JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No I've heard the supertuck is very comfortable but there's just so much material I think it would bug me. For iwb I use a pro carry. It's not too bad but it's alot better sitting on my belt

For my two cents stay away from Taurus. Crap through and through. Good customer service as long as you don't mind sending them back to Miami.

I have a Taurus Model 74 from the 1970's-80's that is a great shooter and came from the "I" frame tooling sold to Taurus Fojas in Brazil during the period. (The people at S&W told me this and I believe it.) Since this is the only Taurus I have, I'll likely leave it at that.

Scott

In 1985 the "shooters bible" did a side by side comparison between Beretta and Taurus .9mm pistols and after 10000 rounds the Taurus was given the nod. The Taurus had one fail to feed that they couldn't account for but out performed the Beretta in accuracy which was explained as being due the looser milling along the slide for a weapon that was designed to be dragged through the rigors of war. They gave the nod based on accuracy, dependability, cost and a lifetime guarantee. Not to bad for a so called POS that at the time was half the price of it's evil twin.

Ruger LCP - 1st generation, but not part of the recall.
BNIB - 1st time jammed on the first shot. Took it apart, polished the feedramp. 2nd time got 2 off before a stove pipe. Took it apart again and worked the feedramp again to a mirror finish. 3rd time out and after 2 shots it jammed again.

I understand that the new ones are reliable. I hated mine,

I had some serious FTE trouble with a used Maverick M88. I took it back and had them examine it, apparently worked fine for them with different ammo. Still I thought it not being able to eject basic Winchester and Remmington shells to be unacceptable. I traded it in + a little cash for a Mossberg 500, which has been nothing but great.

I have been periodically reading this thread for a year now too, and I an glad that you didn't get a Sigma 40, I had one back before Glock had a fit over them making them, and it was not reliable.
I could not more than 50% of the time get it to fire right handed, I mean fully depressing the trigger back to the frame and no bang.
Left handed it was a whippy little dream of a brass thrower, but right handed it was a total cheeky bum.
I traded it in on my first super red hawk and I have never missed it.
Struth.

It's been my observation and experience that they're just not on the same level as the other poly-gun manufacturers, and being that I'm a Glock guy, the great rivalry contributes to a spirit of minor exaggeration when speaking of the "other team."

They're not lemons.. but they're not on par with Glock or M&P, so it seems silly that they're priced the same.

When the XD originally came out they called it the HS2000 and were selling new for $250 in shotgun news... no one bought one, then springfield takes up the distro contract, renames it, and now it's suddenly on par with european imports, or guns made here in the states? I don't know that I would call them lemons, but like colt, you sure are paying a premium for the name on the side. Also, still made in croatia.

I think the biggest turd I've ever owned was a ruger Mk2 in stainless, I picked it up for a decent price, and it never ran, constantly jammed. I worked on it, and worked on it, and finally I sold it to some other poor sucker. This has been my typical experience with most ruger semi-autos... every one I've thought about buying once I got a chance to shoot it, I quickly realized what a POS they were. Their revolvers have been good so far.

Any of the "Ring of Fire" brands.

Bryco Arms, Jimenez Arms, Jennings Firearms, Raven Arms, and Phoenix Arms.

So funny story about these... a buddy gave me a Bryco as a joke, and I kept it in a tube sock with the intention of using it as a flail against would-be burglars, however one day I was out shooting another .380 I have, as much as it looked like a giant pile of junk, it was reliable and accurate, everyone in attendance was shocked, we put a full 100 rounds through it no issues.

This reminds me of another POS we found... the intratec AB-10... I seriously think we need to airdrop these over bad neighborhoods as while shootings may increase, I'm convinced the lack of accuracy and reliability will generally result in fewer deaths.

Back in 1997 I made the mistake of buying one of the original compact S&W Sigmas in 9mm. It was a blowback gun with a weird proprietary magazine that you removed by pressing two buttons on either side of the grip. I had constant feeding and ejection issues with that POS even after sending it back to the factory twice. I wound up trading it in on a KelTec P11 which was a far better concealed carry gun in every respect.

I rangemastered for about 6 years. I won't give away hard won knowledge, but to say that there are very few guns I would go into battle with. Like Two.

The obvious -

Glocks - Famously blowing up in cops hands, guide rods flying out at 500 rds...beyond stupid.
M16s/AR15s - Total junk and even the piston models are proving bad now as well.
Most 1911s - They never made it step on in the military trials and in the end, the trigger/sear mechanisim is a complicated pile of junk that requires an engineering degree set up.

So funny story about these... a buddy gave me a Bryco as a joke, and I kept it in a tube sock with the intention of using it as a flail against would-be burglars, however one day I was out shooting another .380 I have, as much as it looked like a giant pile of junk, it was reliable and accurate, everyone in attendance was shocked, we put a full 100 rounds through it no issues.

Strange about those "ring of fire" pistols, they had (and still have) a purpose... arming those that can't afford any better. Back in college I wrote papers about the true value of these handguns. Not everyone can afford a $800-$1200 pistol to defend themselves. Perhaps that's why Hi-Point and other such firearms still abound in this great nation.

Scott

Strange about those "ring of fire" pistols, they had (and still have) a purpose... arming those that can't afford any better. Back in college I wrote papers about the true value of these handguns. Not everyone can afford a $800-$1200 pistol to defend themselves. Perhaps that's why Hi-Point and other such firearms still abound in this great nation.

Scott

Hi-Points are a step above the Ring of Fire junk guns. Not a very big step mind you, but definately better in terms of quality than the others. When it comes to cheap, potmetal blowback-operated centerfire handguns, the Hi-Point reigns supreme.

Back in 1997 I made the mistake of buying one of the original compact S&W Sigmas in 9mm. It was a blowback gun with a weird proprietary magazine that you removed by pressing two buttons on either side of the grip. I had constant feeding and ejection issues with that POS even after sending it back to the factory twice. I wound up trading it in on a KelTec P11 which was a far better concealed carry gun in every respect.

I regularly carry a P-11 as well. It works for me, and should save my @$$ when I call upon it.

Scott

I rangemastered for about 6 years. I won't give away hard won knowledge, but to say that there are very few guns I would go into battle with. Like Two.

The obvious -

Glocks - Famously blowing up in cops hands, guide rods flying out at 500 rds...beyond stupid.
M16s/AR15s - Total junk and even the piston models are proving bad now as well.
Most 1911s - They never made it step on in the military trials and in the end, the trigger/sear mechanisim is a complicated pile of junk that requires an engineering degree set up.

I can't say much for glocks as I've never owned one, however as a volunteer armorer with the local PD I worked on a lot of police guns, and I will say cops are neither kind to their guns, nor are they particularly attentive when it comes to maintenance. After having one bring in his new USP .45 saying "this doesn't cycle", taking a closer look and realizing that he had loaded it with .40 S&W ammo I gave up all hope of feeling safe with police around.

The 1911 is a dirt simple trigger/sear mechanism that set the standard for single action trigger mechanisms for nearly two decades when it first came out. Now if you want to get deep on the weeds on the browning hi-power's transfer bar sear mechanism and mag safety, I will definitely agree with you. However I don't think you need an engineering degree to understand either.

The AR/M16 platform is same as the glock it works and works well when you treat it right and are attentive to it's needs. Gas pistons may increase reliability, but have a high penalty to pay in terms of noise, complexity and accuracy.

As someone who was also a long time range officer, the major issues I saw with all classes of firearm generally were maintenance and operator problems, nothing actually wrong with the firearm itself. Blaming the gun for failing due to poor maintenance is like blaming the gun for the shooting at the school, it doesn't make any sense at all.

Cars don't operate when you don't put gas in them, they fail when you don't put oil in them, and they won't start without a functional battery.

I had my PT92 since 1986. Loved it. Shot it all the time. One day the locking lug under the barrel broke. I sent it back for repair and sold it when it came back fixed. Great gun till then. I actually carried it for a few months.
In 1985 the "shooters bible" did a side by side comparison between Beretta and Taurus .9mm pistols and after 10000 rounds the Taurus was given the nod. The Taurus had one fail to feed that they couldn't account for but out performed the Beretta in accuracy which was explained as being due the looser milling along the slide for a weapon that was designed to be dragged through the rigors of war. They gave the nod based on accuracy, dependability, cost and a lifetime guarantee. Not to bad for a so called POS that at the time was half the price of it's evil twin.

I understand, I've rebuilt the T/A 340 six pk in my 70 AAR Cuda twice since I picked it up years ago, But man have we had fun wearing it out. I let a PT 92AF slide out of a chest carry in a steep and deep canyon while Chinook fishing in a remote piece of real estate once, it took a hundred foot + fall and I was sure it was destroyed as I heard it scatter on the rocks below. I'm so glad it wasn't my Commander (my stupid for letting it get unsnapped) but when I finally got down to it, although it was gouged, scrapped, cut and bruised, the only damage was a wedge taken out of the wooden grip, On went the Crimson trace units and she's still running fine some twenty five years later and still goes fishing with me without one hiccup or complaint about how early it is. I could have possibly bought the most 'toughest, bestest' one one ever built but if the rest are anything like that old girl then there not too bad.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top