JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, I agree with you that a person should ask FIRST if a peace officer needs help, etc.

Plus how to help him if he says that he could use your help and/or other people to help.

But there are sometimes in other situations, NOT this specific story/thread, where there is NO one meaning a peace officer or emt is ON the scene and you come UPON something strange, an accident, a fire, etc.

I could give a couple of examples, NOT in THIS criminal situation, where my late husband and I traveled (One very specific one on Cape Cod.) and even being close to home where we STOPPED to help some people who were hurt in an accident and in another situation where a car was on fire but NO one was inside of the car.

Anyway, it would derail THIS thread but we stopped and helped people plus I ran to a house for a man to call for an ambulance and a deputy.

My late husband was a Volunteer from the age of 18 years old, shy of his military time - USN overseas and Nam not his Air NG Fighter Wing time - back in his home state and traveling, for his Volunteer FD and EMT squad which was formed later on.

Take care.

Blessings to you and your wife. Keep warm!

Cate

Hi Cate!!

Completely agree about being service/volunteer minded. I started with volunteering to fight brush fires in S Cal in my late teens. Was a local pool lifeguard. Went on to SAR in the USCG, then working with first responders, then helped home buyers evaluate homes, then Lifeflight volunteer and became employee/representative. During those times, I was also president of a local Lions Club, a member of two different Rotary clubs, and a Habitat for Humanity worker and board member. The service life is a mindset and love of helping others.

I know people that won't stop for accidents. That doesn't work for me... I've run across 4 lanes of freeway traffic to get to accident victims prior to first responders arriving and AFTER my wife told me not to go. Must ACT!

Coast Guard creed of the rescue swimmer: "So Others May Live"

1) "And the guy talking is a sick SOB, that's what he likes to see ?"
Then I must also be sick because I liked it too, just for a different reason.

2) "The fella filming didn't seem like the type to assist an officer."
The only thing he could do would be to get in the way. He unwittingly did the best he could for the cop by recording it, so nobody can claim too many shots fired.

3) " You must decide which one works best for you and your situation."
I decided that long guns aren't compatible with EDC.

4) " If the man who was killed had been black, we'd probably be watching rioters do their thing now."
Yeah, I wondered why the cop waited so long. Wypeepo don't riot when the cops kill us.

5) " Call for medic and render aid if only for the documentation. "
The perp was still conscious and still too functional to get close to.

6) " It may be my life you have to save one day and I'll take all the help I can get out here! "
I take it you are a LEO. I have seen some cops who don't want the peons "interfering."
How do We the Peons know? (Seriously, not trolling.)

7) " I was kidding around about seniors rioting over this"
I would love to riot, but arthritis prevents the requisite physical prowess.

Last Edited:
Another story.....

This appears to have been the case with Raymond Maddox in this shooting, who by the way had a "clean toxicology screen," which showed no alcohol or drugs on board.

Forensic pathologists tell us there is no post-mortem artifact for adrenalin dump, and even if there was, its effect on the given person experiencing it cannot be precisely predicted. This shooting appears to be a classic example. Mortal wounds are not necessarily instantly fatal. The study of gunfights is replete with cases of "men who were dead, but didn't know it yet." It was not possible to reconstruct exactly when Maddox took the cardiac hit, but it is absolutely possible he was up and running for almost a minute despite a .45 caliber gunshot wound to the heart before the final bullet to the brain short-circuited his central nervous system and ended the encounter.

American Handgunner The Lessons Of Tim Gramins - American Handgunner

Aloha, Mark

PS....Rrrright......
Consider how many times we've heard the screams about, "The cop didn't have to shoot him so many times."

Last Edited:
Sooooooooooooooooooooo, for me, THIS is the most important part - 'Autopsy showed he had been hit by 17 of Gramins' 230-gr. Speer Gold Dot .45 hollowpoints. Some had hit extremities, including upper limbs as the officer's bullets tracked up the gunman's arms while he was firing at the cop. But Maddox had also been hit in one kidney, both lungs … and the heart. All three of Gramins' last carefully braced, precisely aimed shots had indeed hit the head, but two had smashed into his face and only the last had pierced the brain and ended the fight.'

Behold, the 9mm-v-45 ACP argument will continue.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo, for me, THIS is the most important part - 'Autopsy showed he had been hit by 17 of Gramins' 230-gr. Speer Gold Dot .45 hollowpoints. Some had hit extremities, including upper limbs as the officer's bullets tracked up the gunman's arms while he was firing at the cop. But Maddox had also been hit in one kidney, both lungs … and the heart. All three of Gramins' last carefully braced, precisely aimed shots had indeed hit the head, but two had smashed into his face and only the last had pierced the brain and ended the fight.'

Behold, the 9mm-v-45 ACP argument will continue.
It's like Real Estate....location, location, location.

Reinforces my opinion pistol rounds suck compared to rifle rounds but the bigger the better for sure. After the first 4-5 shots did not stop the guy I think it would have been prudent to go for a couple shots to the noggin.

That is also a reason why I never understood or got into the pistol caliber carbines. Why take a carbine designed for a much more effective round and neuter it with low powered pistol rounds? It essentially makes the worst of both worlds: You don't have the mobility of a pistol or the power of a carbine.

Oh man this video is wild. After watching several times I personally think it's a bad shoot. If that officer took a little better care of himself he could have easily beat the living tar out of that guy without drawing on him.

That is also a reason why I never understood or got into the pistol caliber carbines. Why take a carbine designed for a much more effective round and neuter it with low powered pistol rounds? It essentially makes the worst of both worlds: You don't have the mobility of a pistol or the power of a carbine.
Also, some people can't shoot pistols worth a hill a beans even given ideal conditions. o snap, check out this thread!

lool

Here is a video of an OIS. The video is imbedded in the story provided in the link. You have to watch the video in the link, so it's your decision to watch as its very graphic. Forget whether he should have shot or done something else. Not the point. The point is how many center mass hits the guy took before he stopped. Think about that the next time someone questions why so many shots were fired in a DGU.

White cop, white perp, black guy commentary = A-OK

White cop, black perp, white guy with same commentary - Chernobyl nuclear meltdown of America.

joe-biden-idiot-e1421682623485.jpg

Fifty percent of the time it works every time.

Toys. o_O

It's telling that almost all of the comments in this thread are about caliber or racism.

IMO:
The first 3 shots missed.
The next 3 were wildly placed.
The last 6 were likely solid hits, near center mass. You can see the 10th make a hole in the shirt.
Statistically, one of the final 6 was probably wild.
At first glance, I'd bet a beer that the dead guy has 7 or fewer entrance wounds, and 5 or fewer fatal hits.
If the "fatal 5" were among the last 6 fired, then the time from the first fatal hit to collapse is less than 3 seconds.

The shooter's form was sub-optimal.
Pick any USPSA (or other practical sport) shooter, run him or her through a stage that has no weak or strong hand, only 2-handed firing.
Then immediately run them through the same stage again, strong hand only.
Then immediately run them through the same stage a 3rd time, strong hand only, with the requirement that the pistol be held at least 30° off vertical for the entire stage.
Accuracy and speed will suffer with each departure from standard form.

Add in adrenaline and normal human reactions to unexpected confrontation, and you get 12 shots fired at close range with less than 12 hits and less than optimal placement.
Not everyone handles conflict and confrontation with the same thought processes. People react differently, resulting in different outcomes.
Good form is known to reduce variation in shooting outcomes; it helps offset the effects of introduced variables.

Look at 0:07.
I wonder how many trained officers would have shot him when he "reached" behind his back?
At that point in time, the deputy appeared to be in 2-handed form.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top