JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
what is it about population centers that make people feel safer without guns?
That is a good question. Must be the idea that there is so many others around. I am exactly the opposite. Feel FAR safer away from the crowds. Of course I have never quite been able to get my head around people who do not want to have a gun whether its in the wide open or in the city. When someone tells me that I have long just shrugged and said the bad people have to eat too. Often makes them quite angry when it hits what I am saying. :s0092:

That is a good question. Must be the idea that there is so many others around. I am exactly the opposite. Feel FAR safer away from the crowds. Of course I have never quite been able to get my head around people who do not want to have a gun whether its in the wide open or in the city. When someone tells me that I have long just shrugged and said the bad people have to eat too. Often makes them quite angry when it hits what I am saying. :s0092:
This is what I was getting at with my question. The higher population densities the higher violent crime rates, yet city folk seem to think they are safer without the means to protect themselves. My guess is a lot of people live in fantasy land.
Your hungry bad people analogy is golden, definitely using that...

You can't use reason with unreasonable people.

Thinking that if you ban guns...or make it so you need a permit to own firearms will somehow make things safe is.....
Unreasonable.

Unreasonable because :
Criminals break laws...that is what they do...
And...you can't make someone be "safe" or do safe things....
Sure you make and pass laws , rules , regulations and the like...such as speed laws / traffic laws....
And just how many of those are broken every day or hour....?
Safety is a personal choice...you choose to be safe or not.
Andy

You can't use reason with unreasonable people.

Thinking that if you ban guns...or make it so you need a permit to own firearms will somehow make things safe is.....
Unreasonable.
Its incredibly frustrating that my rights to protect my life and liberty are being removed by people who think everyone else should live their life.

Its incredibly frustrating that my rights to protect my life and liberty are being removed by people who think everyone else should live their life.
It might be interesting to ask the "people who think everyone should live their life"....
What they think about control...as in
Being made to do something that you do not agree with...
Or is it acceptable or "right" to force people to give up something or give up options ....

Then again..as I mentioned earlier ....
You can't use reason with unreasonable people..so questions like the above are the same as a broken pencil....
Pointless.
Andy

Yet their own inner city policies they vote for are driving violent crime thru the roof.
The old line the definition of insanity comes to mind. Liberalism really is a mental disorder. Its not just a cute bumper sticker. They really do have some kind of mental disorder. They do the same failed idea's over and over again and really do expect it to suddenly just work. :s0092:

It might be interesting to ask the "people who think everyone should live their life"....
Or is it acceptable or "right" to force people to give up something or give up options ....

You can't use reason with unreasonable people..so questions like the above are the same as a broken pencil....
Pointless.
Andy
Ive gone full circle with them many times.
They tell me they support the 2A, and tell me nobody needs an AR15
They tell me "my body my choice", then demand by law forcing people inject things into themselves they dont want, and put a mask on your face while your at it.
They tell me if I'm not woke I'm deplorable...
Yet Ive made no demands on how they run their lives, but they get angry and even violent if I don't agree with them.

Were in dark times and somethings gonna break.

Pointless.
Andy
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I would expand on that. While there are certainly plenty of unreasonable people, most people are reasonable about some things and unreasonable about others, but we don't realize what we ourselves are being unreasonable about. We are not rational beings, we are beings that rationalize. All of us are that way, even if we don't recognize it. Being rational is the exception for humans, not the rule.

The old line the definition of insanity comes to mind. Liberalism really is a mental disorder. Its not just a cute bumper sticker. They really do have some kind of mental disorder. They do the same failed idea's over and over again and really do expect it to suddenly just work. :s0092:
I have friends that are liberals and they are highly intelligent people, people I can trust, and would go to the Earths ends to help me if needed. I'm torn with the idea of thinking less of them over gun rights (or other politics) but they really don't understand how their own policies they voted for hurt them. A friend once told me "when am I ever gonna need an AR15" yet since then violent crime in their city has doubled over the policies of the very people they voted for. And I cant seem to get this thru to them. I don't know what to think anymore.

Often perceptions like that are based on a flawed view of what people actually think and believe.

Lots of inner city people are highly educated, but they fall for the social idea of community protection, 911 will save them so you dont need a gun either.
"Highly educated" =/= smart. You can train a dog, getting an education is no different. That is why people who ask questions are frequently attacked.

I have friends that are liberals and they are highly intelligent people, people I can trust, and would go to the Earths ends to help me if needed. I'm torn with the idea of thinking less of them over gun rights (or other politics) but they really don't understand how their own policies they voted for hurt them. A friend once told me "when am I ever gonna need an AR15" yet since then violent crime in their city has doubled over the policies of the very people they voted for. And I cant seem to get this thru to them. I don't know what to think anymore.
And I know numerous liberals that are the same as you described and own AR15's and some vote for 2A and some of those people don't. They each have their reasons, some logical some not. Either way, applying broad labels is a great way to misunderstand reality.

And I know numerous liberals that are the same as you described and own AR15's and some vote for 2A and some of those people don't. They each have their reasons, some logical some not. Either way, applying broad labels is a great way to misunderstand reality.
And thats why I said what I said. I'm not applying broad lables to liberals.
But that doesn't excuse the idea that someone who owns an AR15 yet votes for someone whose actively trying to take their AR15 away makes any logical sense.

And thats why I said what I said. I'm not applying broad lables to liberals.
But that doesn't excuse the idea that someone who owns an AR15 yet votes for someone whose actively trying to take their AR15 away makes any logical sense.
I did not mean that you were applying broad labels, but re-reading what I wrote it does imply that. Sorry, that was not my intent.
I was agreeing with what you said. The labels comment was a more general statement, unrelated to what you said.
Having said that, I don't know any politician that represents me, or anyone I know, exactly. It's always a compromise when you vote for someone. They may not want that politician to restrict their 2A rights, or that of others, but that is not the only criteria they use when choosing who to vote for. That's what I hear from them at least.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews