JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just ordered
a 308 Spanish Mauser in Monte Carlo stock with optic mount and timney trigger.

74B9883D-25A4-4DF1-91D4-F57EB28A083E.jpeg

DeanMk said:
For me, its gotta be my brother's '95 Chilean Mauser and my dad's '94 Winchester.
I hear you on the Winchester 94. I've been all over the map with firearms exploration, but that one is just "so right". Graceful, light handling, enough power to handle a lot of tasks. :s0155:
I agree wholeheartedly, however, I should add I used my dad's gun pre-scope.
I'm really not a fan of that scope and even he mentioned it was a little too powerful for brush hunting.
Under 2X would be a much better way to go....thus my affection for a 1-4X in the traditional position on top of a 336.
In original form, it is a nice gun, though.

Winchester_Model1894_Dad_01.jpg Mauser_1895_Chilean_Bill-04.jpg

I've always kinda felt that putting scopes on old lever actions was nearly akin to blasphemy.:eek: I understand the reasoning for it, because I have old eyes. I have two .30-.30s -- A Marlin Model 93 passed down from my maternal grandfather and a Savage that I assume is a Model 99 that has been re-barreled passed down from my paternal grandfather. (The Savage is an odd looking 99 for sure and doesn't actually have a model number on it.) I can't bring myself to scope either of them. Of course, they mostly just sit anymore. In fact, I would share pictures but they are buried too deep in the safe.

When I was younger and busting brush, I used a Remington 7600 in .270. Light and maneuverable. It did carry a 3X9 scope as my eyesight started going bad in high school. It was when I was taking the eye exam part of my driver's test that I came to realize the blackboard at school wasn't just blurry because I was cool and sat in the back row.

Last Edited:
I've always kinda felt that putting scopes on old lever actions was nearly akin to blasphemy.:eek: I understand the reasoning for it, because I have old eyes. I have two .30-.30s -- A Marlin Model 93 passed down from my maternal grandfather and a Savage that I assume is a Model 99 that has been re-barreled passed down from my paternal grandfather. (The Savage is an odd looking 99 for sure and doesn't actually have a model number on it.) I can't bring myself to scope either of them. Of course, they mostly just sit anymore. In fact, I would share pictures but they are buried too deep in the safe.

When I was younger and busting brush, I used a Remington 7600 in .270. Light and maneuverable. It did carry a 3X9 scope as my eyesight started going bad in high school. It was when I was taking the eye exam part of my driver's test that I came to realize the blackboard at school wasn't just blurry because I was cool and sat in the back row.
That's why I favour the 336 and the BLR these days....you can put the scope over the receiver where the SOB belongs (and the BLR can still be had in .358 :s0155: )

Anything Steyr made in the 1950's, like Mannlicher-shoenauer, in 6.5x54. If it was good enough foe Hemingway, it's ok for me. Just bought this one, and will be picking it up by the end of the week. It's a model 1950 in 6.5x54, factory scope mounts, and Kahles scope, factory peep sight. New old stock. Worlds finest rifle.

pix411317324.jpg

That's why I favour the 336 and the BLR these days....you can put the scope over the receiver where the SOB belongs (and the BLR can still be had in .358 :s0155: )
Now that you mention it, my sister had a BLR with a scope on it and it didn't look half bad. I believe it was a .243 Win, which is certainly a caliber built for a scope, if not exactly for a lever action.

The Marlin 336 appears on this thread in greater attention than I might have suspected. Rightfully so.
Also here is a peripheral discussion of the questionable wisdom of installing optics on such a rifle. Rightfully so.

Here are two examples at each end of the spectrum: A 336 with optics (I believe justifiably) installed...
And a Model 99 Savage in .250-3000 with (justifiably again) no optics.

P2160372.JPG
Marlin Model 336 .30-30 Caliber, 1948 Manufacture. Lyman Alaskan 2.5x with Post reticle. Contemporary and appropriate (in size AND improvement) for the gun. This rifle is hands-down one of the most accurate rifles I own. It gives fat barreled bolt varminters a hard run for the money.

Savage Model 99EG .250-3000 Caliber. Williams receiver peep. This gun somehow escaped being drilled and tapped for scope mounts (not many in this caliber escaped).
Drilling and tapping it would have been sacrilege.

Lack of optics does not detract from its performance in the field one whit:

PA230322.JPG

A favorite would be a Model 94, as it was the first deer-capable long gun I ever bought. I shot a bunch of deer with it, and I absolutely denied the need for a scope on any rifle. After I ate those words, I bought a Ruger 77R. It remains my most adored rifle, although I've not hunted with it in 20+ years.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top