JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey If your happy with your results then great.
I am. And at 50 will compare physiques with anyone. At any age. ;)

And I like whisky too. :D

Happy.....ish. I'm 6'2"/225lbs but would love to get down to 200ish. I've got all the muscle I need but I just have a pesky layer of fat over some of it, so I focus mostly on cardio.

In November when I was in a little worse shape than now, I smoked the fitness test hike to get on the back country unit of my SAR team, so i cant complain too bad. Work in progress though.

Happy.....ish. I'm 6'2"/225lbs but would love to get down to 200ish. I've got all the muscle I need but I just have a pesky layer of fat over some of it, so I focus mostly on cardio.

In November when I was in a little worse shape than now, I smoked the fitness test hike to get on the back country unit of my SAR team, so i cant complain too bad. Work in progress though.

No. You sound like your doing good. :s0155:

I'm 6'1" with about 80lbs I'd like to lose. 15 years ago I was at my fittest. Just under 200lbs (folks said I was too thin at that weight - my doc wanted me at 180 :rolleyes:). I was running 5-6 days a week, training to do my first 5K or 10K. Got carpal tunnel in both hands, bad. Had 2 surgeries back to back and told by the surgeon to not do any activity that got me sweaty during the recoveries. I lost my motivation in all that down time, fell back into old habits and haven't been down to that weight again. I've been down some in weight and done exercise since, but finding it hard over the years to really commit like I once did. Looking for that motivating factor again. This time, thinking about being around for my daughter is certainly part of it.

When it comes to this, I'm much too easily derailed by myself. It will be a push to stick with it. Everyone has to find that special motivation that keeps them going.

Last Edited:
I'm 6'1" with about 80lbs I'd like to lose. 15 years ago I was at my fittest. Just under 200lbs (folks said I was too thin at that weight - my doc wanted me at 180 :rolleyes:). I was running 5-6 days a week, training to do my first 5K or 10K. Got carpal tunnel in both hands, bad. Had 2 surgeries back to back and told by the surgeon to not do any activity that got me sweaty during the recoveries. I lost my motivation in all that down time, fell back into old habits and haven't been down to that weight again. I've been down and done exercise, but finding it hard over the years to really commit like I once did. Looking for that motivating factor again. This time, thinking about being around for my daughter is certainly part of it.

When it comes to this, I'm much too easily derailed by myself. It will be a push to stick with it. Everyone has to find that special motivation that keeps them going.

I hurt every F-ing day.
That's my motivation. :D

I had carpel tunnel surgery, Elbow surgery, shoulder surgery, Neck surgery X3, Cancer and surgery.
Fought my way back every time.

Someday I may be licked. But I ain't seen it yet. ;)

Last Edited:
I'm not happy with it so quit being an azz! :D Seriously my goal is to drop about 40-50 pounds and get back to the point I need to be at!

That's about 5 lbs a month till hunting season brother;). (A pound a week should be very doable for you)

Stop stallin and get on that elliptical tonight:rolleyes:

I'm more of a morning work out kind of guy! I just need to get my butt out of bed and go do it! :rolleyes:

Same here. I get up at 4:00 every workday. Workout will start at 5:00. Got the first done and already feel good enough to start the 2nd tomorrow. Best time of day to work out - for me anyway.

@SKrueger

Do some squats. I have to wear shoes - not my slippers - but this is one of the best exercises. You don't have to go anywhere. Do a few - work to get your thighs parallel to the deck (floor) and hit a couple of sets.

Simple place to start.

Use a chair if you need to for balance.

I have a couple of kettle bells, easy to do squats with those as I cook my breakfast.
And I alternate dates with swings - that is a way to get my heart rate up - 30 seconds and I have doubled my resting rate.

Stronger legs without weights? - Maggie's Farm

This is a series of posts -
Physical Fitness - Maggie's Farm

@SKrueger

Do some squats. I have to wear shoes - not my slippers - but this is one of the best exercises. You don't have to go anywhere. Do a few - work to get your thighs parallel to the deck (floor) and hit a couple of sets.

Simple place to start.

Use a chair if you need to for balance.

I have a couple of kettle bells, easy to do squats with those as I cook my breakfast.

God I wish I could but with my bad knee my wife would have to call 911 to get me back off the floor. :( I really just need to start with cardio and work my way back into this thing.

Glucosamine is a must have for my daily vitamin use, on top of my multi vitamin.

It takes me about 3 weeks to realize the difference but man it really helps my knees.

After consistent use, I notice a negative effect on my knees about 1 week after stopping it.

3 knee surgeries in and with as cheap as they are at Costco and pretty much everywhere else - I recommend it for anyone with joint pain.

I like the site examine as they only try to sell you information - and you don't have to buy anything to research supplements etc.

Glucosamine - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects

My wife had 2 different knee tweaks - nothing torn (no surgery )
Still working that range of motion on the knee every day to come back from those. Exercise given by physical therapist. She does this watching TV. Things like, while sitting lift the knee up a few inches.
My co-worker who is out on medical leave for knee, is in the pool for therapy. And, on a stationary bike. I think that alternates.

Glucosamine is a must have for my daily vitamin use, on top of my multi vitamin.

It takes me about 3 weeks to realize the difference but man it really helps my knees.

After consistent use, I notice a negative effect on my knees about 1 week after stopping it.

3 knee surgeries in and with as cheap as they are at Costco and pretty much everywhere else - I recommend it for anyone with joint pain.

I went off glucosamine for a while, definitely felt the difference in my joints. Back on it, things definitely improve.

2nd workout in the bag! Was a bit stiff/sore starting out after Wednesday's inaugural workout, but after a little warmup I worked through it and got my cardio and some light lifting done. Back at it first thing Monday morning. Feeling really good right now :)

Last Edited:
now I need to get going on better sleep habits and eat better...

What do you mean by "better" ?

I ask because this is non-specific. I am going to eat "better" sugar? "better" hamburgers?

To get more nutrients, I replaced lettuce in all applications with spinach. ( I know not everyone can do that - blood thinners, etc) That is "better" for me -> more nutritious = more nutrients/calorie. Get nutrients from food, not supplements.
I eat low glycemic index carbs - no sugar, no white bread. "better" carbs, is "slow" carbs.

I was looking at one area, Fibre (Fiber) and see that for many people 25 is the recommended daily quantity. 1 oz by weight. But, that turns out to be the level for women. 38 - 1.5 is for men. Now, I expect the real number is based upon weight. But I didnt' find that number.
So, I have started to chase Fibre -
Oikino's Triple Zero Yogurt, which I eat as a "protien" (2 8oz tubs / 1 in each of between mean snacks) has "a lot" of fibre - 6 in the serving for about 150 cal. . A 7 in banana (med) is 3g in 100 cal.
1 serving 1/2 cup dry old fashion oatmeal is also at 4g Fibre in 150 cal.
I am also adding Lentils to my lunch salad. 1/2 cup cooked 7g fibre 120cal.

Since i am on a 3 meals + 3 snacks / day plan, to get the 42g Fibre that is 7gr / meal_snack.

found it:
The national fiber recommendations are 30 to 38 grams a day for men and 25 grams a day for women between 18 and 50 years old, and 21 grams a day if a woman is 51 and older. Another general guideline is to get 14 grams of fiber for every 1,000 calories in your diet.Jun 2, 2011
Fiber: How Much Is Too Much? - Guide to Daily Fiber - Everyday Health
Fiber: How Much Is Too Much?

Each 5.3oz pot of Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt -
- 6g fiber, 15g protein , 7g sugar (naturally occurring),
0g fat and 120 calories, said the company. Jan 5, 2015

The NY Times Weighs In

People who would like to become physically stronger should start with weight training and add protein to their diets, according to a comprehensive scientific review of research.

Lift Weights, Eat More Protein, Especially if You're Over 40

The researchers also looked for the sweet spot for protein intake, which turned out to be about 1.6 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. In practical terms, that would amount to about 130 grams of protein a day for a 175-pound man. (A chicken breast has about 45 grams of protein.)
1 breast with out bone or skin is estimated at 190g 7oz (rounded)

Should you consume protein based upon the weight you are, or the weight you want to be, or your "ideal" weight (doctors charts not insurance ) ?

250 Lbs = 115 kg (rounded) = 185g protein (rounded)

https://g.co/kgs/Uv3sJg

note:
Current federal recommendations: suggest about 56 grams of protein a day for men and 46 grams a day for women.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top