JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Havnt seen a thread with this yet. Only with hand loads have I heard of rampant squibs.

Anyone have had/know of factory rounds that have had squibs? I know they are always a possibility, but am just curious.
Im about to go to the range on Friday and test out some Underwood ammo and I can't deny its usually on my mind.

I guess I've had maybe 5 centerfire metallic/shotgun misfires in all the years I've been shooting (like 40 years:p) but they weren't very memorable and all were bad primers. So few I really can't remember what brand.

The only real factory squib I ever had was a 22-250 Hornady if you can believe that. I remember that one because when it went off the bullet barely made it out of the barrel and skipped off the hard ground about half way to the target board I had set up. After it skipped it struck the target right under the bull and fell to the ground right in front:p.

I did get some HSM in .45acp once that I am sure was hella hot loaded. It was supposed to be practice 230 gr what the heck? I should have shot a few over the chrony but I didn't think about it till after I shot them up.

Did that 45 squib?

Im gunna be shooting a asston of 200gr fmj from Underwood on Friday and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about squibs. I don't know if I consider underwood factory ammo. I look at it like "professional reloads" lol

if it doesnt go bang and you clear the gun, make sure the barrel isn't obstructed. the ONLY time i ever had a problem was a light powder charge on a handload by mistake.it sounded different so,i stopped, cleared the gun, and CHECKED. bullet lodged in the barrel, next round would not let slide go into battery. hammer and a screw driver and i was back in business.

if it doesnt go bang and you clear the gun, make sure the barrel isn't obstructed. the ONLY time i ever had a problem was a light powder charge on a handload by mistake.it sounded different so,i stopped, cleared the gun, and CHECKED. bullet lodged in the barrel, next round would not let slide go into battery. hammer and a screw driver and i was back in business.
Yeah I like to keep a brass rod handy just in case.

Friend of mine had a squib on blazer brass 115grn 9mm
I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often. Kind of amazing considering the billions of rounds put out.

just remember, you're at the range. the range is for practice. in case of a malfunction, learn to work thru it. no need to tap,rack,GO and be in a hurry in case of a malfunction. safety is #1 for you and those around you.

Some people are clueless.

But hey, that's there second amendment right. o_O

Blocked-Squib-Barrel-357-Magnum.jpg

Never had a squib, with any ammo. Factory, or reload. I'm curious.. how many squibs you ever seen on an M198?
I heard a bad 8 inch round go overhead once when on bivouac at Ft. Bragg. Don't care to hear that ever again. No sir. A bad one definently sounds different. One of the Non Coms I served with was a Veitnam Vet at the end of his career (this was 1987ish) and he wasn't too happy about hearing that sound again.

Only three. My own reloads.

.357 no powder
.223 not enough (subsonic workup)
.38 Special no powder

Factory ammo: nope

I assume you're not talking about rimfire cartridges.
I bought some 45 ACP Tula Ammo 10-15 years ago that had some rounds that barely made it out of the barrel, but nothing else like that at all.

I heard a bad 8 inch round go overhead once when on bivouac at Ft. Bragg. Don't care to hear that ever again. No sir. A bad one definently sounds different. One of the Non Coms I served with was a Veitnam Vet at the end of his career (this was 1987ish) and he wasn't too happy about hearing that sound again.

82nd vet? I served on ft black hole myself

I assume you're not talking about rimfire cartridges.
I bought some 45 ACP Tula Ammo 10-15 years ago that had some rounds that barely made it out of the barrel, but nothing else like that at all.

Yeah i dont really mess with silver cartridges. I prefer brass myself. unless its defense rounds

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top