JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's less expensive, and *may* be better. The main reason to roll your own is if you want certain parts or to understand how everything works.

I have two uppers I was going to build, even had some of the components ready to go, but found uppers that were identical or close enough that I just ended up buying them and either sold off or stashed the parts. One is an 18" SPR from SOLGW the other is a BCM 14.5 BFH ELW middy with their MCMR that PA had on sale back in October, that purchase alone saved me $125.

I have two uppers I was going to build, even had some of the components ready to go, but found uppers that were identical or close enough that I just ended up buying them and either sold off or stashed the parts. One is an 18" SPR from SOLGW the other is a BCM 14.5 BFH ELW middy with their MCMR that PA had on sale back in October, that purchase alone saved me $125.

I came so close to buying that BCM at PA too.

I found this video and there seems to be some things missing. This looks pretty simple to do but, I notice this gentleman doesn't check head spacing so, is that something that is not necessary with newer technology?

And I apologize in advance as I'm not a gunsmith and usually buy my uppers already pre-assembled.:D
The AR is a different animal as compared to conventional rifles.
The AR barrel has a "barrel extension" ....the cogged piece that your bolt locks into.
So in reality, the AR barrel is headspaced by the barrelmaker when the barrel extension is torqued on.

If you want to check headspace there is a procedure and you need to know your parameters.

Be careful watching Youtube videos.
Any moron can post a video.
In my opinion, these are the best free AR Build videos (11 sections) on the Web :

If you buy a barrel from ar15performance.com you have the option to include a headspace matched bolt.
There shouldn't be a need for this. If an ar bolt is within spec then they are all going to provide the same amount of headspace. The idea of "matching" bolts is only needed if the barrel manufacturer is doing a terrible job. In which case they shouldnt be in business.

There shouldn't be a need for this. If an ar bolt is within spec then they are all going to provide the same amount of headspace. The idea of "matching" bolts is only needed if the barrel manufacturer is doing a terrible job. In which case they shouldnt be in business.

Ok so matched might be the wrong term.

Headspace checked.

I found this video and there seems to be some things missing. This looks pretty simple to do but, I notice this gentleman doesn't check head spacing so, is that something that is not necessary with newer technology?

And I apologize in advance as I'm not a gunsmith and usually buy my uppers already pre-assembled.:D
Oregon Rifle Works will check the head space in your build for free.

Good read. I "assembled the two in my avatar. They run awesome and I learned lots. I recommend it to all that are interested. Take the time and do your homework, buy quality parts. Also need a few specialty tools, and you should have no problems.
I took my first project to a shop and asked them to sell me a BCG, torque my barrel and check the headspace. (since I didn't have the socket or the gauges)
After having my stuff for two weeks, they forgot to sell me a BCG. They sold me and installed a gas block and tube onto my barrel, saying it was mandatory to do before barrel install (I didn't know any better and trusted them). I asked how they checked the headspace without a bolt, and what does the tool look like they torqued my barrel with? (I have a milling machine and was going to go home and build a tool) They said "They are all good with good parts and you got good parts, you'll be fine. We use this modified Crescent wrench because Ive done a million of these and I know the feel of how tight it needs to be" They still charged me the quoted amount but did not do either of the jobs I wanted/paid them to do. Needless to say I am no longer a customer there. I even previously spent over a grand on parts in their store, I thought they were gonna "help" me out. So my reason for telling this is, do your homework so your ignorance doesn't cost you. Find a reputable shop to do the work you cannot do yourself. These guys have a nice storefront and some high end stuff on the walls too, that don't mean s**t to me anymore. Buy the tools and stuff needed to do it yourself and don't be in a hurry, its fun! AR's are like Legos for adults.

Good read. I "assembled the two in my avatar. They run awesome and I learned lots. I recommend it to all that are interested. Take the time and do your homework, buy quality parts. Also need a few specialty tools, and you should have no problems.
I took my first project to a shop and asked them to sell me a BCG, torque my barrel and check the headspace. (since I didn't have the socket or the gauges)
After having my stuff for two weeks, they forgot to sell me a BCG. They sold me and installed a gas block and tube onto my barrel, saying it was mandatory to do before barrel install (I didn't know any better and trusted them). I asked how they checked the headspace without a bolt, and what does the tool look like they torqued my barrel with? (I have a milling machine and was going to go home and build a tool) They said "They are all good with good parts and you got good parts, you'll be fine. We use this modified Crescent wrench because Ive done a million of these and I know the feel of how tight it needs to be" They still charged me the quoted amount but did not do either of the jobs I wanted/paid them to do. Needless to say I am no longer a customer there. I even previously spent over a grand on parts in their store, I thought they were gonna "help" me out. So my reason for telling this is, do your homework so your ignorance doesn't cost you. Find a reputable shop to do the work you cannot do yourself. These guys have a nice storefront and some high end stuff on the walls too, that don't mean s**t to me anymore. Buy the tools and stuff needed to do it yourself and don't be in a hurry, its fun! AR's are like Legos for adults.
Say it wasn't Rainier Arms.

Say it wasn't Rainier Arms.

Not Rainier.
I don't want to blast these guys cause I am sure they can do some good work or because of my bad experience. They just didn't. I just want to help the new guys not be intimidated. There is nothing you cant do if you are willing to put in the effort and spend the money. Some shops think they are all that. Just move on and find the guys who gel with you.
I now shop at Pantel tactical. They get two thumbs up.

For what it is worth... I bought quality upper parts that were within my budget and took my bag-o-parts to Oregon Rifleworks. They built it and it works great. It took abit because you are at the mercy of where you are in the queue. I paid less for their build services than buying the tools cost. That works for me since it was only 1 upper. Have fun with it. That's what it is all about.

My input one "just going to build 1"

:s0140:

20200503_144914.jpg

Pro Tip :
Women pick up on colors.
Try to keep them all the same color.
As soon as you show up with a two-tone or some camo scheme....bam ! busted !

:)
That is no joke. I just finished a DD mk18 upper with the burnt bronze RIS ll quad rail, Tan exps3, fde surefire scout & back up sights. Before I got a chance to rattle can it my wife got a glance, stopped dead in her tracks, and immediately started in with

"is that new?! Why doesn't mine look like that? I want that one."

My input one "just going to build 1"

:s0140:

Exactly what I said too. I now have a nice selection. The first one shouldn't count, its the learner. The second and third is when you really start getting what you want. From then on its just options and colors. I'm currently in the 80% stage.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top