JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most experienced trainers will tell you that it takes that long for a middle-aged-to-older person get into decent functional condition.

The human body is remarkably adaptable, but adaptation is not quick except at the very beginning of a 5-6 day/week program. Progress can seem fast for the first few months, assuming the starting point is poor condition, but then it gets slow.

What is poor condition? It's where I used to be. To find out, take a gym calisthenics class and see how you do, or get a trainer's assessment. He or she will discover your limits very quickly with agility tests, cardio tests, strength tests, endurance tests, and just by observing your body at rest and under effort. When I began, I was not overweight on a scale, but I was - with excess fat, and underweight in muscle. I ended up gaining 15+ lbs with little visible fat.

Why does it take that long to build a good foundation for future fitness-building and maintenance?Not for great fitness, just for passable fitness?

Continue reading "Why does it take two years for physical fitness? The mental strength and growth occurs alongside the physical."

Maggie's Farm

Funny stuff guys, I can relate to both of your statements ! LOL They tuckered me out too EPS, that's for sure !!

I bunged up my neck, shoulder and crushed some nerves in a fall in 06 and ain't been right sense. I sure can relate to getting upright some days too Joe13, Man it's a chore some days ain't it !!! But I still have 10 million projects going on all at once it seems, so no matter what I always get exercise one way or the other,,whether the body likes it or not!
It still get neck spasms that will put me to my knees sometimes, even after 11 years. But I just suck it up and do my best at getting chit done. It just takes lots longer,,,

I'm a far cry from the way I was that's for damn sure, but at 67 I still get her done. Come Hell or high water.
Up side,, at least I can say that I've learned to be a bit more patience nowadays !! LOL

Lol that made me tired just reading it HEHEH

If you asked how I was yesterday I would have said getting much better.

This morning though I actually hollered as I rolled over to get up because my back spasmed so bad.

Can't do much until this back thing gets better.

At physical therapy every 3 weeks right now for it. My upper left back is all knotted up and my lower back is doing all the work according to the gal that is working on me.

She watched me walk to the door and back, had me lay on my stomach and immediately poked the sorest parts of my back. So I think she knows what she is doing.
I'm Chomping at the bits right now waiting for late bear and deer to open up the 11th. I've spotted dandies of both, nowwwww,,,to be in the right spot at the right time ! I found a nice dry doe for muzzle loader season in December too. She's got a neat distinguishing mark on her shoulder so she'll be easy to spot again. She's a pretty good size old girl and has always thrown at least 2 offspring each year , so she's always got a free pass. This is her second year dry, time to harvest her I guess.

So for the next 2 months, hunting and packaging venison , will be my exercise and projects be damned !!!

The dog walks me an average of 4-5 miles a day everyday. Now that its cooler out she generally trots the 1st 2+ and I have to speedwalk to try to keep up. she'll alternate the rest of the way. I call her my personal trainer. :)

The exercise shows on her a lot more than it has on me tho I did lose 10-12 lbs when we started in July. She was a fat sausage with legs when we started and hasn't lost more than 3-4 lbs but the fat has turned into muscle. 1st pic is the day I got her and the second 6 weeks or so later. She's even more heavily muscled now. Less than knee high and around 70 lbs.

Untitled.jpg
C3IKh5P9_400x400.jpg

Last Edited:
Hit the new gym. The gym I've been working out at, more or less religiously, the last 10+ years shut down, so I had to scramble to find a new one. It isn't easy in an area this rural. The new gym's facilities, frankly, suck, but the equipment contained therein is more than solid and is, arguably, better than the old place. I'm finally getting into the grove there and enjoying the benefits. Healthy and strong is the way to be.

:s0094:

Sense hunting season started I've been humping the mountains pretty regular looking for that elusive "Rackasaurus". My pedometer says I did 12.5 miles yesterday starting at about 1000' > sea level to just under 5800'> and back . Phewwwwww !

I'm pushing 68,,,so that ain't to shabby IMHO ,considering most of where I was was mostly up and down tons of ledges. I defiantly took a long long walk yesterday. I'm Paying for it today too mister! That's my daily work out.

Good thing it's raining cats and dogs today or I'd be there again. Weather my knees are screaming at me or not! I lovingly call one spot,,," the stair master from Hell", and believe me ,,it is!!! But that's where the big boys bed down, so that's where I go.

I got busted by a nice at least 8 pointer with a couple possible kickers that would push close to 200 lbs clean dressed. Nice deer. The bugger came outa his bed at about 10 yards behind me and before I could even get spun around,, he disappeared. He cleared a 10-12 foot ledge and landed below me on a trail maybe 8"-10" wide that skirted the cliff. He was out of my sight in a second and the last I saw him he was about 200 m away and 300-400 feet below me through some serious thick trash leaving me nothing but 2 shots. Neither one I took because he just presented his rump and his hind quarter both times,,I had to pass. :mad:

Tomorrow,,,,,,,,,,,,:s0015:

Running. Lifting weights. They're meant to make you healthier and fitter right?

While getting some kind of structured physical exercise is widely seen as healthy, researchers didn't know the exact effects of exercise on parameters like waist circumference, triglycerides, blood sugar levels, and more.

This meta-analysis of 16 randomized trials provides some useful data on both cardio and cardio + lifting together.

Is exercise enough to improve the metabolic syndrome?

65 year-old heart patient goes for it

Rippetoe is the pro, and I am just an educated amateur but I'd rather see this particular client engaged in a balanced fitness program along with some "nutritional" aka eating guidance. Still, the results are impressive: From Heart Patient to Lifter

But can he run (not jog) a mile? Readers know we favor a balance of HIIT Cardio (total 1/2 hr/wk), Endurance "cardio" (1 hr/wk), serious weights (2 sessions/wk), and calisthenics (2 sessions/wk) for full functional fitness. I doubt that Rippetoe would argue with that, but he is mostly a weights guy. I don't know about our readers, but I find a one-hour calisthenics class to be more challenging - and more satisfying at the end - than anything else I do. They get you jumping and moving like a 16 year-old. The endorphins make you feel like you can take on the world, but you can hardly walk or talk. That tells you that you have done something hard.

Age is no barrier to any fitness pursuit. The body is made to adapt to demands. The discipline to make those stress and dietary demands is the hardest part, but it builds character. No pain, no gain. Best not to wait until you are scared into it by a nasty problem.

Ran 3 miles today, only the 2nd time in 2 years!
Took me 30 mins which was horrible, but was really good for the amount of time I've been lazy.
Also signed up for the Spartan race in August, no backing out now!

Last Edited:
Didn't exercise today, but I did get in four good early morning sessions this week. I've actually started doing regular pushups again; it had hurt my back too much for a long time and had to do them on my knees. I've built up enough strength they are in my repertoire again; not that I'm doing many at one time...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top