JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I too have my fathers Savage model 99F in 300 Sav...No idea how many Muley's it has taken...The pocket calendars nailed on the Ponderosa in our Silvies hunt camp went back to 1948...Over Christmas holiday this year I found and bought one I've been looking for 3 years...Ruger M77 in 25-06....So, finding that gun was pretty much the only thing good about 2020...Suppose I should mention my still growing collection of vintage 270's...Still love them, in spite of the new girl in the safe.

Probably the nicest rifle I have ever owned was a Remington 700 BDL 'Classic' model in 7mm Rem Mag.

Incredibly accurate (beyond belief actually) very nice wood, fit and finish but I didn't shoot it enough to justify the caliber.

Expensive to even reload for, heavy recoil and 'toning down' the loads didn't help much. It wasn't something I could just take out and 'plink' with and a bit much for varmints and I eventually traded it off.

Maybe this is the thread to watch.
I'm not a hunter-simply because I don't care for the taste of game. But no better place than to research budget friendly accurate rifles. I see target/sniper set ups are niche pricey. I figured hunters shoot nothing within hundreds of yards.

Probably the nicest rifle I have ever owned was a Remington 700 BDL 'Classic' model in 7mm Rem Mag.

Incredibly accurate (beyond belief actually) very nice wood, fit and finish but I didn't shoot it enough to justify the caliber.

Expensive to even reload for, heavy recoil and 'toning down' the loads didn't help much. It wasn't something I could just take out and 'plink' with and a bit much for varmints and I eventually traded it off.
My "go to" rifle is the 700 Classic in .25-06. I haven't rifle hunted for deer in awhile, but now that the ODFW has jacked around with the bow seasons, I'm thinking seriously of getting a rifle tag this year. However, since it has been 10 years since my dad left us, and I have a significant birthday this year, I'll probably be using his .25-06 Mauser with a thumbhole stock. When I was 12 years old, I set my Winchester .32-20 aside and borrowed his rifle to kill my first buck at a distance I probably had no business shooting. That has been well over 20, uh 30, er 40 years, well, it has been quite some time since then.;)

IMG_7617.JPG

My "go to" rifle is the 700 Classic in .25-06. I haven't rifle hunted for deer in awhile, but now that the ODFW has jacked around with the bow seasons, I'm thinking seriously of getting a rifle tag this year. However, since it has been 10 years since my dad left us, and I have a significant birthday this year, I'll probably be using his .25-06 Mauser with a thumbhole stock. When I was 12 years old, I set my Winchester .32-20 aside and borrowed his rifle to kill my first buck at a distance I probably had no business shooting. That has been well over 20, uh 30, er 40 years, well, it has been quite some time since then.;)

View attachment 825932

Wow! I'd love to have a classic in 25-06!

I owned a 70s or earlier Rem 700 BDL in 6mm Rem. Best out of the box trigger and accuracy for an American made rifle at the time. Killed some deer with it. The wood was great, the checkering very fine, and I liked the black fore-end cap.

Also had a 60s vintage Rem 700 ADL in .243Win. It wasn't as nice as the one above, but it was also very accurate. Shot deer and yotes with it. 100gr Sierra BT for deer.

Next was the 70s vintage Ruger 77 in 7mmMAG with wood stock (no Monte Carlo) and a hard rubber buttpad. Used it for elk with 170 grain Nosler partition. It was accurate enough, and didn't kick too badly but it was kinda a sharp recoil pulse.

My first rifle was an old Enfield .303 British. Never shot an animal with it. Not all that accurate.

My second rifle was an old 03-A3. It was pretty well worn out, and I didn't like the action and lock time compared to the Rem 700.

DSC06619 (1).jpg
St. Louis marked F.W. Seiferth made .50 Caliber "Plains Rifle" circa 1850's .
Not sure what game it has taken in the past....I do know that it has taken deer with me.

J.Henry .58 caliber flintlock Trade Rifle , circa 1800 - 1820's.
Again not sure what game it has taken in the past , for me , its been both deer and elk.
Andy
DSC06814.jpg

I'll hold some ground here on two fronts:
And since it ain't no competition ("favorite"):

NOTHING more hunting rifle Classic than a Savage 99.

NO cartridge more Classic than .250-3000.

P2140368.JPG

So, been a little nostalgic looking at the gun cabinet this evening. (Well, until wife needed that room so she could do work-related Zoom, uninterrupted by wee ones. :s0112:) Got me to thinking of classic hunting rifles of yesteryear. That is ones I've owned/shot/carried afield, others I remember from youth, others utilized by family or close friends, some of whom far away or long gone.

Which brings me to my question: do you have any favorite, classic hunting rifles that you've enjoyed or bring back joyful memories? Care to share recollections, pics, etc.? :)

P.S. I briefly tried to come up with parameters of what would qualified for "classic", and quickly gave up. My definition of said may not be yours or the next fellow, and there is no need to overthink such a thing.
For me, its gotta be my brother's '95 Chilean Mauser and my dad's '94 Winchester.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top