JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Tikka chambered in .223/5.56 that would work well for most critters in this category.

Not sure if this should be here or in hunting, but I'm looking to get into some predator hunting and looking at what eifle would be good and more importantly in what caliber.

Is there a caliber that would be a good all around for coyotes, foxes and bobcat?

I would prefer to be able keep pelts so not blasting huge holes is my goal but still want it to drop them quick and humane.

Thanks for the knowledge

-B

Since you mentioned Fox and bobcat. I wanted to make sure you know. You will need a fur bearers license.

Coyotes? Go for it.

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/small_game/regulations/docs/Furbearer_Regulations.pdf

''A general hunting license does not allow the holder to trap, hunt or pursue furbearers, but only to hunt unprotected mammals (see definition on page 7).''

Last Edited:
I have shot a lot of coyotes with 243 and would never recommend it if pelts are what you are after. Great round for putting them down but generally with a good sized hole in them.

204 Ruger is my choice. 40 grain V-MAX works great on coyotes. I am not going to say you will never see an exit hole but I have seen more than a few that exploded inside the body cavity and dropped them in their tracks. Pretty hard to find an entry hole, let alone an exit hole.

Here are some of my bolt action varmint rifles that technically would meet your requirements. Top is a Ruger .17 HMR - a little marginal. Next is a Cooper .20 VarTarg which is a great round but no factory ammo available. Next is a Wby Vanguard .223 and below that a Remington model 700 .223. Lots of other options, and if I owned another it would be a Tikka.

.223 is probably the best caliber for all around versatility. 40 grain up through 55 or more grains covers all your hunting needs. There are other great options like the .22-250 and .204 Ruger too. Have fun selecting and shooting whatever you buy.

View attachment 540978

Great looking guns, always loved the look of the Remington 700, probably start looking for that in .223. will all rifles shoot .556 safely as well?

Since you mentioned Fox and bobcat. I wanted to make sure you know. You will need a fur bearers license.

Coyotes? Go for it.

https://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/small_game/regulations/docs/Furbearer_Regulations.pdf

''A general hunting license does not allow the holder to trap, hunt or pursue furbearers, but only to hunt unprotected mammals (see definition on page 7).''

Taking my trapping test next week when I'm free, making sure I have all angles covered.

Thanks for looking out

Depends on distance, flat country is different. Shot coyote in arizona, they learned quickly to stay further out. Eventually I was trying for 500 yard moving targets. Went to a 300 win mag, rather go for overkill, actually got a few twofers.

Winchester 70 classic, laredo. Best bolt gun I ever owned.

looked like this one winchester model 70 laredo - Bing images

A fine gentleman by the name of Ron Kesselring began using a .204 Ruger and I believe that was the last rifle he ever bought. He talked about making clean, one shot kills out beyond 400 yards and more. He also said he would go through a case of ammunition in a day worth of shooting! Now that's shooting.:D:D:D

I actually went through that information. The only reason I went for a 22-250 REM over the 204. Ruger was due to having less drift on the 22-250 REM at longer distance. Not only does my Savage model 12 go out for yotes but 500yd ground squirrels too. I will tone down a handled if I'm looking to save pelts and see if I can get away with it on my 55gr Nosler Varmageddon.

For me, it's hard to beat a .223 bolt gun.

IMG_20190105_114534_048.jpg

I am surprised that here in Northwestfirearms classifieds Rifle.
Rem model 7 camp in 243.
With bullets(Nosler) 55 to 95 it also has a 22" bbl. could improve it with just a Jewell trigger. $400 Why wouldn't it have already be scooped up?
Seems like a perfect predator and deer rifle.
There is also camo fabric tape for covering the scope completing the camo package ?

I am surprised that here in Northwestfirearms classifieds Rifle.
Rem model 7 camp in 243.
With bullets(Nosler) 55 to 95 it also has a 22" bbl. could improve it with just a Jewell trigger. $400 Why wouldn't it have already be scooped up?
Seems like a perfect predator and deer rifle.
There is also camo fabric tape for covering the scope completing the camo package ?

Nothing really is selling. The other issue its a Model Seven instead of a 700.

Calling? IF so most of your shots will be under 100 yards. Two weeks ago I shot 11, 9 under 100 yards, one that hung up at 210 and one at 299 (I know, I tried to stretch it to 300 but it was a no go). A 223 bolt gun has worked for me for a long time. Order a suppressor now so in year you will have it:D. Buy the best scope you can afford because you will be shooting in low light situations. A BDC reticle is a must. Variable power of course. I shoot a Swarovski 6-18X50. 55 grain V-MAX go in and don't come out and the varmint drops in place. In the summer use whatever is on sale, Last summer I used some 62 grain pointed soft point. Big holes, but hey only 20 cents a shot. You should also carry a shotgun I use a 20 ga auto with 3 inch #4 buck.

I rarely take pix anymore but here is a double from several months ago and a closeup of my Howa 1500

yotes.jpg
223.jpg

Not sure if this should be here or in hunting, but I'm looking to get into some predator hunting and looking at what eifle would be good and more importantly in what caliber.

Is there a caliber that would be a good all around for coyotes, foxes and bobcat?

I would prefer to be able keep pelts so not blasting huge holes is my goal but still want it to drop them quick and humane.

Thanks for the knowledge

-B
I know a lot of people prefer semi automatic rifles for preditor hunting and with that many also like the AR style in 223, but my preference is for a bolt action in 243. I have two of them just in case something happens to one of them. Both with Leupold optics.
Your preference should be just that, what kind of firearm do you prefer and what caliber do you want to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top