JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I originally wanted a XD9 and so with life, crap happens. My new gun fund got taken and now I am looking at a less expensive firearm than a nice new shiny XD. But what I want is to avoid lemons since I will be looking at used firearms.

I hope you fish with live bait, dude, 'cuz you just opened a can of worms. But we should clarify something first: By 'lemon', are you referring to a specific run (range of s/n) of a make and model that is known to be defective, usually requiring a voluntary recall to the factory to fix it?

Or do you mean what brands/models are total crap in general, like a Ford Pinto (I owned one, so shut it) or Dodge Neon? (don't EVEN try to contest that, neon drivers;) )

My only negative experience with a budget 9mm was a Hi-Point I bought at a Pawn Shop for about $100. I couldn't get a single clip to run through it without some kind of FTF or FTL. I took it back the next day and exchanged it for a different gun, same make and model. Same problem, even with different ammo thrown in the mix.

That was enough for me to bag it, and return the gun and go to a .45 from Hi-Point. Not a single issue in the 250+ rds I put through that thing over the next few weeks. I say that not to bash their 9mm, only so I can avoid the wrath of those Hi-Point lovers out there who will claim I'm being an elitist by bashing a budget brand.

If I were to list my hand gun ownership history, the LAST thing I'd be known as would be an elitist, trust me. ;)

if you want a decent fire arm for not a lot look at firestar handguns. I picked up a used m43 9mm for $200 and it shot very nicely. never had a problem hitting anything with it or feeding. only complaint is the single stack mag but the gun was nice and compact and all the machining was clean inside and out.

That is an interesting observation on the Sig Mosquito. I rented the camouflage version for my son while at a shooting range, and the pistol kept failing to load (FTL?).

Peter

My lemon so far was a Springfield 1911 gi stainless. Had nothing but problems, failures to load, eject, extract, accuracy was so so. And yea, my hi point out performed it. In every way. Except looks and ergonomics.
I finally got the Springfield running right, after much work on the feed ramp, a new Wilson combat extractor, different recoil spring, etc. Then sold it. Kept the hi point.

I hope you fish with live bait, dude, 'cuz you just opened a can of worms. But we should clarify something first: By 'lemon', are you referring to a specific run (range of s/n) of a make and model that is known to be defective, usually requiring a voluntary recall to the factory to fix it?

Or do you mean what brands/models are total crap in general, like a Ford Pinto (I owned one, so shut it) or Dodge Neon? (don't EVEN try to contest that, neon drivers;) )

My only negative experience with a budget 9mm was a Hi-Point I bought at a Pawn Shop for about $100. I couldn't get a single clip to run through it without some kind of FTF or FTL. I took it back the next day and exchanged it for a different gun, same make and model. Same problem, even with different ammo thrown in the mix. ;)

What I am looking for are guns that are really picky with ammo and over all bad experience. I know not everyone who had a bad experience will be a bad gun but when you see a pattern, it helps to avoid those guns. For example and not trying to bash anything. The Dodge Caravan is a great van but over 100k their transmissions start to go out. I wouldnt say they are lemons per say but they have an issue. There has to be guns that just have design flaws that dont make them lemons but a beginner might want to avoid them. I know this going to be a bad and I really dont want I hate (fill in the blank). More or less I am looking for is, "I have this gun and no matter what I did or the gun smith fix it just wouldnt shoot like it should."

What is your budget ? You really do get what you pay for. You can get a used xd for under $400.00 and I have owned two xds and an xdm . Great guns.
Right now I am just looking to get in the game. Every time I try to save for a gun and my wife finds out and we suddenly have a big bill. I am not one to buy toys before paying a bills. I just want something I dont have to save for so long for and can buy before my stash money is found and gone.

Buy the cheapest POS you can find, this question has been posed soooo many times, with no definate answer. Considering your grammer and spelling (and your question) some one with your obvious intellect will be better off with a gun that has an orange tip at the end of the barrel.

Are you really going to trust an absolute strangers advice, over doing your own research? All you are going to find here are opinions, develop your own.

Tell you what, go ask your buddies.

Better yet go ask a counter idiot at cabela's.

Most gun makers back there products with a waranty. Your lower cost 9mm options are pretty vast Taurus, keltec, smith and wesson , ruger, kahr , sig ,citadel , and on and on. My idea of a good price on all those is from 200 to 400 dollars . The least expensive have the most issues but also have high production rates the more guns they make the more issues you may here of.

Buy the cheapest POS you can find, this question has been posed soooo many times, with no definate answer. Considering your grammer and spelling (and your question) some one with your obvious intellect will be better off with a gun that has an orange tip at the end of the barrel.

Are you really going to trust an absolute strangers advice, over doing your own research? All you are going to find here are opinions, develop your own.

I love how people feel they need to insult you that dont even know you. Yes I am new to firearms. Right now I am doing research on what people say. It is called a starting point. What my buddies have are glocks, all of them. So I dont have a diverse opinion pool. Yes my choice of words might of been since I was typing it at 3am and tired but couldnt sleep. Next time you feel the need to chime in on someone with a less than constructive opinion, please dont.

If you are looking for an inexpensive pistol, take a look at some surplus pistols such as the CZ82 or CZ83 or even Makarovs, they are very well made pistols, inexpensive and realiable, You will get alot more quality buying a surplus pistol than a new manufactured budget pistol such as the hi-points or phoenix.

Coop44, You misused a comma in four different sentences, misspelled "definite" and "grammar" and omitted an apostrophe in "stranger's". You failed to capitalize a pronoun in your final sentence. "Some one" should have been spelled "someone".

I'm surprised that someone with your obvious intellect didn't catch that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haaah... Nice 'un coop. You should definitely run your post through spell cheque before you rip a guy for his "grammer and spelling."

---

As to the question...

XD would certainly be on any "lemon list" I could come up with.

The only alternative to a new quality gun is a used quality gun. There's no auto you can buy new for less than Glock/M&P/XD new price that isn't a question-mark, or near the quality of a used Glock/M&P, or even XD.

Good luck

I just got a new model from Bersa. Mine is the BP9CC, 9mm, polymer frame, steel slide w/ 8+1 capacity, .94" wide, I think the weight is 21 oz, hides extremely well. Easy sight upgrades with front cut for Glock sights and rear cut for Sig. I've put about 750 rounds of everything from WWB to Hornady Critical Defense to other self defense HPs through it without a single snag. 3 1/2" polygonally rifled barrel ala Glock. Machining, fit, and finish outside and inside are amazing for this price, equivalent to my old XD9 or better. Striker fired with extremely short reset trigger. They just now got these into the country after trying for two years to get past ATF. Budsgunshop.com is starting to have them. I got one of the first 400 to hit the shelves. My cost (free shipping from Buds) was $330 + $25 transfer. Bersa makes probably the most under appreciated guns on the market IMHO. This also comes in .40 S&W, model is BP40CC. Can't talk to that one, tho. The pictures I uploaded, other than the comparison pic with a Kel-Tec PF-9 are my pistol. I think it's a fine weapon, especially at the price.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327182422.588050.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327182442.656717.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327182464.077942.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327182496.262830.jpg

Just wondering why you would put XD on a lemon list?

It's been my observation and experience that they're just not on the same level as the other poly-gun manufacturers, and being that I'm a Glock guy, the great rivalry contributes to a spirit of minor exaggeration when speaking of the "other team."

They're not lemons.. but they're not on par with Glock or M&P, so it seems silly that they're priced the same.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top