JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Scientists from the Department of Physiology of the University of Granada (UGR) have shown that caffeine (about 3 mg/kg, the equivalent of a strong coffee) ingested half an hour before aerobic exercise significantly increases the rate of fat-burning. They also found that if the exercise is performed in the afternoon, the effects of the caffeine are more marked than in the morning.

Did a full workout at the gym today. I've gotten it down to working out pretty much every work day and occasionally on Saturday when the weather blows. There is a semi-crappy gym on the same block as my office I go to. As they don't have any wash facilities, I had a shower installed at my office, so I can jog down, workout, rinse off, and be back at it work-wise. It is making it way easier to get in daily workouts, since the good gym in the podunk closed up, and the next closest involves a drive that eats up part of a day. (In an unused part of the office, I also have a bench, free weights, speedbag, and leg press for mini-workouts during the day and also employed when everything was shut down, then open, then shut, yadda-yadda.)

A chunk of my life I was very fit and athletic. Then another, more recently, really not fit, due to a varied of things; some outside my control, some just bad decisions on my part. On one hand, it was humbling to get back into it. On the other, it has been great starting a new journey and seeing results. :)

Did a full workout at the gym today. I've gotten it down to working out pretty much every work day and occasionally on Saturday when the weather blows. There is a semi-crappy gym on the same block as my office I go to. As they don't have any wash facilities, I had a shower installed at my office, so I can jog down, workout, rinse off, and be back at it work-wise. It is making it way easier to get in daily workouts, since the good gym in the podunk closed up, and the next closest involves a drive that eats up part of a day. (In an unused part of the office, I also have a bench, free weights, speedbag, and leg press for mini-workouts during the day and also employed when everything was shut down, then open, then shut, yadda-yadda.)

A chunk of my life I was very fit and athletic. Then another, more recently, really not fit, due to a varied of things; some outside my control, some just bad decisions on my part. On one hand, it was humbling to get back into it. On the other, it has been great starting a new journey and seeing results. :)

Awesome! I firmly believe consistency is the key to success in the gym. Even if you're dragging bubblegum and really don't want to go in, just tell yourself you'll go in and do a moderate workout. Before you know it you'll have a full workout in and happy you decided to get it done.

Congrats on the right choice to start getting fit!

Any of you guys follow YouTube gym people?
I've been watching a few guys and adding a new lift in here and there. It seems to be that they all say a different angle and more intensity will produce results when you plateau.
I'm going to try to pair down my workouts to one muscle group each trip. Hit it really hard, really quick, with high intensity.
I've done this for 2 workouts this week and I like it. I feel more focused.

Any of you guys follow YouTube gym people?
I've been watching a few guys and adding a new lift in here and there. It seems to be that they all say a different angle and more intensity will produce results when you plateau.
I'm going to try to pair down my workouts to one muscle group each trip. Hit it really hard, really quick, with high intensity.
I've done this for 2 workouts this week and I like it. I feel more focused.

I regularly search for exercises and diet tips (diet is just as important) to incorporate into my regimen on youtube and have found some gems. Bodybuilding.com articles and forum posts are also good.

I do a five day split with each day focusing on one body part and this works really well for me. I think I posted my routine in this thread a ways back, although it's slightly outdated now.

_nc_ohc=bVeUbUe_9yUAX9pr5mj&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Yes this is correct, but it only works if you don't eat carbs/sugar, as i understand it, the body will favor sugar over fat all the time.

Started back at the gym in the 221—223 pound range.
This morning and now holding for 2 days..... 212.4 pounds. :D

My biggest changes are food tracking and watching my macros. I've doubled my protein intake. Lots of chicken breast, quinoa, and eggs. I also do a green smoothie twice a day to get all of my greens in.
I've cut 85% of my sugar intake.

Beyond the weight results my muscle definition is coming back with a vengeance. I've altered my gym time to 1 muscle group per visit, hitting it hard with lots of intensity while focusing on the mind/muscle connection. With 15-30 minutes of cardio. 5-6 times per week.

Last Edited:
Started back at the gym in the 221—223 pound range.
This morning and now holding for 2 days..... 212.4 pounds. :D

My biggest changes are foid tracking and watching my macros. I've doubled my protein intake. Lots of chicken breast, quinoa, and eggs. I also do a green smoothie twice a day to get all of my greens in.
I've cut 85% of my sugar intake.

Beyond the weight results my muscle definition is coming back with a vengeance. I've altered my gym time to 1 muscle group per visit, hitting it hard with lots of intensity while focusing on the mind/muscle connection. With 15-30 minutes of cardio. 5-6 times per week.

What exercises are you doing for back? My current regimen for back day is:
1. Dumbell rows
2. Bent over barbell rows
3. Cable rows
4. Lat pull downs
5. Deadlifts

Last Edited:
What exercises are you doing for back? My current regimen for back day is:
1. Dumbell rows
2. Bent over barbell rows
3. Cable rows
4. Lat pull downs
5. Deadlifts

Similar stuff.
Look for an exercise called a Y raise. It can be done with cables or dumbells. It's good for your mid back/lower traps.
I also do a lot of pull-ups either as a warm up or finisher. My shoulders are really f-d up so I have to use the assisted pull up device. I'm working towards body weight only.
Back extensions weighted and non weighted. Contributes to core strength and stability.

I try to work out 6 days a week. My regiment is:
Push ups, sit ups, pull ups all at home and .5 hours on the elliptical for cardio at my complex rec facility. I've tried running trails but all those little hills plays havoc on my left knee. Total time about an hour/day.

I don't like to do free weights. If I want more cardio, I'll shadow box or beat upon my gimpy bag.

My target weight is 140 lbs (I'm 5'5"- 5'6" or so) with 5 lbs to go. I expect to get close at the end of summer. I find the best way to lose weight is to eat smart. I eat to satisfy not eat to be full.

Similar stuff.
Look for an exercise called a Y raise. It can be done with cables or dumbells. It's good for your mid back/lower traps.
I also do a lot of pull-ups either as a warm up or finisher. My shoulders are really f-d up so I have to use the assisted pull up device. I'm working towards body weight only.
Back extensions weighted and non weighted. Contributes to core strength and stability.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just watched a video on how to do Y raises and will try incorporating this during Back Day on Tuesday.

Yes this is correct, but it only works if you don't eat carbs/sugar, as i understand it, the body will favor sugar over fat all the time.
I have yet to find an easy to understand explanation regarding how the body sources it's energy. Keto people will tell you the only way to burn fat is to become fat adapted. Carb fans will tell you sugar is the preferred energy source. I am of the belief that the body can pick or choose as it sees fit. I think any diet that results in calorie deficit will allow your body to burn stored fat. The key is to find a diet that you can stick with. I tried low carb diets in the past but could not stick to them. Currently I am doing what I would consider a lowfat diet and I will stick it out until I complete my 75 Hard challenge but it is not going to be easy. I am losing weight though.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top