JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can someone point me to the specific law that makes buying a handgun in WA such a lengthy process? I've been up and down RCW 9.41 without spotting it -- is it somewhere else?

There is a LOT you are not telling us here. First do you have a CPL (Carry permit)? If so there is no difference in buying a handgun in this state than any other state. You just have to pass the Federal insta check like in every state now AFAIK.
Now if you chose to not get a CPL then it's a little different. The dealer has to let the Chief Enforcement Officer (CLEO) where you reside know you wish to buy a hand gun. The dealer can wait to get a hard OK on this, or can wait a certain number of days then run you through the Federal check and if they say proceed sell you the handgun. Back during the great panic that ended with the Trump win many were saying there was long delays waiting for the CLEO sign off. It's for this reason I have always just told anyone who lives here and wants a handgun, just get a CPL. Even if you don't want to use it to carry it's just easier when you buy. Not to mention something may come up one day where you want to carry. If you have the permit you can.

I got my concealed carry license as much for purchasing as for carrying.
Without a CPL when purchasing a handgun, you are simply a second class citizen. (in WA)
It's that simple.

...The dealer has to let the Chief Enforcement Officer (CLEO) where you reside know you wish to buy a hand gun. The dealer can wait to get a hard OK on this, or can wait a certain number of days then run you through the Federal check and if they say proceed sell you the handgun....

No CPL. My understanding of the process is the same as yours but what I want to do is read the actual law that lays out the process.

Not quite -- it says a dealer must do a background check, but it doesn't describe the BGC -- I don't see a distinction where if I buy a rifle all they have to do is a Federal Check and it takes about an hour, compared to if I buy a pistol they have to go through local law enforcement.

I bought a handgun back in 2006 and they did not have it in stock so store had to order it. Once it arrived I went back to fill out the paperwork and I believe they received an OK back from the police department in 5 days. Once that occurred I was able to pickup my hand gun. But yeah when I bought a pump shotgun I just filled out the paper work, gun shop did a background check and it was given to me in less than an hour.

What is a valid "permanent" Washington DL?
I want one of them there so I don a have ta keep a renewin my non-permanent Washington DL... boy howdy!!!!;););)

I get extensions to my Washington state driver's license but ever couple of extensions they want me to have a new picture taken so I need to go into driver's license office and have my picture taken. I do do not need to be retested but they do check my vision.

Last Edited:
Tony, in my line of thinking, Permanent is Permanent, meaning not having to renew it every 4 years. ;)

Screenshot_20180204-114731.png

Tony, in my line of thinking, Permanent is Permanent, meaning not having to renew it every 4 years. ;)

View attachment 427779

I know what permanent means as well. But I am not sure if any ID is permanent since driver's license and passports expire as well. I don't believe I can by gun with a passport either since it shows I am an American citizen and what state I was born in but does not have any home address information so I give them my DL instead.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top