JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
theres a couple of these online but heres a good handloading cost estimator to judge what your saving vs just buying factory ammo...

Thanks for this link! Using the sale prices I managed to find, assuming local purchases and reusing new purchased brass 5 times, a quick estimate shows a 50% savings. Realizing tax, shipping and hazmat costs are variables depending on how/where/when items are purchased...I'm still pretty confident loading at home will continue to cost less than buying factory produced ammunition.

From the "my time"/value part of the equation, as long as I'm enjoying myself, it's time well spent... 😎

In both cases bullet choice was brought up and had no effect on the outcome of the case, reload or store bought was never the issue.
cant say that in the Fish case. He was convicted of murder but everything I read about it was self defense. The prosecutor somehow convinced the jury.

Best synopsis of the Fish case. from 6 minute mark to 12 minute mark. Paul keeps it short.
But yeah, politically motivated prosecutor manipulated the evidence in the prosecutions favor.
At the end of the day, probably doesn't really matter what ammo you use as long as it's not called
"Super death organ grinder"
Your lawyer, the judge and the Jury will have the biggest impact. AND what you say just after the incident.
Prosecutors are going to prosecute.

If you are going to make/shoot factory ammo you may as well just save your time and money and shoot factory ammo. If you want to make/shoot better than factory ammo then rolling your own might be for you.
I have taught a lot of people to reload. The easiest way to get them going is to try and duplicate a factory load that they already like.
Its a way to get them looking at bullet catalogs, load books, and powder specs. Very few will get an exact match, but many get very close.
One reason you almost never get an exact match is Ammo company's mix their own powder to get the pressure they need. and from lot to lot may use a different mix to achieve the same pressure.
But a factory load that they already like is a good target to try and duplicate. And they can usually find a good load in trying. DR

As far as re manufactured ammo, I'm a licensed manufacturer and if I won't carry my ammo, how can I ask anyone else to as well.
During the last shortage There was no 38 spl on store shelves anywhere. Lots of people were using reloads. A few years back I had to requalify, and the range officer went on and on about how you should never use reloads. He went as far as telling one shooter that if his reloads failed during the qual he would just fail him. When it came time for my group to shoot I put my reloads in a factory box. as he walked by how he would even know they were reloads unless he inspected every headstamp. I had no issues, But he was a Jackazz.

If your ammo is well done, and you sorted cases by headstamp, How would anyone even know they were reloaded? DR

For practice, I would find a cheaper bullet like the one I linked, to develop a load with similar poi. A1680 is a very forgiving powder for subs and supers and will cycle most all sub loadings due to it's gassy nature.

While I hunt successfully with subsonic ammo I don't think I would choose it for hd out of the 300 bo. A supersonic 110 tac tx would be my choice. A can with supers would keep them from busting your ear drums.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top