JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll start at the bottom and work up... For the smaller vermin I've got a Ruger 10/22 in .22LR with a Hogue stock and Butler Creek varmint barrel that shoots 3/4" 30 shot groups at 50 yards with plain Jane Remington Peters ammo. This is a squirrel killing machine. I have a new box of match ammo I'll try out later this week...

For a walking rifle I have a Rem700 LVSF in .223 with a bushnell 3200 3-9X scope. I'm going to sell the scope and switch to something that will zoom out to 14X soon since I also like this rifle from the bench. I got this rifle last fall with the intent to shoot some coyotes but have yet to get a shot at one.

I have a new Rem700 VSSF in .22-250 that should be a tack driver according to the smith that tested it. He put a Rifle Basics trigger in it and set it at 2lbs. He also upgraded the firing pin spring and installed a muzzle brake. It has a Leupold 4.5-14X VX3 AO mounted on top. I hope to get some time to hunt with this rifle next spring or summer but with the new job, vacation is not as plentiful.

If too windy for either of those two, I have an Interarms Mark X (.25-06) that my uncle built in the 1970's. It has a custom walnut thumbhole stock and has a Burris Fullfield II 3-9X mounted on it. It was intended for deer and was used for deer, elk, and the occasional eastern Oregon coyote but since it is chambered in the ultimate crossover cartridge, I've worked up two varmint loads for it. One using the 75 grain Vmax and the other using a 87 grain Sierra Varminter. The rifling in this gun is so far out that these bullets have to be seated 1/4" from the rifling. It seems that people really didn't use the lighter bullets back then. I still get 3/4 groups with the Vmax and 1" with the Sierra. Remington ammo with 117 grain lead will print 1/2" groups from this rifle.

Between the .223 and .25-06 I worked up 700 rounds for a 2 week varminting trip to Nevada back in June with my dad. Unfortunately, we saw everything but varmints on the trip (including snow!). We called coyotes everywhere in the top half of the state and never heard a reply. We saw two rabbits and one rock chuck none of which were in a legal place to shoot. I'm hoping to go again, maybe next spring, and have a more successful trip.

get a suppressor

This guy speaks the truth;)

Bagged this critter in the backyard
It's amazing how quiet a P-22 can get:s0114:

0513082228.jpg

Thanks, Dave.

Here is a rifle that a buddy and I modified for yotes and bigger game. It started out as a Ruger Mod 77, Mk2 V/T in 25-06. Its now chambered for 257 Weatherby. It will shoot 100 grain Nosler BT's at 3600 fps and 110 grain Nosler AB's at 3500 fps. The yotes were gotten last spring a few miles east of Bend.

pairyotes.jpg

I have a variety of Varmint rigs. I have several Remingto 40x repeaters, 220 swift, 22-250, 223, 6mm Remington and a 222.

I also have a couple custom built AR15 rifles with Dan Lilja barrels in various configurations. My favorites for rat and Prairie dogging are my ARs with a 27 inch Lilja 1 in 12 twist using 50 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullets. I have also used the Hornady V-Max bullets as well and found them to work equally as well, when using 26.5 grains of H335 powder. With these rifles I can literally shot them critters while they are running and see the hit.

PICT0337.jpg
This the 22-250 with a Leupold Varmint scope, on a sage rat expedition in SE Oregon.

For Sage rats/rock chucks and grey diggers a 77/22 with Pride-Fowler 6x scope and a Ruger 77VT in .223 with a 3.5 x 10 x 50 Burris and swivel mount Harris bipod. I have been known to shoot anything that goes bang at them though.

For Nutria I have a Gemtech Outback .22 suppressor on a Browning Buckmark and my 77/22 will also take it.

Take a look at the Savage line of center fire rifles.They make a number of heavy barreled small caliber (.223, 22-250, .243) that come with their accu-trigger system.
I have some of their rifles in .223 and they are very accurate! Under 1/2" @ 100 yards.
Be sure you select a good scope to mount on your long range rifle. A 6X24X40 will work great.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top