JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why call the cops? I don't understand. Soooo many people have gone missing in the pnw, the bad guy would just be another "missing without a trace". Yep, decomposing in the woods, critter food.

when I use the remote start the car is locked.

"Akin Blitz, a lawyer who specializes in public safety and the use of force, explained that in this case, property owners have the right to show a gun — but the law doesn't allow them to use deadly force to defend property outside their homes."

In other words, if the wannabe car thief had half a brain, he would have fled the scene. You can't hold someone at gun point if there is no actual threat of lethal force being used. He might as well have pointed an umbrella at the perp.

Per lawyer's quote in the article, what about property owners who choose to respond with a shovel instead of a firearm?
Sounds like it would have been OK as long as he didn't try to hit him with it. :rolleyes:

In other words, if the wannabe car thief had half a brain, he would have fled the scene. You can't hold someone at gun point if there is no actual threat of lethal force being used. He might as well have pointed an umbrella at the perp.
A criminal doesn't know whether some citizen with a gun is going to shoot him if he tries to run away or not, regardless of what the law says about the legality of that action.

The thief knows if he waits the Cops will cite him. At worst take him to jail and let him go. The homeowner may actually shoot him. FAR safer to wait for Cops.
I dunno. There are a lot of things to consider. If the car is a Prius or a Subaru Outback, and there is a "coexist" or "Beto for president" bumper sticker on it, and they have a virtue signaling yard sign on the front lawn, and they guy's hand is shaking, etc. etc., I might try a run for it. On the other hand, if it's a Hummer or a Ford 750 and the guy looks like a Navy SEAL and has the drop on me, I 'd probably stay put. But, then again, I never tried to steal a car either, so I dunno. :s0092:

"Akin Blitz, a lawyer who specializes in public safety and the use of force, explained that in this case, property owners have the right to show a gun — but the law doesn't allow them to use deadly force to defend property outside their homes."

Sounds like it would have been OK as long as he didn't try to hit him with it. :rolleyes:

Very good resource to address all the issues that have been mentioned.
Also FYI good video from lawyer regarding defending property in WA state. The more good resources we have to understanding the law the better for us IMO.

At 6:39 in the video is a key in this type of situation for WA state

"Pointing a firearm at a person is considered the use of lethal force" (in WA)

IMO only, low ready is good and the time from low ready to the shot is away is a blink of an eye. Low ready you are not pointing the gun at someone.

But I'm no lawyer. I just like to follow the rules of gun safety such as don't point a gun at anything u are not willing to destroy and keep your finger off the trigger until u are on target.

Last Edited:
Shooting him in the foot could be considered an "accidental discharge" couldn't it? I mean, "in the excitement of the moment I guess I squeezed the trigger, I didn't mean to I swear! "

Also FYI good video from lawyer regarding defending property in WA state. The more good resources we have to understanding the law the better for us IMO.

At 6:39 in the video is a key in this type of situation for WA state

"Pointing a firearm at a person is considered the use of lethal force" (in WA)

IMO only, low ready is good and the time from low ready to the shot is away is a blink of an eye. Low ready you are not pointing the gun at someone.

But I'm no lawyer. I just like to follow the rules of gun safety such as don't point a gun at anything u are not willing to destroy and keep your finger off the trigger until u are on target.

In Oregon presenting a firearm is a felony assault

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top