JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Same here at 200# (that's a pound sign for you young folk - archaic I knowo_O).

People ask me if I'm sick or that i need to eat more. At least they did the last time I was there but I was also not in shape or in good condition then either.

Last time I was down around 200, people thought I was sick - and I was in the best shape of my life. To top it off, my Dr wanted me down to 180 - based on the charts.

Those charts are full of bubblegum. I was told I need to be 200! Can you imagine me at 200 lbs? :confused:

Like this, but without the suit? :rolleyes:

68E41987-1CBA-475F-A60C-E5D4CA332CCB.jpeg

I went into basic training (eons ago) at 198 and came out at 198. I looked pretty skinny too(eons ago). Lol. Good times...

I went in looking normal and came out looking like I just got our of a concentration camp! As soon as I hit my duty station I gained a bunch of weight but it was mostly muscle. Yep good times had by all! :D

Saturday morning I took the class. Late in the day and then all day Sun, I was in a lot of pain in one shoulder muscle - I was couch bound. This was not what I was expecting. I expected the Delayed onset muscle soreness - which is ordinary, especially when doing new exercise. (Think the first time in the garden after the winter, 2 days later you are sore) I got that soreness on Monday. I am still feeling some pain today.

Looking up symptoms I came up with something to be aware of (as it tends to hit the over 40s)
RHABDOMYOLYSIS ("RHABDO") It is RARE.
There are a triad of 3 symptoms to really watch for. The first is what I experienced, the unexpected, extreme pain, come on quickly, and often in the shoulder.

"The "classic triad" of rhabdomyolysis symptoms are: muscle pain in the shoulders, thighs, or lower back; muscle weakness or trouble moving arms and legs; and dark red or brown urine or decreased urination."

"The symptoms of Rhabdo include muscle pain, stiffness and extreme weakness, darkening of the urine (similar to the color of tea or cola), decreased urine output, altered mental status, swelling of the body part involved, either with or without pain. "

I did not, and have not, had any changes to my urine output nor color.

Maybe a bit TMI. But forewarned is fore armed.

Saturday morning I took the class. Late in the day and then all day Sun, I was in a lot of pain in one shoulder muscle - I was couch bound. This was not what I was expecting. I expected the Delayed onset muscle soreness - which is ordinary, especially when doing new exercise. (Think the first time in the garden after the winter, 2 days later you are sore) I got that soreness on Monday. I am still feeling some pain today.

Looking up symptoms I came up with something to be aware of (as it tends to hit the over 40s)
RHABDOMYOLYSIS ("RHABDO") It is RARE.
There are a triad of 3 symptoms to really watch for. The first is what I experienced, the unexpected, extreme pain, come on quickly, and often in the shoulder.

"The "classic triad" of rhabdomyolysis symptoms are: muscle pain in the shoulders, thighs, or lower back; muscle weakness or trouble moving arms and legs; and dark red or brown urine or decreased urination."

"The symptoms of Rhabdo include muscle pain, stiffness and extreme weakness, darkening of the urine (similar to the color of tea or cola), decreased urine output, altered mental status, swelling of the body part involved, either with or without pain. "

I did not, and have not, had any changes to my urine output nor color.

Maybe a bit TMI. But forewarned is fore armed.

Dude your sore. Really sore! You aint got no rare disease. :s0140:

It happens to me every time I go back to the gym to make a recovery from a surgery or whatever shut me down.

Were older. And have abused our muscles and body systems more.
It takes longer to get over the initial soreness. And less to cause it.

You are going to feel some discomfort for a while. And hopefully you'll get over the hump.
If not? That's normal to. You will just have to settle with being one of the weak, and or obese people that make up most of our society.

Good luck. ;)

Last Edited:
Continuing with the regular workout this morning. Added a few extra minutes of cardio. Also added in my first try at planking for developing the core strength. Supposed to be much better and more effective than doing things like sit ups, which can hurt your lower back. I have to say, I like it better too.

Continuing with the regular workout this morning. Added a few extra minutes of cardio. Also added in my first try at planking for developing the core strength. Supposed to be much better and more effective than doing things like sit ups, which can hurt your lower back. I have to say, I like it better too.

I like those on small yoga balls. Helps with your other core muscles because you have to keep balanced a bit.

Keep it up Erik!!!:cool:

I have set my goals to start next week. We will be gone for the weekend so I am sure there will be plenty of drinking and eating. So Tuesday is the scheduled start day.

I really need to get better at drinking water that is a huge down fall of mine.

I like those on small yoga balls. Helps with your other core muscles because you have to keep balanced a bit.

Keep it up Erik!!!:cool:

Thanks Joe. I've done a little reading on how to use variations on planking to improve even more. Since I'm just starting, I'll keep it simple, but that sounds like a great thing to move up to. I did do the 3 point plank this morning, which is supposed to be more beneficial - it wasn't as difficult as I had imagined.

I have set my goals to start next week. We will be gone for the weekend so I am sure there will be plenty of drinking and eating. So Tuesday is the scheduled start day.

I really need to get better at drinking water that is a huge down fall of mine.

We'll help cheer you on Steffan! I'm so glad I started, I'm already finding myself missing it on my rest days. Ultimately my goal is to get up to some kind of exercise (cardio at least) at least 5 times a week. Staying with 3 days for now is helping to minimize the pain/soreness that might otherwise stop me from doing this.

giphy.gif

Two years. And 40 pages to this thread.

Final analysis?
Everybody is in the same place they were two years ago.

Or worse. :s0153:

Somehow sticking with a regular exercise program just isn't an easy thing for some folks...I full acknowledge my tendency to fall away. Always looking for that motivation that not only gets me going again, but keeps me going. Hopefully this is that time - 'cause it's feeling really good right now.

Two years. And 40 pages to this thread.

Final analysis?
Everybody is in the same place they were two years ago.

Or worse. :s0153:

I'll have to disagree on that one.

I may not have started a regular program but....

I am not completely exhausted when I get home from work.

I am way more flexible, I can straight leg and put my hands flat on the floor.

Getting down and up off the ground is not a problem like it was and causes me no pain.

My shorts are too loose on me but I can't quite make a size down yet.

In general I am eating better, though not as well as I'd like.

I have been able to get some lifting in as well as get my job done some days.

My knees and back are not constantly bothering me.

I am able to get much closer to 100% on my Bi-monthly Preventative Maintenace log at work vs 10% when I started.

Now I will admit my job is a large factor in my wellness but because it is so demanding at times, I have had to make realistic goals and that doesn't include working out (outside of working) 5 days a week now.

I am working out with my boss when i can, who is a prior Fitness Manager and a prior amature body builder who came up from a 300lb couch potato - so between that and plans with the personal trainers here I am making pretty good progress.

My problem areas are falling back into comfort food and drinks when i am overly stressed, so if I could get that under control then Id probably be down to that next pant size that I have set as my goal.

I am not as motivated as some people but it has been inspiring to hear about what you and some of the other people are doing and getting encouragement from others to continue to at least try and get on a regular program.

If I lost 25-30 by this summer I'd be pretty happy;).

And Honestly, if this thread only motivated one person like etrain then imo it has been worth 2 years and 800 or so posts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top