JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a gun out for delivery to my LGS today. Since I had to go to town, I stopped buy thinking I could fill out the BGC form whether the gun had arrived or not. The fella that was working told me I couldn't do that because the serial number had to be on the form first. I told him that it made no sense to me and I really didn't want to make another trip to town. I have to make another trip to town. Is there a logical reason for him not allowing me to fill out the form?

You cannot sign until the form is complete, as it must relate to a single, uniquely identifiable firearm. And the seller violates federal law if he or she allows you to complete the bottom section before the top is complete and accurate. One potential problem: What if the clerk fills in the wrong serial number after you've gone and that other gun is used in a crime?
This is SRS biz, so you don't want to jump the gun, so to speak.

Last Edited:
I'd be curious to hear an FFLs view in this one. I've had FFLs over the years do all sorts of different things with 4473s. Not one did it the same as the other. The range was from, whatever goes, to straight nazism.

Used to be that the gun shop could call the distributor for a gun, get the serial number over the phone and that would allow you to start your BGC/waiting period from that point, rather than waiting for the gun to arrive. IIRC, the ATF stopped that about 5-6 years ago. At that point, the gun had to be in the LGS' hands before any background check could begin.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews