JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good quote -- Don't lose fat/weight to get healthy, get healthy to lose weight. SNAP Fitness is a nice gym here locally in Portland and other nearby cities. 24/7 access even though they do insist on you wearing a face diaper even if you are alone. Not the small businesses' fault. Sunnyside road SNAP is a great gym for $30/month inc. access to all other locations.

Good quote -- Don't lose fat/weight to get healthy, get healthy to lose weight. SNAP Fitness is a nice gym here locally in Portland and other nearby cities. 24/7 access even though they do insist on you wearing a face diaper even if you are alone. Not the small businesses' fault. Sunnyside road SNAP is a great gym for $30/month inc. access to all other locations.

Must depend on the owner. I haven't had to wear a mask since this started at the SNAP I go to.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/advance-article/doi/10.1093/ajcn/nqab270/6369073

update, added:

Gary Taubes on overweight people

"The twin epidemics of obesity and diabetes have become a public health crisis, one the director of the World Health Organization has called a slow-motion disaster and the World Bank has called a ticking time bomb. Those assessments were made prior to the appearance of Covid-19, for which obesity and diabetes are second only to advanced age in elevating the likelihood of bad outcomes. The failure to make meaningful progress either treating or preventing obesity cannot be ignored."

Not for nothing, the plurality, of deaths from COVID have been in people with Diabetes in one form or another ~40%.

"Obesity is not an energy balance disorder, but a hormonal or constitutional disorder, a dysregulation of fat storage and metabolism, a disorder of fuel-partitioning. "

Last Edited:
Last few days got many miles of mt. walking in. Today I took a nap on a recliner in the backyard until my wife woke me up trying tomowaround me.

Here is an October Challenge:

3 miles / Day -- or -- 1 hour of movement.
Typical walking pace is 20 mins/mile.

And, you need some kind of tracking, which a cocktail napkin is fine.
Make a post if you are committing to this.

Cumulative for each day. But not an average, and you can't carry over.

Walk 5 mins from car to doctor. Walk 5 mins from Dr. office to Dairy Queen. It all adds up.
If you already do this, encourage others.

You have 10 days to think about it.

Walk 5 mins from car to doctor. Walk 5 mins from Dr. office to Dairy Queen. It all adds up.

I committed to coaching my kids cross country team, on top of my regular gym schedule. Shouldn't be an issue for me, I'm getting in an extra 3-5 miles/day Monday-Friday. But I'm not really into challenges.

Just remember it is 15% exercise and 85% the foods you do and don't eat. 201 now, and 200 is my limit; losing ten lbs in a week is pretty easy now so never worried.

I will join in the RicInOR Challenge with one hour of movement a day for the month of Oct.

I hit a new seated military press record for myself yesterday.
135 lbs, twice. I like to use 2-3 reps as my benchmark for new weight records. My personal believe is most anyone can move a large amount of weight one time, to do it 3 times takes a good form, real strength, and intensity.
It may not be much for some folks but my right shoulder is shot and i am facing a whole joint replacement when i get old enough(5 more years the doc says) or the joint is no longer usable. Whichever comes first.

I mapped a 3 mile route with my car this morning and just finished walking it (no dog to slow me down). Timed it with my phone and total time was just under 47 minutes.

I mapped a 3 mile route with my car this morning and just finished walking it (no dog to slow me down). Timed it with my phone and total time was just under 47 minutes.
Oh, how I long for the days when I could walk a 15-minute mile. Or run a 5-minute mile (high school cross-country team).
Docs are saying it could be 2 years before I can even wear a shoe... :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads