JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looking for a plan?

Who Wants to Be a Novice? You Do. | T Nation

First, let's state the Universal Truth of Training, as applied to the weight room: you do not get big and strong by lifting weights; you get big and strong by recovering from lifting weights.

Everything else is derived from this simple restatement of the principle of stress and adaptation. Don't forget it.

Starting Strength - Mark Rippetoe
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...ds-20&linkId=92454c6617924d71a06f6d54eabbdb64

How much protein do you need?

TL;dr 3.3g/kg male. 250lbs = 113 kg * 3.3g = 375g = 13oz
(1.5g/lb)

Back in 1941, groundwork for the US Dietary Guidelines was first being laid.

For the first time, the government reviewed research and recommended specific intakes of a few select nutrients (including protein, calcium, and a handful of vitamins). The government was aiming for "buoyant health" for the "building up of our people to a level of health and vigour never before attained or dreamed of."

Here we are in 2018, after hundreds of important protein studies have been conducted, and the guidelines still recommend a meager 56 grams of protein per day for a 150-pound male. Something is amiss! Does that amount really lead to "buoyant health"?

Luckily, scientists have developed fancy methods to track amino acid flux (for short-term protein balance), and big studies have also looked at health improvements from protein over the course of years (long-term benefits). We reviewed all the evidence and translated it into specific amounts you can shoot for. Check it out: How much protein do I need every day?

Sincerely,
Kamal Patel

Steak = 70g protein (2.5oz) / 250g (9oz) steak = 5.2 steaks/day.

You probably don't buy 8oz steaks. 3 - 16 oz steaks/day.

Pork Chop is 24g protein/100g pork.

Whey 24g protein / 35g powder - (ON Gold Standard 1 scoop/serving )

How much protein do I need per day?

I recommend examine dot com - they only try to sell you their information bundles. They don't sell supplements etc. And you can get the infor on the web page for free.

Forgot to update. Tomorrow will be officially one month since I started the workouts. Happy to have kept it going this long. Still hard to start some days, but now I'm feeling like I need to do it - and that's a positive thing. I've not felt that way about a workout in a long time. It's really nice and convenient having a decent gym setup (and showers), at work. Makes it much harder to avoid 'going to the gym'.

I've started trying the squats @RicInOR has mentioned. Even did some with my daughter on Sunday after we did a 1.5 mile walk. She's showing an interest in doing some exercise with me, which helps motivate a weekend workout of sorts into the routine as well.

Still looking to start working more specifically toward weight loss, though I am seeing some of that already.

So a few of you guys know I really messed up my arm moving my Liberty a couple of weeks ago. Really haven't been able to lift since then and today I was really starting to feel lousy about the whole thing. So after work I went to the park and knocked out 2 miles of hilly terrain walking/jogging. Not much but better than nothing.

So a few of you guys know I really messed up my arm moving my Liberty a couple of weeks ago. Really haven't been able to lift since then and today I was really starting to feel lousy about the whole thing. So after work I went to the park and knocked out 2 miles of hilly terrain walking/jogging. Not much but better than nothing.

I missed that you hurt your arm. Is it getting better?

That's more jogging than my knee could handle! I can ride a bike all day, I can even hike the mountains all day, but once I start running my knee says "NOPE!" :(

How is your arm feeling now though?

I missed that you hurt your arm. Is it getting better?

I was pulling it away from the wall in the garage because I decided I wanted to rotate it 90 degrees and push it up against a different wall. I arranged for Ryan (Orygunholster) to come over and help me. Well, I got impatient and decided to do it myself. I could barely get my fingers behind it to pull it away from the wall. As I was pulling the 800+ pounds away from the wall with my finger tips, something in my left forearm popped and it knotted up into a spasm so hard I couldn't NOT make a fist. I let it relax and finished moving the safe. 15 minutes later locked up my wrist and hand so tight I really thought about going to the ER. Iced it 15 on/off for 3 hours straight.

Anyway, it's getting better, albeit REALLY slowly. :(

Sorry about your arm.
Glad you are still doing what you can - that is so much better than most - and it keeps you in the habit of doing.

Today, finished the "introductory" or "Foundations" classes (6 total) Now I am in the regular cross-fit class.
We did Hang Snatches and Hang Cleans. I had the massive 45lb weight ( 20kg) Both of these lift are about technique.
I believe the "hang" means you start at your waist, not the floor, but didnt' think to ask.

Clean

Snatch

On Eating

A Beginner's Guide to Healthy Eating | Nerd Fitness

"You're smart and you know what real food is, so stop eating crap."

You know what real food is: things that grew in the ground, on a tree, came out of the sea, ran on the land, or flew through the air. Meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts are all great examples of REAL food.

On top of that, you know what crap food is: food that comes from a drive-thru window, a vending machine, box, bag, or wrapper. If it has an ingredient list longer than A Game of Thrones, it's probably not good for you. If it started out as real food and then went through fourteen steps to get to the point where you're about to eat it, it's probably not good for you.

Use this information and combine it with this mantra: "you can't outrun your fork". When trying to lose weight, feel healthy, and get in shape, 80% (not an exaggeration) of your success or failure will come from how well you eat – which is why this point is one of the cornerstones of the Rebellion.

I've been strength training regularly for almost 14 months now; I've really toned up all over, greatly improving my endurance and moderately gaining strength.

Today was my heaviest work out since I got out of the reserve a dozen years ago. Up shortly after 4:00am and spent 90 minutes on the kettlebells. Swings, halos, squats, Atlas swings and snatches.

Took a long lunch and hiked a little over seven miles in under two hours. Feeling the whole thing a bit. Going to be struggling to stay awake later tonight.

Continuing to get my 3 workouts a week in, consistently for 5 weeks now! I've been trying to add some cardio on the weekends as well - brisk walks near home, for example.

I also was aware today when donuts were brought in to the office, that I've not eaten a donut in 5 weeks! Walked by them today, and they smelled great, very fresh, and passed on them. I figure I've cut carb intake about in half over the course of 5 weeks - a very good thing for a diabetic.

Friday - Skip Rope. 400 (4x 100) I think I got at most 15 in a row.
Also tried a pull-up. Nope.

There were other exercises like squats but mostly the rope.

My brother is moving tomorrow, I think I'll count that as my workout.;)

Friday - Skip Rope. 400 (4x 100) I think I got at most 15 in a row.
Also tried a pull-up. Nope.

There were other exercises like squats but mostly the rope.

My brother is moving tomorrow, I think I'll count that as my workout.;)

I haven't tried jumping rope in many years. A guy that works out the same time I do jumps from time to time. His jump rope is a lot different than what I new as a kid - looks like metal handles and almost a plastic coated cable instead of an actual rope. Kind of looks like fun.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top