avoid Starting Strength.

The science is in. Lift heavy or left many and you get stronger. What works for you? Maybe it is best to switch it up every now and then.

Being a good citizen in the gym is important. And wipe up your sweat! Rack your weights!

@Boboclown My fitness counter would say that 25k steps = 12 miles. Are you getting GPS tracking?
176 is amazing. I try to get 10. I do work on the 3rd floor and avoid the elevators.

Different goals. Starting Fitness says that to gain strength, lift heavy, you need full recovery before going on to the next set. 5 mins. Clearly if you can set-in with someone that is helpful.

Before I'd do 3 deadlifts. That was the daily total. Each at my max weight. Next week I'd lift heavier.

Crossfit, I might do 45 reps - 21 + 15 + 9. With some other exercise in between, say Burpies. No rest. Not sure I am sold on this idea, you get a risk of using bad form and lifting any weight requires perfect form on each rep.

The 5x5 work out is 2 different workouts A and B. Each consists of 3 exercises, which are done at 5 reps. If you are not at failure, lift heavier. This is pretty close to Rip's teaching. Advanced folks have more things to work on. And if you are trying to look pretty, rather than be strong, you might want to avoid Starting Strength.

The science is in. Lift heavy or left many and you get stronger. What works for you? Maybe it is best to switch it up every now and then.

Being a good citizen in the gym is important. And wipe up your sweat! Rack your weights!

@Boboclown My fitness counter would say that 25k steps = 12 miles. Are you getting GPS tracking?
176 is amazing. I try to get 10. I do work on the 3rd floor and avoid the elevators.
Probably. Its mostly from me being at work though. That's pretty much my daily life, in addition to pushing a bunch of weight uphill.

Cross fit. o_O

Last Edited:
Yesturday was squats ... a lot.
30, 35, 40, 45, 50, with weight,
between sets a 200m run, while carrying a med ball (awkward)
and just to keep the heart rate up, jump rope - SU - same # as the squats.

They were suppose to be Single Arm Overhead squats (dumb bells), but my mobility is not good. So I can do a few reps like that, I scaled my work out weight down to 20# and I did front squats - the weight on my shoulder level.

I feel it walking up the stairs this morning.

Today is Lift Day
Plan
Tonight is go for Personal Record 1x1 Overhead Squat (that will be with a bar bell)
From the ground? not the rack I expect
I have no record for this. So, I'll get an heart for sure!
I do have a 105 on the front squat. Again due to my mobility, I'll start with 20kg (45# - the naked bar) and we'll find out. Actually for Warm up, I'll use a PVC pipe.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top