JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ive been building them for 30+ years. In the beginning I checked them all with headspace gages. Ive never seen one that wasnt in spec for headspace unless it was a OLD worn out rode hard and put away wet AR or M16 from the 60's ( some of the garbage like we had in the Army ) . Modern stuff I stopped doing the headspace thing years ago. Not like I could really adjust the headspacing anyway .

Specialized tools my eye. Receiver block and a magpul wrench is all you need. MAYBE a reaction rod if you like to overly tighten muzzle brakes. I will say that little tool I bought to install the front detent pin and that other one to put in the bolt catch roll pin have come in handy.

I was thinking of this one. I've used Toolcraft before and had no issues.

Personally I'd stick with a phosphate finish over Nitride and if going with Toolcraft watch C158 vs 9310 bolt steel, stick with C158.

Lining up the rail on top with the rail on the receiver and the hole for the gas tube.
Ok, got it!

They have this one in stock for the BCG so, I'll go with the Phosphate.

Not sure what timing is for a hand guard.

The barrel nut.

Example this GI barrel nut requires you to perfectly align a notch to allow the gas tube into the upper receiver....
Image result for gi barrel nut
A BCM barrel nut does not...
BCM KMR Barrel Nut
ETA:
As a bonus, in the case of the BCM barrel nut, the wrench will work on a RE castle nut.
BCM KMR Barrel Nut Wrench

Ok, what other hand guards out there don't need to be timed? BCM is a little more than what I want to pay as this is a budget build.:D

Theres many that are fully functional at a fraction of the cost of all of those . They might not get you a pat of the back by the Arfcom man barbie crowd but they work fine.

Thanks guys! I found one I'm really liking and it is a great price. Afraid to post it as it might go out of stock!:s0140::s0140:

They might not get you a pat of the back by the Arfcom man barbie crowd but they work fine.
Well, since this is my first complete build and a budget one, as long as it goes bang and puts boolitz down range, I'm not to worried what others might have to say about it.:s0112::s0155:

Not sure where at in OR you are, but I've got the tools to assemble an upper and if you needed someone to walk you through it, my garage is open to you to do so.

Everything you have picked out thus far is of good quality and will result in a nice long lasting rifle.

Oh wow, I really appreciate that! I am just outside of Corvallis and right now, I'm just getting all the pieces together. Hopefully, it won't be to much longer.

I was thinking of this one. I've used Toolcraft before and had no issues.

Should be a good one for you.

Toolcaft makes good bcgs, we have 4 so far. We went dlc coated. There are a few different nitride finishes, all are basicly the same type of finishing process. All harden the surface of the steel. All are slicker and easier to clean. All have less friction than phosphate and can be run drier.

That review explains the steel and coatings of the Toolcraft Labeled bcgs. They also make no-names for relabeling.

Oh wow, I really appreciate that! I am just outside of Corvallis and right now, I'm just getting all the pieces together. Hopefully, it won't be to much longer.
Just hit me up. Offer stands. I'll let you do the work, but I'll just help if needed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top