JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm passing this info along, so people are aware of how messed up USPS shipping is, and what a frustrating experience it can be if and when things go sideways.
I've shipped a number of items (many of them antique guns) via USPS in the past. Occasionally had small issues, but overall I was pleased with the way it went. Then on Sept. 1st I sold an antique Ballard rifle to a friend, and took it to USPS to be delivered. Packed it up as usual with the buttstock removed, and sent it off Priority Mail, insured. Supposed to be there in 4 days, but on the 5th day I checked tracking and it said, "Arriving late, still in transit". And that's the same thing it said for 3 weeks!
After trying to find out where the package was, and getting no answers, I filed a claim with USPS. They in turn denied my claim stating they'd send a letter of explanation why it was denied. Guess that letter is somewhere with the gun, because 3 weeks later I still didn't have it! I attempted to file an appeal, but the system wont allow that unless you know why the claim was denied! So I called customer service and the lady there tried to figure out where my package was, but couldn't. She tried to figure out why my claim was denied, but couldn't.
I finally contacted the office of my congressman, and an aide sent me an email the next day asking for the tracking number. He contacted me and said USPS denied the claim because I needed to attach a credit card payment, sales receipt, or both sides of a canceled check. So I filed the appeal, and got copies of the canceled check, and attached them to the appeal. A week or so later I got a letter stating my claim appeal was denied again! I went to the USPS web site, and the site said my claim was approved?
So after almost 2 months it appears they may be paying my claim, but still not positive? And they for whatever reason shorted me on my shipping cost in the payment? They gave me the amount of the rifle, but of course deducted the insurance fee. But for some reason they also didn't pay the $15 oversized package fee too? I understand the insurance, but the shipping and oversized fee should have been refunded.
I of course haven't seen a check yet, and if it's really coming, it may be several weeks, IF they don't lose it in the mail! Only sure thing is it's been a frustrating, and impossible issue dealing with USPS, and I wont ever ship an antique gun through them again. They do whatever they can to deny your claim and frustrate you in hopes you'll give up.

1666310487263.png

1666310438737.png

Aloha, Mark

When things go south with any of the common couriers, they REALLY go south. I've been though the ringer with all of them.

A Postal Service employee somewhere in the chain snagged himself a nice rifle, it sounds like. Hope he dies a slow, painful death from pancreatic, liver, bladder and colon cancer.

I'm passing this info along, so people are aware of how messed up USPS shipping is, and what a frustrating experience it can be if and when things go sideways.
I've shipped a number of items (many of them antique guns) via USPS in the past. Occasionally had small issues, but overall I was pleased with the way it went. Then on Sept. 1st I sold an antique Ballard rifle to a friend, and took it to USPS to be delivered. Packed it up as usual with the buttstock removed, and sent it off Priority Mail, insured. Supposed to be there in 4 days, but on the 5th day I checked tracking and it said, "Arriving late, still in transit". And that's the same thing it said for 3 weeks!
After trying to find out where the package was, and getting no answers, I filed a claim with USPS. They in turn denied my claim stating they'd send a letter of explanation why it was denied. Guess that letter is somewhere with the gun, because 3 weeks later I still didn't have it! I attempted to file an appeal, but the system wont allow that unless you know why the claim was denied! So I called customer service and the lady there tried to figure out where my package was, but couldn't. She tried to figure out why my claim was denied, but couldn't.
I finally contacted the office of my congressman, and an aide sent me an email the next day asking for the tracking number. He contacted me and said USPS denied the claim because I needed to attach a credit card payment, sales receipt, or both sides of a canceled check. So I filed the appeal, and got copies of the canceled check, and attached them to the appeal. A week or so later I got a letter stating my claim appeal was denied again! I went to the USPS web site, and the site said my claim was approved?
So after almost 2 months it appears they may be paying my claim, but still not positive? And they for whatever reason shorted me on my shipping cost in the payment? They gave me the amount of the rifle, but of course deducted the insurance fee. But for some reason they also didn't pay the $15 oversized package fee too? I understand the insurance, but the shipping and oversized fee should have been refunded.
I of course haven't seen a check yet, and if it's really coming, it may be several weeks, IF they don't lose it in the mail! Only sure thing is it's been a frustrating, and impossible issue dealing with USPS, and I wont ever ship an antique gun through them again. They do whatever they can to deny your claim and frustrate you in hopes you'll give up.
Ups is just as bad. They dropped my vintage shotgun and broke the stock. I had insurance but they would not pay. The dealer said they deny 100% of claims and you have to take them to court to get any money. Sucks.

They are freaking aweful here in Portland. We have also experienced the mysterious three weeks of "Arriving late, still in transit" so many times.

Even with Amazon, or international carriers, they'll often hand the last mile of a delivery to USPS, so you can't avoid it, and you have to wait for the primary carrier to give up and acknowledge that your stuff fell into a black hole.

It's NEVER too soon!!

NEVER!! :s0118:
I don't know....There's an emotional attachment to these old, historic rifles. Thinking of a classic antique like that in hands of a commo cretin. *shudder* That has no feeling for what it is, or represents. Could of waited awhile to throw the Seinfeld memes in I think. A mourning period of sorts.

Or maybe I'm just a fricken Weirdo? o_O

I don't know....There's an emotional attachment to these old, historic rifles. Thinking of a classic antique like that in hands of a commo cretin. *shudder* That has no feeling for what it is, or represents. Could of waited awhile to throw the Seinfeld memes in I think. A mourning period of sorts.

Or maybe I'm just a fricken Weirdo? o_O

I was actually using an ancient human technique of agreeing with you by being contrary to you…. and yes, you're a weirdo.

But, that's why I like you. ;)

I don't know....There's an emotional attachment to these old, historic rifles. Thinking of a classic antique like that in hands of a commo cretin. *shudder* That has no feeling for what it is, or represents.
Just think, the thief is probably some guy named Bubba, with a hacksaw and a can of Krylon…

I failed to find any humor in it myself. But I'm a bit upset, so it wasn't funny to me.
I'm with ya' I don't understand how something like an encased for shipping rifle gets lost. We're not talking about the ugly sweater you ship your father-in-law for Christmas here.

Ups is just as bad. They dropped my vintage shotgun and broke the stock. I had insurance but they would not pay. The dealer said they deny 100% of claims and you have to take them to court to get any money. Sucks.
I've had losses due to damage or theft with every carrier; USPS, UPS, and FedEx. Fortunately for me all were long ago, when it was simpler to file a claim, and they actually paid off. And some were losses headed to me, so the sellers had to deal with the shipper.
I had one previous loss with USPS about 8 yrs. ago when I sold an old 1960's Marlin banner to a guy back East. I sent it in it's original round cardboard tube, and a month later he still hadn't gotten it. I contacted my local USPS station, and the gal there ran a check and told me they'd attempted delivery 2 times. I called the buyer who told me he'd never gotten a yellow slip of an attempted delivery. I filed a claim, and was paid within a week! Amazing fast payment back then!
One year later the banner was returned to my house, and marked "not deliverable". I called the buyer and asked if he still wanted it, and he did. So he had me send it to the police station where he worked instead of his house. I'm still puzzled where it sat for a year without being noticed? Guessing the round tube rolled under a counter or machine, and took that long to be discovered.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top