JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got caught up in a discussion elsewhere about the difference between an original Colt 1911 and a copy or clone.
Aside from boutique pistols, how many different manufactures are there for the 1911?
I give up. There are dozens of copies and clones out there.
The original 1970's vintage Ser. 70 Gov. may be my favorite, but I can work with most metal.
Given a choice I prefer not to work with MIM.
I have even had good results with some castings for frame and slide. Not so much with MIM internals.

I have this for the Colt snobs.
The Colt is a knock off from the original Browning design. šŸ˜

Have a nice day

img_9885.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg 1200px-Pistol_US_Colt_M1900_(10193185426)_(cropped).jpg 45Lugerrightside.jpg

I'll just leave these here.

My colt says colt on the slide. My Springfields say Springfield. My Taylor's and Co says made in the Philippines. Not a damn one of them suggests anything about being a 1911, so it's probably the same kind of idea with ARs.

Yeabut MINE is a colt. So?

CCP made a copy of the 1911, Norinco was the company. Like everything else made by the commies it was good enough for those who wanted to save a buck.

About everyone makes a copy now.

Stick with the Series 70 on down to stay away from MIM stuff.

1911 va A1

The M1911A1 changes to the original design consisted of a shorter trigger, cutouts in the frame behind the trigger, an arched mainspring housing, a longer grip safety spur, a wider front sight, a shortened hammer spur.

Not a Colt snob, as there was a time when their QC was spotty...and the edges on them so sharp one could shave with them.

Soooo....
A Colt 1911A1 is the same as Remington Rand 1911A1 other than the markings....

In any event...I also enjoy my original Colt series '70....with that said...own , shoot and enjoy what you like.
Andy

Thank You Andy.

Stick with the spirit of the thread so we don't get it locked within 10 minutes.

It's been way more fun so far than I imagined.

CCP made a copy of the 1911, Norinco was the company. Like everything else made by the commies it was good enough for those who wanted to save a buck.

About everyone makes a copy now.
Before Clinton cut them off those china made clones were VERY well made for what was being paid. Back then there was not a flood of clones made with all the bells and whistles like now. Those china made clones became a popular piece to have worked over into something nice. Probably still a bunch of them floating around these days that were worked up into something nice.
Another thing many forget is Colt went through a couple times were the Co was having some real trouble and cranked out some very poor stuff when QC was being skipped. Got a 70 Series in the late 70's or early 80's from a sporting goods place that was getting out of selling hand guns and a good price. Damn thing was a lemon that took a lot of damn work to finally make correct. No doubt still some floating around from that time too.

The way I understand this is John Moses Browning designed the pistol and sold the rights to Colt. Called back then the .45 Caliber Auto Colt pistol. The Army adopted the pistol in 1911 and called it the Pistol, Model 1911 and had the afore mentioned changes incorporated into the Pistol, Model 1911A1.This was both at the dawn of mass production and war time production. The thing was all 1911a1's made by all the different manufacturers had to have interchangeable parts. That's why you can find you can find such things as a Singer Slide (of sewing machine fame) with a Union Switch and Signal frame.
IMHO any mil-spec 1911a1 will have the parts interchangeability across the years and makes. Any non mil-spec 1911 is a copy in looks but has propriety model differences. I was a Small arms repairman for the Guard in the late 80's and if you needed a part for a 1911a1 you ordered the part with out regard for the name on the frame and slide. There was no series 70 or 80 those are civilian changes not military.

Before Clinton cut them off those china made clones were VERY well made for what was being paid. Back then there was not a flood of clones made with all the bells and whistles like now. Those china made clones became a popular piece to have worked over into something nice. Probably still a bunch of them floating around these days that were worked up into something nice.
Another thing many forget is Colt went through a couple times were the Co was having some real trouble and cranked out some very poor stuff when QC was being skipped. Got a 70 Series in the late 70's or early 80's from a sporting goods place that was getting out of selling hand guns and a good price. Damn thing was a lemon that took a lot of damn work to finally make correct. No doubt still some floating around from that time too.
Colt started business in 1837 so I imagine in all those years that some Colts were not up to par. Smith&wesson didn't start until 1852 and they too had some rough guns they put out. When Bangor Punta owned Smith the Smith quality really suffered.

Series 70s were pretty good Colts except for the finger style barrel bushing, it broke too often. I ran a Colt series 70 in the IPSC matches for years and it never broke.

Kimber puts out a good copy, once the high tech manufacturers got good machinery they started making good frames and slides.

Almost everyone makes a 1911 now .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads