JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok, decided I want to give this a try anyway! Bought an Anderson upper receiver with no forward/dust cover. Recommend me a barrel that is 16", .223 Wylde, carbine or mid length for low profile gas block as I'm going with a free float hand guard. Budget build so, don't want to break the bank. NO BCA or junk stuff please!:D

Ok, I'm having second thoughts on that barrel. Why go stainless steel? I'm not a match shooter and just making a budget range shooter. Seems I'm finding mostly stainless for the 223 Wylde though. Any particular reason for that?

Ok, I'm having second thoughts on that barrel. Why go stainless steel? I'm not a match shooter and just making a budget range shooter. Seems I'm finding mostly stainless for the 223 Wylde though. Any particular reason for that?
223 Wylde is an accuracy chambering.
Match barrels are commonly made from stainless because it yields good service life and not being lined (plated), the barrelmaker's skills can shine without muted by plating.

OTOH, a 5.56 chambered military or patrol type barrel is usually of carbon steel and often they are chrome lined to better stand up to rapid firing and thus increase service life.

ETA
For a lower cost barrel you could look for a nitrided or lined or even an un-lined barrel chambered in 5.56

Last Edited:
ETA
For a lower cost barrel you could look for a nitrided or lined or even an un-lined barrel chambered in 5.56
Thank you for the info! I was thinking of chrome lined barrel also and perhaps a tad less expensive for what I'm building. I found a couple including one by Faxon. Any idea if that maker is of good quality? Also found one by FN and am leaning that way as i"v got experience with FN barrels.:D

If you buy a barrel from ar15performance.com you have the option to include a headspace matched bolt.

ar15performance also has their own vendor section at the 6.8 SPC forums, that's a treasure trove of info on building, running, and loading for ARs. Harrison is a good guy and his outfit puts out good (useful) Wildcat designs, bolts and barrels. Currently waiting for him to build some 6 ARC barrels and bolts to be able finish 2 Seekins 'DMR' builds for Ridge Walking with the Wife (Christmas Presents). In fact Hornady's new 6 ARC is very close to one of his Wildcats. We have 4 of his barrels so far, but they are mated to Toolcraft BCGs/Bolts on existing rifles. When his 6 ARCs are ready we will get them with bolts. I expect their bolts are of the same high tolerances and overall quality as the barrels are, I can only vouch for the barrels so far.

Thank you for the info! I was thinking of chrome lined barrel also and perhaps a tad less expensive for what I'm building. I found a couple including one by Faxon. Any idea if that maker is of good quality? Also found one by FN and am leaning that way as i"v got experience with FN barrels.:D
Faxon is good.
Also ARPerformance mentioned above is very good.

If I were to go with the stainless barrel, about how many rounds before I started seeing accuracy issues? Keeping in mind, it would take me a while just to put ten thousand rounds through a barrel.:D

Last Edited:
Faxon is top shelf. I have their 20" gunner profile. Not so sure Id go with the "pencil" type barrel again for my uses. I also have a 20" Criterion fluted that is stainless and love it. But, it wasnt cheap. I think you get what you pay for with barrels, chose wisely.

Checked out their website and they don't have any 16" barrels in stock.:(

I think they are working on a LE contract and aren't taking orders at the moment. They are suppose to get back to it later this month if you aren't in a big hurry. I have a buddy that is chomping at the bit to get one of 11.5" reduced gas port uppers for a can and can hardly wait for them to start taking orders again.

My Anderson Slick Side upper came in the mail today for my build. Getting excited! I have a BCG in mind, hand guard already picked out and just need to decide on a muzzle device.:D

thumbnail_IMG_0212.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0213.jpg

I have a BCG in mind,

Hopefully not one of the "special" coated ones.

hand guard already picked out

I'd suggest one doesn't require timing.

and just need to decide on a muzzle device.

Just get an A2 until you've made up your mind, they are dirt cheap and very effective at flash suppression, which IMO is better/ more practical then a break or comp.

I found this video and there seems to be some things missing. This looks pretty simple to do but, I notice this gentleman doesn't check head spacing so, is that something that is not necessary with newer technology?

And I apologize in advance as I'm not a gunsmith and usually buy my uppers already pre-assembled.:D

check head space...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top