JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Currently doing physical therapy on my right knee which gave me some bad trouble two weeks ago. Had to go and have 40cc of fluid off it, and a cortisone injection. The PT dude is good, and has shown me how compensating for the pain caused me more trouble. The plan now is to replace the knee in October after building it up for the next 3 months. When you compromise your mobility at my age, it is a real downer and I need to keep in shape.

Planning on hiking to the Deschutes this week end and maybe a short fishing trip to 3 Creeks Lake, plus some work at the property. A week ago I could hardly move the leg at all. Pretty fortunate to be better. Stay in shape as you age, it makes things a lot better.

Currently doing physical therapy on my right knee which gave me some bad trouble two weeks ago. Had to go and have 40cc of fluid off it, and a cortisone injection. The PT dude is good, and has shown me how compensating for the pain caused me more trouble. The plan now is to replace the knee in October after building it up for the next 3 months. When you compromise your mobility at my age, it is a real downer and I need to keep in shape.

Planning on hiking to the Deschutes this week end and maybe a short fishing trip to 3 Creeks Lake, plus some work at the property. A week ago I could hardly move the leg at all. Pretty fortunate to be better. Stay in shape as you age, it makes things a lot better.

Best of luck with the surgery!

I know knee issues are one of the worst from experience. Maybe get some dumbbells for those times when your not mobile. I wish I had used mine more and eaten less during my recovery.

What did I do for exercise?

Well I am a blacksmith working 12 hour days 7 days a week.

When I had the construction business I was working March to October 7 days a week at least 10 hours a day. 60 hours a week the other months. People would ask me if I worked out at all or exercised. :eek::eek: One of my friends went on a equipment hauling trip where I loaded, hauled and unloaded a 52 foot trailer of tractors,excavators to Medford and came back the same day. He understood after that. Probably why I am as beat up as I am. Better decisions back in those days would make a difference now. You hear that young guys ??

i did the elliptical for 20 min wearing 20lbs of body armor and mags. did it yesterday too. wife walks out into the garage, rolls her eyes:rolleyes: and walks back inside

When I had the construction business I was working March to October 7 days a week at least 10 hours a day. 60 hours a week the other months. People would ask me if I worked out at all or exercised. :eek::eek: One of my friends went on a equipment hauling trip where I loaded, hauled and unloaded a 52 foot trailer of tractors,excavators to Medford and came back the same day. He understood after that. Probably why I am as beat up as I am. Better decisions back in those days would make a difference now. You hear that young guys ??

When I was younger I worked hard and got the same type of inquires as you as to whether I worked out. Always used to tell them I worked for a living and I got paid acquiring my lean muscled body. I also used to eat more in two days than I do today in a week. I must of been consuming 5-6,000 calories a day, sounds like you were doing the same. For a bring you own meat BBQ I would bring a 14-16" round steak to eat myself along with 2-3 baked potatoes and 4-6 ears of corn, not to mention the beer and I stayed at 150-155 until about age 54 when i could no longer work. I used to be almost 5'11" but today at age 66 I am lucky to be 5'9" tall and I weight in at 190-195. Getting old sucks big time to me and I feel it. I am beat up also but I had fun doing it, an office job would have drove me nuts. I also smoked like a chimney for almost 40 years until one day 12 years ago I decided it wasn't enjoyable any more and quit cold turkey.

May sound silly but if it helps...

Working with the goals I set myself.

Today was a great day. I doubled my daily goal for activity, almost doubled my daily exercise amount. Went on a nice bike ride at 9:15 this evening. I'd display the map but it's GPS based... nobody needs to know the caves location.

Red: Activity
Green: exercise
Blue: standing (not sitting)

IMG_3719.PNG

@Dyjital Which app is that? I've been starting to think about getting something similar... I really need to get my act together on something I can knock out in about a half hour a day to get back down to the sub-200# mark. (Already heavy on meat, switching to more chicken and turkey than I used to, adding some more vegetables, frozen fruit bars instead of ice cream for cooling, green tea and fruit/vegetable juices replacing most of my daily sodas aside from the morning Dr Pepper caffeine kickstart... so now it's time to ratchet up the calorie burn, preferably something I can do without having to go out into the heat.)

@Dyjital Which app is that? I've been starting to think about getting something similar... I really need to get my act together on something I can knock out in about a half hour a day to get back down to the sub-200# mark. (Already heavy on meat, switching to more chicken and turkey than I used to, adding some more vegetables, frozen fruit bars instead of ice cream for cooling, green tea and fruit/vegetable juices replacing most of my daily sodas aside from the morning Dr Pepper caffeine kickstart... so now it's time to ratchet up the calorie burn, preferably something I can do without having to go out into the heat.)

Do you have stairs in your house?

They are a huge calorie burner.

I'm still at 275...

However, I have sagging skin and gut so I assume I'm building my muscle back up with muscle being heavier and all.

Still most of my excersise is at work. Had to call in yeasterday because of an aggravated back muscle that has been getting worse the last couple days.

Doc put me on 2 weeks of prednisone so I plan to make the best of it and try to get a little more muscle while avoiding more back pain.

That's a possibility... six flights up, elevator back down, rinse and repeat a few times then reward myself with a V8 and a fruit bar... I'm starting from around 225-230 (admittedly at 5'6") so I have a little less dropping to do.

Not looking to buff up or go into bodybuilding or get "ripped," just want the spare tire's top-line back below the bottom of my ribcage where it doesn't interfere with tying shoes, or breathing, or... :)

Last Edited:

Apple Watch....

Built in activity monitor, ties into your Health app to bring everything from your sleep patterns to heart rate, steps etc into one location.

My personal calendar since adding the Watch....

It's just super handy knowing when you are doing good and when you aren't.

IMG_3733.jpg

Did about 35 miles and 3000' of vertical gain this morning starting around 5 on the bike with a bro... circuitous route up and down Mount Scott a few times, mostly before traffic got crappy. And by the time rush hour set in, we were on ye ol' 205 trail headed home, so got a pretty sweet urban training session in with almost no traffic. We've been doing 1-2 rides like this a week for the last few weeks, in addition to rides I can sneak in elsewhere. GREAT having a training partner willing to get up before dawn and git r dun.

The best results I've experienced and observed in others started with an early AM routine. If you can prioritize it, get to bed at a healthy hour, get the workout over before work - the rest of your life just falls in place around it. No excuses for being tired after a long day, no excuses for not having enough time at lunch, etc. Got it done before you did anything else, and it didn't even cut into work or family time.

My wife did this with great success. Bought a gym membership and signed up for early AM classes, and started going 5 days a week. Got in GREAT shape... right before she left me.

Built my custom workbench part of Friday nite and most of yesterday. 4x4 legs 2x4s with Simpson Strong ties, 28 inch top surface 20 inch bottom shelf and top is 40 inches high. All this with temps starting at 80 and ending in the low 100s. Sweated my arse off since I had only a 7.25 Skil saw and an old single speed Craftsman reversible as some tools still packed! Sweated a lot more today unpacking and rearranging boxes in th garage, putting up our shelving units so can fit car and 1 motorcycle in garage. We signed on this place 1 month ago and really like it for Kommiefornia. More details later but it has wood stove, propane stove and dryer. Lots of water near by, so SHTF that isn't an issue. Stucco with cement tile roof so pretty fire resistant. I am down 18 lbs since went back on LowCarb High Fat regimen. Doc said I better lose weight in mid June and gave me 90 days if' I don't want to take pills. I'll have dropped 30 come 3rd week in Sep when I see him.

Going to start walks after get house and garage in order but righ now the NorCal gulag is too fragging hot! :mad:

Brutus Out

Early this year, to deliver on my New Year's resolution, I started working out. I found this brilliant exercise for people who have a hard time getting into the habit of working out.

Here's how it goes - begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.

With a 5-lb potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, and then relax. Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato sacks. Then try 50-lb potato sacks and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute. (I'm at this level.)

After you feel confident at that level, put one potato in each of the sacks...

Upper body exercise plan - Maggie's Farm

Started my personal trainer sessions today (only because I have a few free ones:rolleyes:).

Worked on leg and core stuff along with stretching.

Going to alternate upper body and lower for a few months.

Now back to work:D.

Went cycling with a friend. First time on a bike in 20 years. Why do they have to make the seat the size of a f-ing spoon?

My undercarriage will be healing for a week. Always kicked myself for not getting a vasectomy since I've never wanted to be married or have brats. Perhaps if I just biked more. o_O

A Pill to Make Exercise Obsolete

PPAR-delta receptor

Evans began giving 516 to laboratory mice that regularly used an exercise wheel, he found that, after just four weeks on the drug, they had increased their endurance—how far they could run, and for how long—by as much as seventy-five per cent. Meanwhile, their waistlines ("the cross-sectional area," in scientific parlance) and their body-fat percentage shrank; their insulin resistance came down; and their muscle-composition ratio shifted toward so-called slow-twitch fibres, which tire slowly and burn fat, and which predominate in long-distance runners.

Evans explained, lay in a daily dose of GW501516: a drug that confers the beneficial effects of exercise without the need to move a muscle.

Evans's doped mice ran farther, in part because their muscles had been told to burn fat and save carbohydrates, which meant that they took longer to "hit the wall"—the painful sensation encountered when muscles exhaust their glucose store.

Although 516 has not been approved as a drug, plenty of people are taking it.

Iron Julius still takes 516, although lately he has noticed a decrease in the drug's quality. "I'm a volunteer firefighter so stamina at times is very important," he explained. "If you research, many police and firefighters are on some form of performance-enhancing substance as the jobs are sometimes physically demanding." Iron Julius told me that around a third of the people he sees at the gym are using 516, without any side effects that he's heard about. When I asked whether he would recommend it, his response was, "Hell yeah man, try it. It don't mess with hormones and it increases performance."

So I ordered some. ... Below that were two contradictory phrases: "Rx only" and "Not for human consumption."

---

Tetradecyl Thioacetic Acid - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects

Last Edited:
If you asked how I was yesterday I would have said getting much better.

This morning though I actually hollered as I rolled over to get up because my back spasmed so bad.

Can't do much until this back thing gets better.

At physical therapy every 3 weeks right now for it. My upper left back is all knotted up and my lower back is doing all the work according to the gal that is working on me.

She watched me walk to the door and back, had me lay on my stomach and immediately poked the sorest parts of my back. So I think she knows what she is doing.

SHOCKING NEWS FROM THE WORLD OF SCIENCE: A Lesson From the Biggest Losers: Exercise Keeps Off the Weight."On average, those who managed to maintain a significant weight loss had 80 minutes a day of moderate activity, like walking, or 35 minutes a day of vigorous exercise, like running."

The researchers conducting the new study did not distinguish between purposeful exercise, like going to the gym and working out, and exercise done over the course of the day, like walking to work or taking the stairs.

I think with low impact activity, like walking, the first minutes, may be upto 30, are just warm up. Don't count in your totals. The fit tracker on my phone can say I did an hour, when I know I just mostly sat at my bench working*.

---

Tip: Grow Thicker Muscle Fibers | T Nation

Exercise is for health - move. Just do something and move.

Diet is for weight = eat right for your body, changes over time. But, it seems to me to watch for inflammation and insulin resistance applies to most everyone.

* on NWFA

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads