JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if this should be here or in hunting, but I'm looking to get into some predator hunting and looking at what eifle would be good and more importantly in what caliber.

Is there a caliber that would be a good all around for coyotes, foxes and bobcat?

I would prefer to be able keep pelts so not blasting huge holes is my goal but still want it to drop them quick and humane.

Thanks for the knowledge

-B

Lots of them have been taken with an AR in 5.56.

If that's not your cup of tea, I'd say a .243 bolt action will do nicely as well.

For this application, I've always liked the .223 Remington / 5.56㎜ NATO. I don't own a single bolt-action, so can't help much there, though one of the offerings from CZ looks like fun. These are the ones I run in the aforementioned chambering:

469857-2413d29391e64c56d3b4e09ba2501c08-jpg.jpg

coyote1-jpg-jpg.jpg

22 magnum, if you want to save/sell the pelts... My buddy has a trappers license and sells all of his furs and he swears by the 22WMR.. If you are looking for a great little lightweight bolt action, the Ruger American rimfire is excellent.

Here's a pic of a few of my rimfire varmint rifles. Top one is a Savage 93R17, middle is my RAR 22wmr, and the bottom is one probably my favorite, the A17...
RUXKBxH.jpg

All 3 are exceptional shooters, but for shooting yote sized game, I prefer the 22WMR over the 17HMR..
f47fk75.jpg

Last Edited:
The trick is to pick a bullet that expands rapidly and has a lower sectional density to avoid deep penetration. 22 WMR for closer shots with the 22 Hornet being good a little further. The other 22 centerfires with lighter bullets using plastic tips for rapid expansion would work up to 222 Mag. I wouldnt venture into the 22-250 unless shots were long as a rule. I wouldn't venture into the 6mms unless it was something like a 6x45. I hear good things about the 204 Ruger. I bet a 17 K-Hornet would also work well.

17hmr should do just fine.

That's what my friend thought too, but after losing a few yotes with well placed 17 caliber bullets from the HMR, he changed his mind... He's a pretty big time coyote hunter, that has gone to the yote tournaments in southern oregon. His weapons of choice are his 12 gauge for up close and personal (he's had a yote sniff the back of his hand, while calling), .223Rem AR15 and his RAR 22WMR...

That's what my friend thought too, but after losing a few yotes with well placed 17 caliber bullets from the HMR, he changed his mind... He's a pretty big time coyote hunter, that has gone to the yote tournaments in southern oregon. His weapons of choice are his 12 gauge for up close and personal (he's had a yote sniff the back of his hand, while calling), .223Rem AR15 and his RAR 22WMR...

I agree. The 17 HMR just doesn't have the oomph to reliably take coyotes.

We've done a lot of cartridge talk, but lets talk rifles. The AR platform has become pretty popular, especially in places where multiples are more likely. They also give you the faster follow up shot. If going AR, I'd use a lightweight barrel and free floating handguard. Barrel length probably doesn't matter much as long as it handles well. I'm not a fan of heavy barrels anymore on coyote rifles.

I still prefer bolt actions over ARs because I really dont like the "clang" of the bolt going home when I'm trying to be quiet. I like a rifle to balance on the front action screw. An azz heavy rifle is not my preference. The Tikka T3 balances well with weight savings in the action/bottom "metal" vs the barrel.

We've done a lot of cartridge talk, but lets talk rifles. The AR platform has become pretty popular, especially in places where multiples are more likely. They also give you the faster follow up shot. If going AR, I'd use a lightweight barrel and free floating handguard. Barrel length probably doesn't matter much as long as it handles well. I'm not a fan of heavy barrels anymore on coyote rifles.

I still prefer bolt actions over ARs because I really dont like the "clang" of the bolt going home when I'm trying to be quiet. I like a rifle to balance on the front action screw. An azz heavy rifle is not my preference. The Tikka T3 balances well with weight savings in the action/bottom "metal" vs the barrel.

I always like and appreciate your posts!!!! Always top notch advice and a lot of good experience. Just wanted to say thanks!!

I hear good things about the 204 Ruger.
I had heard this too, from our Aussie hunter, and from a colleague. Been keeping my eye out for one.
Now, I'm the fortunate bast'rd who had the time to go meet and buy a Tikka 204 Ruger. On the way home, I stopped in at St. Vincent de Paul and they had a Weaver Kaspa, 3-9x40 (never mounted) for - get this - $23 !!
I'll post a range report after I have the time to get to the range.

Definitely true.

I've only used 223/556.

I have a newer 17 that I'd love to try it with yotes, but I'd still probably end up using my 223.

In Nevada I'd say no way to 17 as they never come within 100 yards.

Up here I've had them come within 50 yards on clearcuts.

Here are some of my bolt action varmint rifles that technically would meet your requirements. Top is a Ruger .17 HMR - a little marginal. Next is a Cooper .20 VarTarg which is a great round but no factory ammo available. Next is a Wby Vanguard .223 and below that a Remington model 700 .223. Lots of other options, and if I owned another it would be a Tikka.

.223 is probably the best caliber for all around versatility. 40 grain up through 55 or more grains covers all your hunting needs. There are other great options like the .22-250 and .204 Ruger too. Have fun selecting and shooting whatever you buy.

DSC_1767.JPG

I always like and appreciate your posts!!!! Always top notch advice and a lot of good experience. Just wanted to say thanks!!

There is a lot to gain from the people on here. I appreciate you too.

I think sometimes "perfect" is the evil of the good. We miss the good looking for internet firearm forum utopia. Its nice to have a thread about actual guns!

IMO Rimfire doesn't have the poop to really be effective, while it may do the job, the velocity and hydrostatic shock is something that it lacks when compared to the velocity of centerfire cartridges. Energy=mass(x)velocity^2. The ^2 squared is where you really get the benefit.

Ruger American Ranch 5.56, will almost stack them hole for hole, short 16.125" barrel, threaded, can take AR Magazines, shoots 5.56 and .223, light weight, portable, easy to maneuver. A little Mothers on the bolt will smooth it out really quick so it doesn't make the trademark zzzzzziiiippppp sound. I have a load that's 2450fps and I'll put almost all at 100y that will cover with a half dollar if I do my part.

Fairly inexpensive compared to other options in the same family.

Just looks good with a can.can.can.

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 9.48.48 PM.png

Last Edited:
17hmr 22mag 223 204 are the common ones and as stated above the ruger ranch rifles are nice handi and good price they also offer the predator line to longer barrel and few different calibers also a can is super nice to have 2

I do most Varmint control with ether a .223 bolt action, or a Winchester 70 in .243. For the longer shots, especially on yoties, the .243 is really a game apart! Any big pests and the Husquvarna 6.5X55 Swede gets the job done and is better still! Some of my shots can be over 600 meters, from a prone shooting blanket and pack, not to bad, even the old 1/9 twist .223 can handle it, but the yoties really need something bigger! If I were to buy another varmint rifle, i would choose a Tikka hands down, and would have it in the 6.5X55! Its a bit much fot the smaller critters, but there is such a wide range of options for loading for it, its almost cheating!:)

I do most Varmint control with ether a .223 bolt action, or a Winchester 70 in .243. For the longer shots, especially on yoties, the .243 is really a game apart! Any big pests and the Husquvarna 6.5X55 Swede gets the job done and is better still! Some of my shots can be over 600 meters, from a prone shooting blanket and pack, not to bad, even the old 1/9 twist .223 can handle it, but the yoties really need something bigger! If I were to buy another varmint rifle, i would choose a Tikka hands down, and would have it in the 6.5X55! Its a bit much fot the smaller critters, but there is such a wide range of options for loading for it, its almost cheating!:)

Apparently my OP wasn't that far off.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads