JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There were times at the previous residence I would hear loud noises outside and I would shut off lights and walk outside and investigate (sidearm in tow).

I believe any reasonable person would do that in their neighborhood. You know the terrain, you know the gates and you know who should be there and who shouldn't be there.

Oh, it's just my drunk neighbor- James your at the wrong house. Your wife lock you out again? Maybe you should learn from this buddy. Go home and sleep on your porch.

Yep and what does hiding behind the front door do for you? Wait for the cops? If they do not get there in time and the door comes down....Like in the video...You are in a worse position than you are from getting the drop on them and avoiding entrance altogether. I know I prefer to be the one surprising someone rather than answering my door and hoping they are a good person.

The way people jump when they are looking at your door waiting for it to open and you say "can I help you" from behind them is always entertaining.

I'd do the same thing again today. The reason I went out and around the back was to see what was going on, on my terms. I'm not real sure what you think I should have done? Open the door? Call the police and hope they get to me on time (if it had been a true home invasion scenario)? Scream for my wife to come save me? Between myself and my fat English lab I think we would have been ok, even if he had a couple friends. Though admittedly you may be reading about the story through court documents and news reports instead of on the forum.
What if you got halfway around the house and he decides there is no-one home and he breaks the door down? Next time I would recommend alerting your wife and have her prepared to defend your family and call 911. Never hurts to have multiple calls in to them. On the whole though, leaving a solid defensive position (like one's house) for an unknown tactical situation is generally a bad idea. Follow the excellent advice in the Massad Ayoob video a few posts back and you are set.

I like the idea of a shotgun racking from behind the bad guy as Jim said. It a universal way of saying "get off my lawn".

I will not cower in my house. My wife is always armed and would call the cops if I had to run out. Front door is covered. If not then I am home alone and kicking my door in when I am behind you is not a good choice.

What if you got halfway around the house and he decides there is no-one home and he breaks the door down? Next time I would recommend alerting your wife and have her prepared to defend your family and call 911. Never hurts to have multiple calls in to them. On the whole though, leaving a solid defensive position (like one's house) for an unknown tactical situation is generally a bad idea. Follow the excellent advice in the Massad Ayoob video a few posts back and you are set.

He gets inside and that's where he will be found:eek:.

I can appreciate that there are multiple points of view and infinite "what if's" gentlemen, but let's pause for a moment and consider that in my home, with my family's life potentially on the line, I'll make what tactical/security/protection desicions I feel appropriate at any given time. I've made it this far with my spidey sense, training and common sense. I read the warning labels on most things too. ;)

I subscribe to the KISS method, why go running around in the dark when you can wait for them to come to you? What if the guy had armed buddies at the street by their car. You are focused on the guy at the door and all of a sudden your flank is turned. It's not about cowering in your home, it's about making sure your bubblegum stays alive by ensuring YOU are going to win if it comes to guns.

I can appreciate that there are multiple points of view and infinite "what if's" gentlemen, but let's pause for a moment and consider that in my home, with my family's life potentially on the line, I'll make what tactical/security/protection desicions I feel appropriate at any given time. I've made it this far with my spidey sense, training and common sense. I read the warning labels on most things too. ;)
I'm glad it worked out for you. That's part of what this community is about, discussing DGUs and analyzing actions taken.

Ya we all live different lives and have to make our choices. A family tends to make a man more careful, when I was younger it made a difference to me.o_O

My son woke me up about 2:30am and said this lady keeps getting out of her car, running to the neighbor's front door, knocking and then running back to her car where a guy was waiting. We watched them light up something in the car, then she did the whole thing again. We opened the upstairs window quietly and waited for her to come out again. Once she got in front of our driveway, I racked the slide on the shotgun and she froze....slowly looked around, then up to the window where we were standing. She screamed "HE HAS A GUN" and ran to the crackmobile and they took off down the hill like a scalded cat. We both had a good laugh over that one.

My son woke me up about 2:30am and said this lady keeps getting out of her car, running to the neighbor's front door, knocking and then running back to her car where a guy was waiting. We watched them light up something in the car, then she did the whole thing again. We opened the upstairs window quietly and waited for her to come out again. Once she got in front of our driveway, I racked the slide on the shotgun and she froze....slowly looked around, then up to the window where we were standing. She screamed "HE HAS A GUN" and ran to the crackmobile and they took off down the hill like a scalded cat. We both had a good laugh over that one.
Joe Biden approved!

th?&id=JN.7qwhKpR8sx1oubzwYbL36Q&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

You sir are smarter than some of us then. I know a few of us DON'T read the labels.

To be fair, it's only because I don't want to be "that guy", we all know one. That guy loses his fingers while he is clearing the jam on the lawn mower and didn't turn it off? That guy. I don't want to be that guy.

My Dads Uncle was 6'6'' tall and lived down south.
When he answered the door he would raise his arms and rest the palms of his hands on the top of the door jam.

What people didn't know, was that there was a double barrel 12 gauge hung above the door. ;)

This was back in the 40's and 50's. And things like 911 hadn't been invented!

Last Edited:
image.jpg I would worry about the court room defense of why I left my home and went around the house "looking for trouble" as the DA may put it. Being the aggressor.
Just better have your story straight.

Personally yes I would cower behind my door or at the top of my staircase if possible to put myself between me and the danger. God help whoever decides to break in the door.

I'll stay at the top of the stairs screaming at 911 for help. I will be the victim.
Only thing that scares me more than bad guys, is good guys that wish to make me look bad.

View attachment 249648 I would worry about the court room defense of why I left my home and went around the house "looking for trouble" as the DA may put it. Being the aggressor.
Just better have your story straight.

Personally yes I would cower behind my door or at the top of my staircase if possible to put myself between me and the danger. God help whoever decides to break in the door.

I'll stay at the top of the stairs screaming at 911 for help. I will be the victim.
Only thing that scares me more than bad guys, is good guys that wish to make me look bad.

These are all valid concerns and strategies.

Wife had a 15-16 year old come to the door and asked if we needed our flowr beds weeded. She told him to come back the next day and she'd have cash for him. He did and also did a damn good job on the flower bed. Shortly after he left the neighbor came over and told my wife their had been a series of break in where a teen had volunteered to do yard work, asked to use the bathroom and cased the house. This kid never asked to come in, but both of us were still a bit concerned. We haven't seen him since. Seems like a scheme like could only work for so long, after all the person who hired you is going to have a pretty good description of you and word will spread quickly. Still paranoid as ever.

It's almost akin to a woman wearing a red dress and then being raped.. the old she musta been asking/"looking" for it?
come on

I get what he is saying though. Let's face it, now days it's almost as if peoples knee jerk reactions and assumptions have to be assuaged before they can listen to common sense.

A decent prosecuting / defense attorney would be inept if he did not at least try to paint the picture of an over zealous home owner looking for trouble, when in reality it is far more likely that it was simply a home owner protecting his assets / family from a perceived threat.

I think that some people forget that a certain portion of society (even more so now) have been trained and grown accustomed to identifying, locating, closing with and eliminating the threat rather than simply reacting to situations as they arise in a simply defensive manner. As more and more service members filter back into civilian life for example, I think we may see more cases of pro active problem solving and less victimization. That is my hope any way.

I've never been one to sit and wait myself, I have no patience for that. It is a flaw in some situations but as I've stated prior, it has kept me above ground for over 3 decades and I don't see it as much of a detriment as a skill given the variable alternatives.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top