JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So not exactly a "what" but more of a "where." Spent part of the week in Vegas (for work, really). But I did have the opportunity to visit the Mob Museum. I'm not really into mob stuff, in fact you can revoke my man card because I've never seen any of the Godfather movies, Goodfellas or even Scarface. But I will admit this was a really awesome experience and I learned a bunch. We added two "experiences" including a firearms simulator and the moonshine distillery tour and tasting (pro tip, schedule them in that order).

The firearms simulator was pretty cool and well run, a few video scenarios and then one with a live role player; more than I expected. They have an actual working still in the basement and make award-winning moonshine. The young lady who led the tour tasting was amazing and I learned 50 times more about the prohibition era than I knew when I walked in. Not fond of moonshine, especially sweet, flavored versions but to each their own.

If you avoided the TL:DR and made it here, now the important part. Across from the distillery room, they have a speakeasy-style bar. Very 1920s decor. Checked it out briefly and they advised the speakeasy was open after the museum closed but you had to know the password, which they provided. Came back with a group later that night, descended the non-descript stairs at the remote side of the building, rang the bell and slit in the door opened asking for the password. The group I was with thought this was cool.

They gave us a private room to hang out in since there was 10 of us. If you order an old fashion, you get a glass prepared but with no alcohol, and a book. Inside the fake book, there is a bottle with the alcohol that you pour into your glass. 1920 paintings on the dark paneled walls added to the ambiance. Pretty cool experience with good friends.

And the drink? Benriach - The Smoky Ten and Ardbeg - Wee Beastie.

So not exactly a "what" but more of a "where." Spent part of the week in Vegas (for work, really). But I did have the opportunity to visit the Mob Museum. I'm not really into mob stuff, in fact you can revoke my man card because I've never seen any of the Godfather movies, Goodfellas or even Scarface. But I will admit this was a really awesome experience and I learned a bunch. We added two "experiences" including a firearms simulator and the moonshine distillery tour and tasting (pro tip, schedule them in that order).

The firearms simulator was pretty cool and well run, a few video scenarios and then one with a live role player; more than I expected. They have an actual working still in the basement and make award-winning moonshine. The young lady who led the tour tasting was amazing and I learned 50 times more about the prohibition era than I knew when I walked in. Not fond of moonshine, especially sweet, flavored versions but to each their own.

If you avoided the TL:DR and made it here, now the important part. Across from the distillery room, they have a speakeasy-style bar. Very 1920s decor. Checked it out briefly and they advised the speakeasy was open after the museum closed but you had to know the password, which they provided. Came back with a group later that night, descended the non-descript stairs at the remote side of the building, rang the bell and slit in the door opened asking for the password. The group I was with thought this was cool.

They gave us a private room to hang out in since there was 10 of us. If you order an old fashion, you get a glass prepared but with no alcohol, and a book. Inside the fake book, there is a bottle with the alcohol that you pour into your glass. 1920 paintings on the dark paneled walls added to the ambiance. Pretty cool experience with good friends.

And the drink? Benriach - The Smoky Ten and Ardbeg - Wee Beastie.
That sounds like a great time! I didn't figure there was anything so fun in Vegas. If you weren't in to stage shows, concerts, losing money, bright lights, expensive food/accommodations and hookers.

That sounds like a great time! I didn't figure there was anything so fun in Vegas. If you weren't in to stage shows, concerts, losing money, bright lights, expensive food/accommodations and hookers.
Hey, what's wrong with hookers...??? o_O

Hey, what's wrong with hookers...??? o_O
Not a thing, if that's someone elses thing. :D We like driving around Sandy Blvd and 82nd Ave and lookin' at them. That's as far as we go. Just for gitts and shiggles Wifey wanted me to pull up by one of those gals and ask if the she "couples". And how much! But I'm too shy.

Sounds like fun and games, but remember, there's a pimp nearby watching over his ho's, and he doesn't have a sense of humor...
Okay, I'm scared too! :s0114: I'm not sure why these gals need pimps. Aren't they smart enough to sell their wares by themselves?
I do know that when they did a big sting in this area that the only reported crimes that were charged were "Human Trafficking". So I guess prostitution is legal, right along with the most dangerous narcotics, here in potland.

One of the best beers there is 👍

image.jpg

My daughter bought me this "Advent calendar" of German beers, basically a box of 25 different German beers. I'm supposed to drink one beer a day between Dec 1 through Christmas. I'm three days/beers into it. It's really quite awesome. :D

1701651907911.png 1701651945790.png 1701651974984.png

Last Edited:
Care to share? Or, is that too much on the HIPPA end of things?
Gallbladder attack and emergency removal. That's how I spent spring break this year. Got on the wagon because of pain medication and the wifey encouraged me to stay off the sauce even once I was off the pain killers. Needed to prove to her I wasn't addicted so I complied and walked away from drinking.

Now the holidays are here, it felt right to once again embark on imbibing, you know to build my resistance back up for the upcoming Christmas and New Years holidays of course.

Gallbladder attack and emergency removal. That's how I spent spring break this year. Got on the wagon because of pain medication and the wifey encouraged me to stay off the sauce even once I was off the pain killers. Needed to prove to her I wasn't addicted so I complied and walked away from drinking.

Now the holidays are here, it felt right to once again embark on imbibing, you know to build my resistance back up for the upcoming Christmas and New Years holidays of course.
Criminy! :eek: So glad you came out the other side OK, nammac! And thanks for the story.

When I went to AFG a wee bit over 10 years ago, I was a bottle-of-red-wine-a-night kinda guy. All my friends considered me a "functional alcoholic" and said I'd never last a week over there because of the alcohol ban on all US Military installations in the Southern AOR. I said, "Meh. I can quit anytime I want..." (just like you always here the real alchies say)...

So I went over there, mandatorily stopped drinking for 4 months, and didn't even miss the loss. Went on my first R&R, and got good and ripped for some of the time off. Went back to AFG, and no alcohol for another 4 months. Went on R&R again after that and got ripped less than the last R&R. The amount of "rippedness" steadily decreased with each R&R. Lather, rinse, repeat for 2½ years, and getting ripped just doesn't appeal to me anymore. And that's no big whoop.

Took a month off at the end of the AFG gig and did some foreign travel before heading to Saudi Arabia for the next gig. Had some wine and drinks during the travel month, but nothing where I got stupid. Went to Saudi Arabia and repeated the cycle over there for another year. Again, it was no big whoop. Came back to the States and now I really only drink a beer on Tuesday (with my Taco Tuesday Street Tacos from the street vendor down the road) and a coupla mixed drinks on the weekend. Maybe a glass of wine with dinner once or twice during the week. But not at all like I did 10 years ago before going overseas.

It boils down to: I don't need alcohol, I just like it a lot. :) So if I don't have it or can't get it, it's really no big whoop. I'll live, and probably a lot more healthily...

Criminy! :eek: So glad you came out the other side OK, nammac! And thanks for the story.

When I went to AFG a wee bit over 10 years ago, I was a bottle-of-red-wine-a-night kinda guy. All my friends considered me a "functional alcoholic" and said I'd never last a week over there because of the alcohol ban on all US Military installations in the Southern AOR. I said, "Meh. I can quit anytime I want..." (just like you always here the real alchies say)...

So I went over there, mandatorily stopped drinking for 4 months, and didn't even miss the loss. Went on my first R&R, and got good and ripped for some of the time off. Went back to AFG, and no alcohol for another 4 months. Went on R&R again after that and got ripped less than the last R&R. The amount of "rippedness" steadily decreased with each R&R. Lather, rinse, repeat for 2½ years, and getting ripped just doesn't appeal to me anymore. And that's no big whoop.

Took a month off at the end of the AFG gig and did some foreign travel before heading to Saudi Arabia for the next gig. Had some wine and drinks during the travel month, but nothing where I got stupid. Went to Saudi Arabia and repeated the cycle over there for another year. Again, it was no big whoop. Came back to the States and now I really only drink a beer on Tuesday (with my Taco Tuesday Street Tacos from the street vendor down the road) and a coupla mixed drinks on the weekend. Maybe a glass of wine with dinner once or twice during the week. But not at all like I did 10 years ago before going overseas.

It boils down to: I don't need alcohol, I just like it a lot. :) So if I don't have it or can't get it, it's really no big whoop. I'll live, and probably a lot more healthily...
Is that profile pic from the first R&R? Reminds me of some port calls I've had…..

Is that profile pic from the first R&R? Reminds me of some port calls I've had…..
Nope! Profile pic is from my engagement party, sometime around the end of the last millenium...

And then there's celebrating the arrival of 1985 while I was at university...

Sobo-ringing in 1985.jpg

Here, here…. I too like the taste and complexity of a well mastered rye, or bourbon or scotch To the wife, they're all the same. But each has a unique character, nose and palette. I only drink after the fam has gone to bed, and that pour will last me 2-2.5 hours. I'm a whiskey sipper, I don't bang them back, too old for that…. I like to savor the flavor

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews