JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got my BMI measured to day. 30.5% that is .5% into the Obese category. But down from last April when I last was measured on same equipment at 35%.

The recommended weight loss, by the equipment for me is: 28#
My goal is 35#.
So, similar.

If you can find such equipment, it is a scientific measurement, useful for a trend - comparison over time.
Maybe your health clinic offers such measures - they all say (Kaiser, Providence, etc) they want to prevent illness/injury.

I've worked out every day this year with the exception of Friday. I worked a 10 hour shift and didn't want to kill myself.

Eating better too. Nothing fried, no processed flour or sugar, no beer and no dairy with the exception of a splash of milk in my morning coffee. Lots of lean proteins, greens, veggies and fruit. I feel fantastic after just 5 days. Going to try to stick with it for an entire month and see how it turns out. Taking pictures of myself and taking body measurements every week.

Wanting to work out 5 days per week, while taking two days for recovery. Here's my planned workout schedule for the month...Cardio will consist of stairs or stationary bike. HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training, which is continued cardio after the cardio warmup, consisting of two cycles of 6-7 work out maneuvers at 30 seconds each for 15 minutes.

Sunday - 20 min of cardio, 15 min of HIIT
Monday - OFF (my day off, I usually hike or do something physical)
Tuesday - 20 min cardio, 15 min HIIT
Wed - 30 min cardio, leg, chest, arm and back reps (weights)
Thursday - 20 min cardio, 15 min HIIT
Friday - OFF
Saturday - 15 min. HIIT, 30-40 pushups or sit-ups

It's not a ton, but a lot more than I'm used too. Combined with eating right, I should be in a lot better shape by the end of January. Then I'll re-evaluate and maybe raise my reps, time and difficulty of workout.

I walked 1.2 miles today. I broke my femur and my spine in October 2018, having to relearn how to walk at 50 years old, is something I would have never in my worst nightmare, thought I would have to do. I have always worked physically demanding jobs, so this was a wake up call for sure. But the 1.2 miles today was an accomplishment for me.

It's not a ton, but a lot more than I'm used too. Combined with eating right, I should be in a lot better shape by the end of January. Then I'll re-evaluate and maybe raise my reps, time and difficulty of workout.

Doing some is better than none. And it is good to re-evaluate every so often - what do you like, what are you tired of, new goals.

I walked 1.2 miles today. I broke my femur and my spine in October 2018, having to relearn how to walk at 50 years old, is something I would have never in my worst nightmare, thought I would have to do. I have always worked physically demanding jobs, so this was a wake up call for sure. But the 1.2 miles today was an accomplishment for me.
Glad to hear you're fighting your way back. Congrats on your milestone.

I got my BMI measured to day. 30.5% that is .5% into the Obese category. But down from last April when I last was measured on same equipment at 35%.

The recommended weight loss, by the equipment for me is: 28#
My goal is 35#.
So, similar.

If you can find such equipment, it is a scientific measurement, useful for a trend - comparison over time.
Maybe your health clinic offers such measures - they all say (Kaiser, Providence, etc) they want to prevent illness/injury.

I have this devise called a mirror. It tells me when I'm fat.;)

Buy the way.
I'm fat. o_O

Fantastic! After working out for an entire week, this morning, I woke up with a bit of a chest cold. Decided to push through it and workout a little hard today anyway, as tomorrow is my first body measurements day since before I started. Man do I regret it, I feel completely exhausted. I have a 102* fever and feel like a I was ran over by a truck. Am I pushing too hard, or just a coincidence?

I did spend about 6 hours out in the cold for a speed steel shoot on Sunday. By the end, I was pretty soaked and cold. Hope I didn't catch bronchitis or pneumonia. Guess I'll be taking a few days off to get back to healthy...not really ideal for the momentum that I have right now:rolleyes:

Fantastic! After working out for an entire week, this morning, I woke up with a bit of a chest cold. Decided to push through it and workout a little hard today anyway, as tomorrow is my first body measurements day since before I started. Man do I regret it, I feel completely exhausted. I have a 102* fever and feel like a I was ran over by a truck. Am I pushing too hard, or just a coincidence?

I did spend about 6 hours out in the cold for a speed steel shoot on Sunday. By the end, I was pretty soaked and cold. Hope I didn't catch bronchitis or pneumonia. Guess I'll be taking a few days off to get back to healthy...not really ideal for the momentum that I have right now:rolleyes:

Pushing too hard. I never work out when sick.

Your body needs resources for post work out recovery. When your sick you body has to 'heal' the gym damage as well as the cold.

Maybe that's bull but I avoid stressing my body when I'm already fighting a sickness.

Pushing too hard. I never work out when sick.

Your body needs resources for post work out recovery. When your sick you body has to 'heal' the gym damage as well as the cold.

Maybe that's bull but I avoid stressing my body when I'm already fighting a sickness.
Makes sense. Our bodies can only do so much at once. When it's healing muscles it probably doesn't work as hard on keeping the immune system intact.

I am going to be one of those "resolutionists" too. One of "those guys." In my defense I have lifted for more than 40 years. Started working out in my home gym 18 months ago but not working for me since I'm up 10 lbs and it's not muscle. I'm not a dieter obviously but 2013 shoulder repair, 2015 bilateral knee replacements and 2016 prostate surgery with some complications limited my old routines. Kept getting hurt and got frustrated. Even paid for a functional therapist due to some nerve damage causing me to fall on my face sometimes which was super fun archery hunting the Coast this season. Anyway, I just stopped going to the gym and worked out at home. Obviously didn't work for me although no surgery in last two years so that was good.

But I qualify for all the senior discounts and "Medicare Silver Sneakers" so I am going back.

Yeah, at the gym I go to there are all kinds of new faces. Guys doing stuff like toe raises on the floor while balancing themselves on the bench press bench with their other leg so no one can use the bench. Or sitting on the equipment like it's an easy chair while they stare at their phone :rolleyes:

This'll all clear up by mid-February, of course.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top