JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, been a little nostalgic looking at the gun cabinet this evening. (Well, until wife needed that room so she could do work-related Zoom, uninterrupted by wee ones. :s0112:) Got me to thinking of classic hunting rifles of yesteryear. That is ones I've owned/shot/carried afield, others I remember from youth, others utilized by family or close friends, some of whom far away or long gone.

Which brings me to my question: do you have any favorite, classic hunting rifles that you've enjoyed or bring back joyful memories? Care to share recollections, pics, etc.? :)

P.S. I briefly tried to come up with parameters of what would qualified for "classic", and quickly gave up. My definition of said may not be yours or the next fellow, and there is no need to overthink such a thing.

I thought the metric for "classic" was 20 years or older. Though I think for guns it should be closer to 30. I dont know. To me another mandatory component defining classic is also a design that never gets tired or old to admire. My favorite is the classic lever gun chambered in classic 3030.

Grandpa's old "cowboy" rifle. I think it was a Winchester 94 from around the early 20's, after he got out of the Army. I sure wish I had a picture...

Oh not a particular rifle, more of a style. Wood and steel bolt guns just feel right to me kinda like an old friends hand shake. Just holding one evokes feelings of both the past and future times together. Plastic guns are just cold and utilitarian but are lacking the soul of wood.

Hmmm...Let me think....
Something that loads from the muzzle...and is in .54 caliber...:D

My favorite rifle of all...is my Hawken rifle.
I have the greatest respect for its maker...and the rifle has never failed me...any fault its shooting has been mine.
It is the rifle that I shoot the best with and does everything I need a rifle to do.

I also do enjoy a lever action .30-30 or a .30-06 in a classic action of the Mauser type ...or any of its many copies.
Andy

My favorite is the one my dad hunted with for most of the years we hunted together, which was a span of about 25 years. It is a Remington model 721 in 300 H&H. I have been fortunate to take one small 5x5 bull elk with it and it accompanied me on an unsuccessful Alberta moose hunt which is a great memory in itself. The next is my FIL's pre 64 Winchester model 70 in 270. I have yet to hunt with this one yet but might carry it on a mule deer hunt this fall.

While maybe not a typical pick, I am currently infatuated with my Sako forester deluxe in 243 which will be my number one rifle for this years hunts

These
Marlin 1895 45-70
Marlin 336 30-30
Winchester model 94 30-30

20200810_192244.jpg Marlin336.jpg Win2.jpg

Last Edited:
Favorite classic is the Savage 99F my dad gave me many years ago and that I killed my first buck with. It still hunts and I'm hoping my grandson will use it this year.

My favorite is my first hunting rifle. First deer with it. First elk. First pronghorn antelope. Given to me in 1982 for my 13th birthday.

Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight in .257 Roberts. All animals I've killed with it were one-shot kills from 100 to 270 yards using 117gr bullets. Including the elk.

IMG_20200920_192933579.jpg

-My first big game rifle is Rem 700 BDL SPS, 300WM. Bought it 30 years ago, when Rem were still really good. She doesn't get out much anymore, but shes been all over the country with me and we partnered on many elk, deer. She will be the 3rd last to go if ever need be.
-I suppose I should say my Marlin 60 I got from my dad on my 10th birthday.Still have. Lots of squirrels, racoon and birds have succumbed to her. She will be the very last to go.
In between is mt dad's 30-30 with along story, she never hunted yet, but she will.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top