JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Going through my current gun collection I am wondering what I am missing - perhaps a long range gun?

Assuming you do no have unlimited funds and there is some limit to what you can reasonably own- What is an obvious miss

Current gun assortment

Shotgun:
20 ga Dbl barrel - grew up with
16 Ga Over Under
12 ga semiauto

Pistol:
22LR semia uto
.308 semiauto
40 S&W semiauto

Rifles
22LR ( 10-22)
AR15
Tikka 30-06

machine gun, suppressor, and sbs (saw-off shotgun)

you are lucky enough to live in a free county in a free state, e.g. the sheriff signs off on NFA purchases. If you have the money, enjoy it !

9mm I have thoughrt about before might be an option - particularly hi cap[/QUOTE]

Get a Glock 17
DSCN6379.jpg

This^

A 9mm pistol would be a gerat addition to your collection. There are a ton of choices out there so if you just plan on one take your time and try as many as you can before you decide to buy. Top choices for many would include but not be limited to, SIG 226, S&W M&P 9, and Glock 17 or 19.

dont look like your missing nothing you got everything covered your not out in eastern or where you might need what the guys say long range rifle i dont know how accurate the tikka is but the old 3006 has won alot of matches in west virginia:D out to say 900 yards im not saying i can shoot that good but a good 06 can . i to like the forty its has more firepower than a 9mm and in a glock 23 about the same size as a colt commander with twice the ammo . as far as the 380 goes i have a kahr p380 i use bu8ffalo bore +p in and if thats all i can carry than thats will have to work :D. i do like the idea of the 9mm subcompact good luck

I am sure the Tikka is better than this ( or the gun is more capable than the shooter)
I figure hunting maybe up tp 400 Yrds and other shooting out to 600 yds.

no revolver?

BINGO! Just my opinion--but EVERYBODY should have a 4" medium frame 357 with adjustable sights. Ruger, S&W, whatever. I'm more than a little partial to the S&W model 19. If you just have to have a single action, a Ruger Blackhawk works just fine.

Load em up with cowboy loads for plinking, 125 gr JHP's for social work, heavy solids for bigger critters----

Revolver, definately!!!!
It sounds like you like to hunt with your guns more-so than being an "end of the world preparedness" type. Get a .41 or .44 mag revovler and go tip over a deer or elk this fall, there delicious!

All in all I think you’re pretty well rounded. A couple suggestions:

As far as rifles go you have the basic pretty well covered. If I were to add one more it would be another AR that is compatible with your existing one (2 is 1, 1 is none theory here). A distant second option would be a Marlin lever gun in either 30-30 or 45-70. Finally if you can justify the expense a .50 BMG if not a complete rifle then an AR upper for your 2nd AR, there is your long range weapon.

This may not be the right place to "start this" but..... a 50 BMG upper on an AR lower? I came real close to laying out the cash but hesitated at the thought of strapping that to a 5 lb. AR lower when they come built 30+ lb. for a complete set-up.

Has anyone ever shot a 50 BMG from an AR lower?

Again, I apologize for starting this here but I've thought about this too.

Going through my current gun collection I am wondering what I am missing - perhaps a long range gun?

Assuming you do no have unlimited funds and there is some limit to what you can reasonably own- What is an obvious miss

Current gun assortment

Shotgun:
20 ga Dbl barrel - grew up with
16 Ga Over Under
12 ga semiauto

Pistol:
22LR semia uto
.308 semiauto
40 S&W semiauto

Rifles
22LR ( 10-22)
AR15
Tikka 30-06

Nothing missing at all. Why do you 'need' a revolver? Autos have worked without any problems for me for years.

40S&W is a very formidable round.Nothing wrong with it at all.380 is OK and a 22 is essential for hunting small game and fun outings

Fighting shotgun? Who cares ?Any shot gun works for this as long as it goes BOOM repeatedly.A semi auto with 5 rounds will stop most any threat.Auto or pump.
Most real gunfighters can be proficient with any weapon and don't need to decide between pump or semi auto.A shot gun is a shot gun. I'm not a 'real' gunfighter so a SA is best

Only difference in my small collection is a larger semi auto rifle,like an AR in 30 caliber or a AK/SKS/FAL type rifle

Seems like a lot of folkes on this forum are worried about what type of gun they should use to defend themselves. Whatever happened to just having a gun for the sake of enjoyment? We always seem to have to justify why we have this or why we have that, or why this is better than that for such and such purpose.

The next time you are making the decision to buy a new gun, try not to think about how cool you will look peering out from behind a dumpster in some alley where you are having to defend yourself from flashmobs or crack heads or zombies etc... Buy it if you like it, you shouldn't have to justify it any further than that.

Then go shoot it and have fun, bring some friends in case of crackhead zombie flashmob attack!

I think you need a powerful plinker. A rifle that shoots a round at a distance as well as being cheap. My suggestions would be:

1) Mosin Nagant (7.62x54r)
2) SKS (7.62x39)
3) AK-47 variant (7.62x39)

INteresting
I focused more on Hunting / General Shooting as my focus.
Really like shooting my 10/22 and my 22 pistol.
Figuring my pistol, double barrel shotgun, pepper spray, or baseball bat are my self defense
The one gun I seriously went back and forth on was the 30 -30. MOre from the standpoint that is what I grew up on.
Great gun for hunting short range

But I am amazed at the number of guns up fpr sale - where the person has never shot it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top