JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, I'm hoping someone can help me with this. Where can I find storage containers large enough to contain a rifle or two, that are completely waterproof, and suitable for burying? Any help would be appreciated.

3" or 4" PVC pipe w/ endcaps. I read on some other blog where a guy buried an M1 or something like that for years & was still dry inside. He also wrapped the gun in some plastic. Cheap & effective.

I'm thinking you'll need at least 6" pipe and maybe an 8", and I'd get the glue-on ends, not the threaded. I'd put some kind of moisture absorber in with it. I'd also include some gun oil and ammo and a good knife and stone.

Next I'd get a bigger pvc pipe - big enough to slip the real pipe into and put slip on caps on that, put my pipe in it an bury it. Then I wouldn't have to dig the whole pipe out of the ground. I'd just have to dig enough to get a cap off the larger pipe and then slip my real pipe out. You may not have a shovel if you ever need the gun. :s0155:

You can always break the pvc pipe with rocks to get to the contents, but it will be hard to retrieve smaller items from it if it's still buried. Better to pull it out of the larger pipe so you can dump the contents.

I'd put it somewhere where no logging could occur. Logging will screw the site up so bad you won't recognize it. That could be a designated wilderness or some area where marketable trees don't grow well.

$.02

Pelican all the way. Especially for prized items. Its the only thing I keep my photography equipment in when I go white water rafting or kayaking. Ive always thought it would be cool to make a time capsule with weapons inside.

I agree, the Pelican cases are top-quality. I had a customer bring one in with guns for repair, we got to talking about it and you could see some scuff marks on the case. I asked him how that happened, he just wanted to know how tough they were so he drove a Toyota T100 over it :s0155:

Hey, excellent suggestions, everyone! I had completely forgotten about Pelican. So I'm watching a couple on E-Bay, I think they'll work perfectly. And Gunner, thanks for your suggestion of building an entire kit. That's exactly what I'm going to do, and the spot I have picked out is on a family member's land, so I don't have to worry about logging or any kind of development. Thanks again!

I've got 3 Hardigg storm cases, that will hold some of my ammo and handguns, that will get buried in a SHTF scenario. I like the Storm cases better than the Pelican because the latches seem more solid and easier to open. Unfortunately they don't make as many rifle length cases as Pelican. Ebay is a good place to find well used Hardigg and Pelican cases for very good prices.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top