JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hate to say it ,but I loaded some 9's one day with wrong power load on my dillion, none stuck in the barrel but some didn't go through a 1/2 plywood target. Now always use a powder failsafe in the system, no problem since.

anyone experienced a similar misfire?...
my reload (powder and bullets) with pre-primered (someone else's work) 7mm Mag cases. Three "no fires" out of 10 attempted. Solid firing pin strike, additional second attempts, still "no fire". No bullet movement apparent, pulled the bullets and found all powder burned, carbon residue left, empty case. Checked powder ignition with a match and small quantity, showed no problem. What happened here? :confused::oops:o_O

Last Edited:
I've had only 1 squib my entire life. Reloaded ammo from a friend. Primer but no powder was my best guess. I was by myself in the process of practice for a major match in Cali and did a tap rack. Took me 2 rounds before I STOPped....the slide was VERY close to going into battery....Honestly it scared the piss outta me. Never had an issue with factory ammo and I've shot hundreds of thousands of rounds....if not millions....

The squibs I've had over the years include:
1. Very old factory ammo. The one I recall most recently being Remington factory .38 S&W.
2. A .357 Magnum reload that did not fire at all. I went home and pulled the bullet from the case that misfired. Everything looked fine. I then deprimed it and the inside of the primer looked a different color than ANY normal primer. After trying a few different ways of (safely) igniting it I found out that it couldn't be lit even with a match. I had a few other misfires from that loading. I was amazed that I actually had a batch of primers that had some bad ones in it. I keep meticulous records of every cartridge I've ever loaded and so I went back to my ammo log and it wasn't in it. The very ONE load I really wanted to know whose primers I had loaded and it wasn't there. Go figure.

I have found that virtually all factory ammo squibs/misfires have been with very old ammo (much of which still shoots fine). Virtually all other squibs are reloads where the reloader lacks quality control. For example, I look down into every case to verify that the powder charge looks about the same as all the others. Not a precise method, but it will definitely show a case with no gunpowder or a double charge.

Have fun!

From my experience the quality of the barrel is typically the culprit in squib's. Years ago a family member and I wen to the range and he brought two new Kel-Tec pistols. One was .380 and the other was 9mm. He also bought a used Bersa Thunder in .380. The Bersa was dirty and dry, and it had a few cycle issues but spit everything out and was reasonably accurate. When we started in with the Kel-Tec's the .380 squibbed about five times. Each time he was shooting it, and I had to call a cease fire because he had never heard of a squib. I could hear an audible difference each time it squibbed. By the third time he was an expert at listening for it.. By the fifth time he gave up on the .380. We were using several different types of high quality factory ammunition: Winchester, Federal, etc. The 9mm squibbed twice before we stopped using them. That day I learned that I will never buy a Kel-Tec period. These were both new from the LGS never been fired.. He kept the Bersa and brought the Kel-Tecs back and when the LGS wouldn't return them, he caught a guy coming in looking for Kel-Tec and told him he would sell him some junk for cheap and told him of the issues and made back most of his money he spent on them. He then went out and purchased a SIG and has been happy since. I let him use my XD and M9 later that range day and he liked them. After he bought the SIG I let him use my custom 1911 and he still drools over it whenever we hit the range, but alas he's a liberal and he secretly hates himself for loving guns and supporting treasonous politicians that seek to undermine the US Constitution. You can't pick your family..

I've never had a squib, and to be honest I actually would like to experience one just so I know what is sounds and feels like.

I've never had a squib, and to be honest I actually would like to experience one just so I know what is sounds and feels like.

No you dont.....well, maybe you do under certain circumstances. Not under pressure or on the clock when sh!ts happening fast or in a SD scenario.....

It sounds like fail and feels like broken dreams. If it's your own reloads it's embarrassing as hell even if no one's around.[/Q
No you dont.....well, maybe you do under certain circumstances. Not under pressure or on the clock when sh!ts happening fast or in a SD scenario.....

Never had a squib and want to know what it's like? No problem... Just load up one (or more) rounds using just a primer and no powder, seating the bullet as normal. Just realize that THE BULLET WILL MOST LIKELY BLOCK THE BARREL EACH TIME and you MUST use a rod of soft material (wood, brass, aluminum, plastic) to put all the way through the barrel until you can see the rod at the other end of it. EVERY TIME. This is perfectly safe. Use the rod to check as no normal range safety manual or range rules allow a gun to be pointed directly at a person, including you. It is also VERY IMPORTANT to make sure that you use up in one session all of these you have made, to ensure that there are never any left around that can be mixed in with other ammo. Want to experience it once? Only load one round. Also, don't even take any other ammo in that caliber to the range with you. You cannot mix up what you don't have. When you get home, field-strip the gun and physically look down the barrel to ensure that everything is o.k.

Havnt seen a thread with this yet. Only with hand loads have I heard of rampant squibs.

Anyone have had/know of factory rounds that have had squibs? I know they are always a possibility, but am just curious.
Im about to go to the range on Friday and test out some Underwood ammo and I can't deny its usually on my mind.

Squibs are usually caused by bad barrel tolerances. Not so much by factory loaded ammo. I've experienced many squibs while using bottom of the barrel pistols. Don't go cheap on a carry pistol unless you want to lose in a gun fight.

It sounds like fail and feels like broken dreams. If it's your own reloads it's embarrassing as hell even if no one's around.
LOL... I have been shooting with friends, who were pretty proud of there reloads,, till the primer falls out and down into there trigger group...Of course being the good friend that I am, I go ahead and verbally beat down whats left of there pride, just because I saw that they were emotionally weak and vulnerable at that moment.

LOL... I have been shooting with friends, who were pretty proud of there reloads,, till the primer falls out and down into there trigger group...Of course being the good friend that I am, I go ahead and verbally beat down whats left of there pride, just because I saw that they were emotionally weak and vulnerable at that moment.
Thankfully they don't happen often. If you reload it's usually when you change something or try a new powder. Just because the recipie is in a published manual doesn't mean it's a good load or perhaps a good load for a particular firearm. Also component choice matters. Some brand x brass doesn't like brand y primer and so fourth.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top