JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry RickInOr. Didn't mean to sound snippy.

You are right on the correct way to get your BMI.

No worries. :)

My thought when posting is when I was in the CG(R) we had to meet a standard - for pretty in a uniform.
The Army looked at the same standard, called BS, and applied it to the Washington Redskins (easily available height/weight etc) Their question, which one of the Hogs would you call out of shape?

Those who are muscle will have an overall higher density - and thus if they use the height/weight formula may believe they have a high (obese/morbid obese) BMI when in fact they do not.

I believe, that you can be in shape but also carry a higher level of fat than the charts suggest. Take a look at Power Lifters.

No worries. :)

My thought when posting is when I was in the CG(R) we had to meet a standard - for pretty in a uniform.
The Army looked at the same standard, called BS, and applied it to the Washington Redskins (easily available height/weight etc) Their question, which one of the Hogs would you call out of shape?

Those who are muscle will have an overall higher density - and thus if they use the height/weight formula may believe they have a high (obese/morbid obese) BMI when in fact they do not.

I believe, that you can be in shape but also carry a higher level of fat than the charts suggest. Take a look at Power Lifters.

I agree.

The medical community knows muscle makes a difference in BMI. They just like generic BMI charts to have another tool to tell us were fat. [To many folks are in denial].

My proof?
The test used to calculate kidney health/function is based on waist removed that's created by muscle use.
Black people have a higher allowable amount of this waist in there blood. And are still seen as having healthy kidney function [Removal of waist].

The reason? On average they have more muscle than other people. And create more of this waist.

That right there tells you a one size fits all BMI chart. Won't work.

Last Edited:
Last night was:

5 back and forths pushing a sled
75 reps of incline press, bar only
100 reps of tricep extensions
30 reps on the lat pull downs

Sticking with 30 min sessions right now, no down time between exercises makes things go by pretty quick.

You all be careful with CrossFit.
It's a neck and shoulder destroyer with those that are not young still.

One of the major complaints is that you can be come a CrossFit Box owner by taking a weekend seminar, and ponying up the franchise fee.

Any trainer you use, be sure to get their experience in your needs. An 18yr old trying to make a college team has far different needs than someone wanting to compete in Mr. Olympus has far different needs from middle aged desk jockies wanting to have functional fitness. The different coaches at my box have different backgrounds, and we just got 2 new ones too.

For anyone starting a new movement - get it down perfect. The competitive nature may want to push you. But perfect form on each rep should be the first goal.

I have the desk jockie shoulder hunch. So when trying to due low bar squats, I found I cannot with anything more than a PVC pipe. I have to do high bar squats. (Back squats - difference is where the bar is carried link is to U-Tuby video look at 2:00-2:20)

You own your fitness.

There are plenty of programs out there. You can work on most of these with stuff around the home/ranch/barn/shop.

How to Lift Forever: 5 Mandatory Exercises | T Nation

This guy wants to sell you his program(s) and he talks too much (standard curse of U-tuby) But lots of good information
ATHLEAN-X™

Compare Jeff's video with #1 in the T-Nation article

Farm Girl is motivation, not a coach, but here she is showing a program, includes the weighted sled push
She has other videos using stuff found around the farm, like tractor weights and a Smith & Wesson 500 Magnum.

If you are not moving - do something to move. I use the restroom at the far end of my building for example. When you get up, do it 3 times rather than once (sit down/up is the essential movement of a squat)

Of course if your goal is to be stuck in a hover-round, never mind.

One of the major complaints is that you can be come a CrossFit Box owner by taking a weekend seminar, and ponying up the franchise fee.

Any trainer you use, be sure to get their experience in your needs. An 18yr old trying to make a college team has far different needs than someone wanting to compete in Mr. Olympus has far different needs from middle aged desk jockies wanting to have functional fitness. The different coaches at my box have different backgrounds, and we just got 2 new ones too.

For anyone starting a new movement - get it down perfect. The competitive nature may want to push you. But perfect form on each rep should be the first goal.

I have the desk jockie shoulder hunch. So when trying to due low bar squats, I found I cannot with anything more than a PVC pipe. I have to do high bar squats. (Back squats - difference is where the bar is carried link is to U-Tuby video look at 2:00-2:20)

You own your fitness.
Good info.
I cringe at all the CrossFit people not wearing a belt. Very bad decision.

This is my goal by the end of the year: (or at the very least to see how far I can go from now - I can't do a pull-up currently while I'm at 281 but I'm going to use the assisted machine)

Good info.
I cringe at all the CrossFit people not wearing a belt. Very bad decision.

Depends on your condition and if your lifting really heavy - like 1-4 reps.

If your doing lighter sets at higher reps it can be better for your back to not wear a belt - again it 100% depends on your personal muscle development.

I don't use a belt for what I do.

Last night was a 4sx6r Overhead Squat at ~ 70% of 1RM (my 1RM is 95, I worked at 65)
I have flexibility issues, so none of my reps would be good in competition. My heels come up before I am below parallel. And since I don't have shoulder mobility, I can't get the weight far enough behind my ears. I also discovered an impingement in my wrist at full snatch width - not good to get a sharp pain with weight above your noggin.

I worked out with a trainer bar - those are 15# bars - so there was a little bit of weight - and i put a bench under me - sat and stood. I'll do this again, but with a standard bar (20kg/45#).

Grinding it out.

For those of you who are younger than I am, work on your flexibility to maintain it. This sucks. My cause, besides being lazy, is 30 years of desk work.

"I'VE SAID IT BEFORE AND IT BEARS REPEATING: Lifting Weights As You Age Cuts Your Risk Of Early Death By 46%." via Instapundit.

Overhead squat

This is squatting to a bench/box (shown is a standard high bar back) The bench helps with confidence, you are down enough, and don't have to worry about falling backward.

For those of you who are younger than I am, work on your flexibility to maintain it.

Working at a gym I see it everyday and while I think even though im late to the game that I'll be able to improve enough to make my later years a lot nicer.

If only we knew before whatbwe know now:D

It's great advice, hopefully someone will take it to heart;)

Yesterday was:

Sled
Ropes
Cable presses
Cable regular flys
Cable flys - low, reg and high
Body squats on a balance board

Cheating on my food is getting easier the more muscle I add - and it's packing on faster then I thought.

0F0C9F01-86AB-4CC9-B0C5-5CEB40A5D1A3.png

This is my goal by the end of the year: (or at the very least to see how far I can go from now - I can't do a pull-up currently while I'm at 281 but I'm going to use the assisted machine)

What's with this new generation Of Marines?
When I was in the Army we could do pull ups all day.

Heck even as an old man I can do over 20.
That's just sad! :rolleyes:

Can't do even one sit up though. Bad Back. :s0108:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR