JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will say the squats I did yesterday are coming back to bite me today. I haven't been focusing on leg work much aside from being on the elliptical and stationary bike - so this one is reminding me of what harder work has to offer in return ;)

Not sure what the new WW plan is but I'd advise against it personally.

If it's anything like before then it it designed to keep you coming back and yo-yoing your weight. I don't really trust any diet that is a business model.

Your a smart man, I bet you could do the research and make permenant eating changes that work for you as you go.

But whatever works for you is a good deal;)

Not sure what the new WW plan is but I'd advise against it personally.

If it's anything like before then it it designed to keep you coming back and yo-yoing your weight. I don't really trust any diet that is a business model.

Your a smart man, I bet you could do the research and make permenant eating changes that work for you as you go.

But whatever works for you is a good deal;)

Their plans are actually good. Both my physicians endorse them and have done so for years. Most folks I have known that were successful with long term weight loss have used WW's plans. My biggest problem is, as I noted, having to record and calculate things all the time, it just gets tedious. If they've made that easier, which folks have reported to me that they have, then it could work well for me. Nutritionally, it is a balanced program and provides some flexibility and variety.

Back in 2002/2003, I lost 80lbs using WW and exercise. It works. But in 2003, I got carpal tunnel and had 2 back to back surgeries - unfortunately, I lost my inspiration during the months long recovery. It sucks, but I know I'm susceptible to that kind of stuff. Hopefully some extra years bring more maturity to stick with it over time.

Next step down the road is to attack the diet and make some more serious changes. That's going to be harder for me than the exercise, so I'm still psyching myself up for that next step.

The easiest changes to diet are to ADD things. Not deny yourself. You can start this now, before you commit to your new diet plan.

If you add some healthy berries (black, rasp, blue) for example - you will likely find it easier to not eat some un-healthy ice cream. Rather than denying the ice cream and then having to find something to satisfy a craving. Add drinking water - reduce drinking flavored beverages. Add slow carbs ( potatoes, yams etc) - reduce fast carbs (bread, white rice).

I recommend eating as close to how it grows as you can. Veggie / Fruit off the vine/tree. Meat. If you can find a "nugget" on the chicken, well then OK. Fish filets, not Filet of Fish sandwiches.

There are other substitutions - like dump any vegetable oil. Use Olive oil for raw use like on a salad - and coconut for heating (like cooking eggs) (or Avocado oil)

If you do go for a box program - WW, Nutrisystem, whatever - do keep a mind to the idea of how you will transition, how you will have a new way of eating, after the program has run its' course. I know people who have done well on the programs as the "what's for dinner" question gets answered.
You might plan to transition to a Paleo diet for example. Or, Mediterranean.

I use my Samsung Health app - came with the phone - the foods I eat more often come up to the top of the search list. Spinach, Kale come up when I am entering lunch because 5/7 days I have salad. Not on top of list for breakfast, which is eggs & oatmeal.

There are apparently some apps where you can scan a bar code to enter the information.

The easiest changes to diet are to ADD things. Not deny yourself. You can start this now, before you commit to your new diet plan.

If you add some healthy berries (black, rasp, blue) for example - you will likely find it easier to not eat some un-healthy ice cream. Rather than denying the ice cream and then having to find something to satisfy a craving. Add drinking water - reduce drinking flavored beverages. Add slow carbs ( potatoes, yams etc) - reduce fast carbs (bread, white rice).

I recommend eating as close to how it grows as you can. Veggie / Fruit off the vine/tree. Meat. If you can find a "nugget" on the chicken, well then OK. Fish filets, not Filet of Fish sandwiches.

There are other substitutions - like dump any vegetable oil. Use Olive oil for raw use like on a salad - and coconut for heating (like cooking eggs) (or Avocado oil)

If you do go for a box program - WW, Nutrisystem, whatever - do keep a mind to the idea of how you will transition, how you will have a new way of eating, after the program has run its' course. I know people who have done well on the programs as the "what's for dinner" question gets answered.

I use my Samsung Health app - came with the phone - the foods I eat more often come up to the top of the search list. Spinach, Kale come up when I am entering lunch because 5/7 days I have salad. Not on top of list for breakfast, which is eggs & oatmeal.

There are apparently some apps where you can scan a bar code to enter the information.

Good post

Took the new bike out. It kicked my @ss and let me know the suspensions on the old bike made me lazy. Not so bad for something "worse than a prius."

Downside is it really hit my right knee real bad, plus side is its letting me know the mistakes I used to make that the suspensions hid from me. And hitting the trails has improved my knee, though slower now that I have to learn how to ride a mountain bike again.

IMG_3165.JPG

Class tonight. 3 of us students. The 2 girls did twice as many sets as I did in the set time.

Sit ups today - first time in class - first time in a long time for me. We'll see how the abs / back feels in the AM.

The wife made meat loaf for her lunches. None of that is Paleo. But it smelled so good ....
Ground beef - nope ( steak is a-ok, or if you make the ground yourself, but not knowing whats in it 100% ... )
Bread (croutons/bread cubes you make stuffing out of) - nope
Ketchup + Brown Sugar glaze - nope
Eggs - well the eggs are OK.

I kept it to a smallish 5 oz and tomorrow is another day.

I've looked at Paleo. And while the whole program is not for me, I certainly see the value in what they're doing, and do agree there are some good practices to adapt.

As I'm sure you and everyone else here knows, everyone's tastes, likes/dislikes, even genetics are different and affect what you can and will eat. I grew up on simple carbs. For good or for bad, I like them, too much. It's been a lifetime battle finding the magic balance. But my biggest struggle comes from an intense dislike for most vegetables. Most kids dislike vegetables at first, but grow into them, I didn't. I dislike them as much today as I did as a kid. And that makes getting a good healthy diet more of a struggle. You mentioned above making changes by adding things without denying things you like. I agree with that, but adding things you really dislike means to tend to avoid eating them. I do like many fruits and berries, but as a diabetic, I have to factor in the carbs - and they are better carbs than most simple carbs since they metabolize a bit slower.

I have to find creative ways to incorporate vegetables into my diet. I can do salads, basic green salads with maybe some raw peas and some green onions, but that's about it. I can't do kale, it physically makes me retch - no joke - I've tried numerous times to find a way to work it in, can't do it. I've allowed myself to use low-sodium V8 as a veggie substitute at times - and I can already hear you saying that's not the same - I know that, but, it's better than nothing. I can do veggies cooked into some soups, etc., but I get tired of soups like that after a while. I've been to 3 different dieticians, and not one could help me find a solution to this problem. It remains my biggest unscaled obstacle.

As for drinking, I am a big water drinker, have been for years. I have water next to me from morning to bedtime. I probably drink more than most people do in an average day. Next to that is coffee, one large cup in the morning and a glass of iced tea with dinner - neither with sugar. I rarely drink alcohol, milk or soft drinks.

On your note about the oils, I typically only use vegetable oil when baking (like cakes, etc., where healthy choices aren't the priority). When cooking on the stovetop, olive oil and coconut oil have been our oils of choice for quite a while now.

In an attempt to cut back on 'fast carbs', I started pulling out the rice cooker and working on methods to make more palatable brown rice. I've not really enjoyed it much in the past due to the texture, but in the rice cooker, with some flavor added, it is more enjoyable.

Lately, my breakfast has included a hard-boiled egg, Greek yogurt (lower in carbs and higher in protein than regular yogurt) and 1/4 cup of high protein granola.

Back to adding good things. I like that idea and have doing some of that the past few weeks. I find as I go back to working out regularly, I start craving some healthier things - that's a good sign. I make sure to keep some fresh fruit at work for the times I feel like snacking. I try to pack my lunch as much as possible to avoid eating out.

But my biggest problem has always been struggling with how much I eat. That's the biggest issue I face of all of them. I like to eat (well, who doesn't, right?) but can have a hard time regulating that. What I am finding though is the active workouts are causing me to eat less. Perhaps, for me, that will always have to be part of it if I'm to get things under control for the rest of my life. When I get away from exercise, I tend back to foods that aren't the best choices.

Oh, and I did my workout today. 25 min cardio, 25 min resistance work - core and upper body. Really, really didn't want to work out today, had to talk myself through it. Of course, when I was done, I was happy I did it and feel good today.

I'm a poor eater. In that I don't keep myself toped off. And will not listen to my hunger and possibly skip meals.

It's from my childhood. I had the food I needed growing up. But never more.

The good news is, I will eat anything.
There is nothing I don't like. And I have eaten things you guys may not consider edible. :s0002:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
May 26, 2024 Oregon Arms Collectors
Portland, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top