JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A friend had one in his .45acp once, Remington factory ammo as I recall. He said it just sounded odd as he pulled the trigger, then nothing. He pulled back the slide and an empty came out. He racked in another round and was squeezing the trigger when his shooting partner, another deputy, stopped him and had him clear the gun and look down the barrel. Yep, bullet lodged partway down.

Another friend also had a couple, also with issued duty ammo. It was some special +p 45acp that the department bought, custom loaded by a small outfit as I recall. I think I might still have the one he gave me somewhere. That was a long time ago. As I remember they stopped using that ammo pretty soon after that.

I can;t remember ever having a squib with factory ammo myself, but then again I've shot very little factory centerfire ammo, other than old surplus military rounds, and that's a whole other story...

I saw a friend of mine have a squib shooting a 45ACP, can't remember what brand but saw smoke fizzle out from the chamber, it was a bad primer & bullet lodged just a 1/2" into the barrel & did not eject.

Last Edited:
The no flash hole story just reminded me of a couple more. I had a Wolf .223 round once that the primer was sideways. I didn't notice before shooting. The primer popped and smoke came out of the bolt, but it didn't fire. I also found a live .308 Win round at the range (Barnaul- steel case). It had heavy flutes on the neck obviously from an HK or Cetme, only it was still live! On examination there was no primer and no flash hole. Clearly the primer went off but with no flash hole it just forced the case further into the chamber and flutes.

Russian ammo almost doesn't count though. I think that QC isn't quite the same over there.

Winchester. Twice.
.22 and .45acp.

The .22s were weak, making a "pfft" sound instead of a "crack." Some stopped in the barrel, and some actually fired but barely left the gun. About 10-15% failure. Totally unacceptable.

I don't recall if the .45 issue involved actual squibs, but I had several FTF issues with deep, solid primer strikes in an open bolt submachine gun and a 1911. Again, 10-15% failure.

In both instances, I sent a short letter to Winchester. And in both cases, they responded with paid shipping labels and instructions to return all suspect ammo "for testing." No receipts required since Winchester ammo is clearly Winchester, wherever you buy it.

For the .22s (5-6 bricks) they reimbursed me with Winchester coupons that I spent on 12ga target loads (happy with those). For the .45 (5-6 boxes) they mailed me a check for a bit more than I actually spent at Walmart.

Stand-up way to handle it, though I'd prefer the stuff just worked right in the first place.

Maybe their quality/storage/shipping is all resolved now, but even with the current .22 shortage, I pass when Winchester is all I can find.

Last Edited:
I've never had a squib from factory or reloads. With over 40 years of different brands and calibers, mostly factory , and some old stuff. Maybe I've just been lucky but I do always listen for them.

This fella must have a selector switch that says "Full Retard"..

15767Picture_167-2.JPG

So I took my 10mm to the range. Needless say I definitely need more experience and practice with the Glock Plat form and 10mm in general. I'm looking to pick up some ammo but don't wanna pay a butt ton. Any factory ammo I should steer away from?

Id probably stay away from s & b but what about armscor and pmc? Any others?

Last Edited:
Has anyone heard of team never quit ammo? Seems to be the cheapest I can find with pretty good reviews on lucky gunner. Gunna start practicing at threat dynamics

So I took my 10mm to the range. Needless say I definitely need more experience and practice with the Glock Plat form and 10mm in general. I'm looking to pick up some ammo but don't wanna pay a butt ton. Any factory ammo I should steer away from?

I don't have any to recommend staying away from - for my 10mm, the ammo I've found most commonly locally is Armscor - seems to work well in the G20.

Something else you might consider, just when you're at the range, is that you can get away with shooting .40SW in an unmodified G20 - same mags, same barrel, etc. I've done it myself, and there are YT videos showing folks doing it. It's a nice option if you run short on 10mm and just want to practice with the gun.

I did some testing and posted my results in the following thread - posts 11 and 12: Why I Shoot .40 Through My Unmodified 10mm GLOCK

I don't have any to recommend staying away from - for my 10mm, the ammo I've found most commonly locally is Armscor - seems to work well in the G20.

Something else you might consider, just when you're at the range, is that you can get away with shooting .40SW in an unmodified G20 - same mags, same barrel, etc. I've done it myself, and there are YT videos showing folks doing it. It's a nice option if you run short on 10mm and just want to practice with the gun.

I did some testing and posted my results in the following thread - posts 11 and 12: Why I Shoot .40 Through My Unmodified 10mm GLOCK

Armscor is super cheap online and was thinking about it but couldn't remember if it was a round with a bad name. I know I can shoot 40 through my g29 I'm more just looking to practice with 180 gr 10mm just to try and keep my practice as close to my defensive carry as possible. Gonna check out that post now.

I've had 2 squibs with Wolf 9mm. Neither bullet made it far enough into the barrel so the next round did not chamber fully. Thankfully it did not detonate either as it was in a FA Uzi (open bolt). This was several years ago.

Winchester Premium 22LR 50 round packs. This was going back a few years, but it is the only ammo I had multiple rounds in 1 box that were bad. In fact, I think there were about 7 bad rounds I attempted to shoot and then gave up. I actually watched the bullet meander out the barrel and hit the target; only to discover that it bounced off the paper! Yep, it didn't even pierce the paper . . . I contacted OLIN/Winchester by email and they sent me a FedEx prepaid slip to ship all the ammo and spent casing back to them, and then they sent me a refund check. Makes me very hesitant to use Winchester 22LR again. Using Federal Bulk 22LR Copper Plated, I maybe get 2 or 3 rounds out of 525 that need to be hit multiple times till they fire. Usually more of an issue in a semi-auto, cannot recall ever having a round that did not fire in a 22LR revolver.

LAX Ammo in 357M. They had been going off with varying recoil previously until my wife asked why one sounded really odd. Bullet stuck across the forcing cone. Broke them all down and there were two different kinds of powder in the batch as well as some with powder that was stuck inside the case. LAX completely ignored my inquiries.

Bulged a barrel in my 1892 French Ordnance revolver with a Fiocchi 8mm Lebel Revolver round. Should have known better, since the report from earlier shots was all over the place, from strong to weak. The squib didn't feel that different from some of the earlier weak rounds. Heard Fiocchi only loads their exotic ammunition once a year as a special run, and it seems they put their B-team players on it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top