JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Found this Sako rifle on Gunbroker and can't figure out what it shoots. Seller doesn't know either, it's a consignment off an estate. Wondering if someone out there has the knowledge it's stamped 7. pix153825818.jpg pix289595750.jpg 62 x 1.579 Squared, meaning there's a little 2 up past the 9. Pics included, Thanks in advance! pix153825818.jpg pix289595750.jpg

Good call @po18guy .
Check this out :
The squared might be a footnote/asterisk.
Ideally it would also have a 35° or 40° shoulder.

I'll bet it's a smart a$$es way to say 30-06 or it's something very similar.
1.579 squared is 2.493241 A 30-06 case is 2.484.

That's a nice looking rifle.

One might consider casting the chamber on any new to you firearm that you don't have some level of certainty as to clambering, especially since it is so easy to do.

I once picked up a nice .280 Remington only to find it had been doctored into an Ackley Improved, without any indication on the gun.

Lucky for me that the cases fire formed without any issues (would have preferred the bullets jammed into the lands if doing this on purpose) and ...

Lucky for me the Ackley Improved is actually a worthwhile customization and made the rifle more valuable.

But ...

The moral of the story is you really don't know what you have until you have some level of confirmation.

Only a chamber cast will tell you for sure.
Agreed. My theory would be best fit by 1.577 squared, anyway.
It's an interesting way to mark a barrel.

Edit. the 30-06 case OAL is 2.494. The trim to length is 2.484.
Brings me back to where my theory started... :D

Done.

We''ll what, if anything, the mavens over there come up with. A few of them are in the SAKO Collectors Association of America.

Me, I have no idea - I've never seen ANYTHING like that before, anywhere. I DO know that I wouldn't be buying it.

Just a guess here. The .30-06 Springfield cartridge is, 7.62×63mm in metric notation. 1.577 ^2 = 63.3283214mm. So...I'm guessing either .30-06 or some sort of .30-06 "improved". :s0062:

Edit: Looks like I was a bit slow with this post, I'll blame my horse. :s0004:

Caliber notation is usually applied in the commonly-used designations. Even those countries who make rifles in .30-06 mark them as such. Let's see what turns up from the SACoUSA.

EDIT>

I'm betting a pound to a pinch of parrot poop that that 'cypher' was done right there in the USA by a smart-a&&. That marking would be illegal in ANY of the CIP signaturee nations, currently numbering fourteen, who manufacture firearms. Finland, home of SAKO, is one such member.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads