JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Took the wife and pup on a 3.5 mile hike through uneven terrain in the woods.
We have some new roads courtesy of Stimpson, and one of them is a non-stop 15 minute uphill climb.

Also spent 2 hours splitting firewood by hand.

Well, I'm back on the wagon in full swing.

My job keeps my heart rate up intermittently all day and some things are more stressful (physically) then others.

However, after almost 9 months, I have started lifting and hitting the cardio on my lunch break. Started last week and have been going strong. Have missed a couple days because I way over did it last Friday and dang near couldn't lift my arms for 3 days lol. Lesson learned;).

I have found I'm sleeping hard and am tired in the AM's (cut out most sugar and drinking water almost exclusively - may ad some hot tea but that triggers adding a sweetener for me). I do feel better during the day though.

I'd like to thank @clearconscience for his continued prodding to get my bubblegum straight and get my body healthy, not just functional. Also my boss for incourginng me daily.

I'm set on getting past the beginning hurdle, keeping up and increasing the intensity.

Life is good:)

This is the thread I guess .any way I smoke been trying to quit for ever I drink not really trying to quit lol anyway I'm 48 years old and just got news today that one of my friends from when I was young died yesterday from a heart attack mmmmm we are the same age played little league and highschool football to gather we didn't stay in touch except through other friends via Facebook the pictures I have seen he gained weight but other than that I don't know the details mmmmmm got me thinking I need to change my ways especially quit smoking and do more exercise

I do drive a truck for work but I also walk a lot any body here have info on quit smoking recommend I have tried patch gum cold turkey I'm pretty head strong about most things what I mean is I'm not weak minded except when it comes to cigarettes mmmmm

Each person is different and what works for one is not necessarily what will work for another. I had smoked from the time i was 14 until I was 55. Tried to quit a number of times with little success. I decided I didn't want to smoke anymore and with my wife's blessings if I quit the money that was used to buy cigarettes could be used to buy guns, ammo, etc. I have now been smoke free for 11 years now and have a nice collection of guns instead of a pile of cigarette butts. If I had used all the money I used to spend on cigarettes my collection would probably 2 to 3 times the size it is today. This is what worked for me and what works for one is not necessarily what will work for another.

The only reason I quit smoking cigars was because it became inconvenient. Local stores sold bad cigars, the only decent ones were at SOME gun shows (lately less often), and normally took 2 hours out of the day. Cigar smoking ruining the flavor of the whiskey and pălincă did not help either.

Some people use distractions to quit smoking until it just never crosses their mind.

I'll still smoke a good cigar once every year or two.

I love it while I'm smoking it but the after taste and smell makes me want to take a shower and use a bunch of mouth wash.

Still working hard and on the days I don't sweat much, very few, I'll get some lifting in.

Dang it if I'm not bone tired at night... 9pm hits and I'm 2 min from being dead asleep lol.

I just had some unscheduled exercise. Towards the end of the long and winding road that leads to our house, I find a tree laying right across said. Since I couldn't safely turn around, I hike up to the house, get a chainsaw, cleared it, and on my way. This isn't the first time and likely won't be the last time either. ;)

This is the thread I guess .any way I smoke been trying to quit for ever I drink not really trying to quit lol anyway I'm 48 years old and just got news today that one of my friends from when I was young died yesterday from a heart attack mmmmm we are the same age played little league and highschool football to gather we didn't stay in touch except through other friends via Facebook the pictures I have seen he gained weight but other than that I don't know the details mmmmmm got me thinking I need to change my ways especially quit smoking and do more exercise

I was about the same as you when I "woke up". Smoked since I was 14, drinking and partying in HS and my Army duty was a 2.5 year drinking contest...
I saw the way my parents heath declined from smoking and they quit at 50.
I quit at 52, I breath easier, cough way less & feel so much better on those aspects but do have craving once in a while.
Cold turkey is the best way to quit, yeah you will feel like your going crazy but stay the course. Be truthful to yourself, cut or stop the drinking & don't cheat.

Good luck Bro.;)

Oh & I woke up & rolled out of bed after a well deserved power nap before breakfast.:D

About 4 years ago I thought I was going to retire to the recliner. Not a good long range plan. My nephew had been on the Ketogenic diet and it cured his migraines, he lost the weight he wanted to lose and general health was much better. I decided, what have I got to lose, so I started it also. BOOM. Lost 80 pounds of unwanted fat, feel 200% better! Lots of energy! Retired 3 years ago and never felt better. Being 65, I got a Silver Sneakers membership at the gym and getting my arthritis pains under control.
Being a bit of a prepper, I was concerned about physically defending hearth and home. I feel much more confident about my ability to do so now. Ketogenic diet is the key. Anyone interested, please give a shout. Happy to help anyone wanting to get out of the yo-yo eating fads. This is an easy lifestyle change.

I am almost to this point...

I've never been a weekday breakfast eater so that's easy.

I cut my lunch down to 300-400 calories currently but I'm taking that out as of tomorrow.

90%+ of my calories I eat at dinner so I'm going to try this once a day thing and hope my body doesn't get too angry.

The only thing I'm unable to do is the coffee so I'm going to make a jug of black tea and try that for the energy.

It's a pretty interesting video and well produced with links to all of the statements made.

Ran 2 miles today!
Been running 2 miles 3 times a week.
Adding in some weights when I can.

Getting 2 miles in 20mins. 10mins mile isn't great. Need that back down in the 8s, but not bad for not running in a few years

I cut my lunch down to 300-400 calories currently but I'm taking that out as of tomorrow.

90%+ of my calories I eat at dinner so I'm going to try this once a day thing and hope my body doesn't get too angry.

The only thing I'm unable to do is the coffee so I'm going to make a jug of black tea and try that for the energy.

It's a pretty interesting video and well produced with links to all of the statements made.

I can't do that. No eating=I actually pass out. Happened twice before, I'm not diabetic and my blood sugar isn't too low either.

That's not a good plan.
If you want to lose weight you want your nature and science to do the work.

The body needs fuel. By eating small meals throughout the day you making your body's natural science do the work. It will boost your metabolism and your body will burn more fat.
Thats why when you eat breakfast your hungry again sooner, your body is boosting metabolism and burning more calories.

If you eat one large meal a day, you do trick your body but it can (and mostly will) have negative impacts. Your body is still working, burning calories, and needs fuel. It will put you in a caloric deficit, However, when you body does get food it stores more of it because it goes into starvation mode.
So you can actually gain more weight and increase cortisol product due to your body's stress.
More than likely over time your will burn more muscle, and hurt your organs.
You also eat a larger than normal portion and that grows your stomach, giving you a bigger belly.

Can't fight science. Let science fight for you.

I am on the 6 meals a day plan.

Minimize fats (calorie dense) but not 0

Carbs - slow carbs (low glycemic index)- no sugar, no white rice, no white bread. OK - Fruits, corn is a carb, whole wheat bread, pasta (hard wheat) etc

Proteins - 4-6oz most of these meals (breakfast/lunch/dinner). Depends upon protein level. So two eggs. a Yogurt is 8oz (plain) 2 oz of chicken/turkey/pork, 3 of canned tuna.

The in between meals (snacks) get 2oz of protien + 1 carb - typical I'll have yogurt & blueberries I add. Almonds & bananas. Milk.

Seasonings are ok. not store sauces. I could make my own to ensure no sugar etc.

2 cups of dark green leafy - spinach / kale. I am eating a salad with meat, beans/lentil for lunch to do this.

I am eating less over all, an am almost never hungry. I have a hard time getting 6 in - 4 sure, 5 i can do it, but 6 is tough.

Veggies ( most ) are unlimited, so should I be hungry, eat more. I keep carrots at work too.

8x 8oz water. I find a bottle easier than a cup. But black coffee/tea counts as water.

For my size I should need 2500 calories a day to maintain. I am eating 1500-1800. Goal is to loose 2 lbs/month.

I am down 10lbs since the new year. I had put on 5 from Mid Oct to then, so I am down 5 since Halloween.

I have also added 3x 1 mile walks a day. Around my building, inside, I get 1 mile. I go when I get to work, over lunch, and then before I leave. I also take all the stairs - amounts to 7 flights, one at a time. Find a stair, go up, or down (2 floor facility)
Under 20 mins each walk. I have read that for fat burning, walking has to be 'long' that is the first 20 mins does not really count. But I don't have a way to change to rain gear - nor get to a gym easily. So I'll take what I can. Weekends I am rucking - that is put on a pack with weight, and walk for an hour straight.

And a few kettle bell swings in the morning while my eggs cook.

ref : Tim Ferriss Slow Carb diet.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads