JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have an fn 45 usg, fine pistol. I do find the fn to be a bit heavy when fully loaded. If I find myself going into an autisic frenzy, I may need the extra ammo. It's so much harder to hit a target in such a state.

I do believe that the first two or three rounds are the ones that count, and that a handgun only buys you enough time to bring a long gun into play. Our armed forces only fight in groups, with long guns as primary weapons.The idea of a lone gunman (with a pistol) going face to face with a group of combatants is ludicrous, perpeptuated by popular fiction and entertainment. In such a situation a handgun would be last weapon regardless of capacity that anyone would want.

I personally consider a pistol to be a weapon of last resort in a combat situation. But, if you are going to pick one the 1911 is an excellent choice, I would rather have one in a last ditch effort than any other.

Of course in the time honored tradition of the military pistol, when used to execute traitors, deserters and spies the 1911 (or any pistol) will work just fine.

I haven't personally held the FN 45, so I don't know how it feels in hand. I know that a 1911 feels awesome. But I've never been in combat. However, I have heard from a friend that served as infantry on frontline patrols that many soldiers in his squad didn't even carry the m9 because having to use it means your primary weapon is out of action, and they would rather use the weight of m9+ammo to carry more 5.56ammo.

With that in mind, I figured if you're resorting to your sidearm, your AR is out of ammo or you had an untimely reload. My reasoning is not that a lone soldier is going to single handidly win the day, but that more rounds = more suppression to get your rifle in play. Every magazine is more weight. 30 rounds in 2 mags is a lot less weight overall than 28 rounds in 4 mags.

I haven't personally held the FN 45, so I don't know how it feels in hand. I know that a 1911 feels awesome. But I've never been in combat. However, I have heard from a friend that served as infantry on frontline patrols that many soldiers in his squad didn't even carry the m9 because having to use it means your primary weapon is out of action, and they would rather use the weight of m9+ammo to carry more 5.56ammo.

With that in mind, I figured if you're resorting to your sidearm, your AR is out of ammo or you had an untimely reload. My reasoning is not that a lone soldier is going to single handidly win the day, but that more rounds = more suppression to get your rifle in play. Every magazine is more weight. 30 rounds in 2 mags is a lot less weight overall than 28 rounds in 4 mags.

Your making a huge assumption the reason your going to a side arm is your out of ammunition. However what about mechanical failure of your battle rifle? Granted I have never been in combat either but venturing into it with no back up seems pretty dumb. I guess you could throw the extra mags at the bad guys, bit frankly I would prefer the contents have more velocity then my arm could provide.

There are also some places, where your battle rifle is too big to use, such as in a vehicle or some narrow hallways in some of the wonderful places we have been to. I'd much rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it, referring to my sidearm. And I have been in combat..,

Haji doesn't wear body armor...

And haji don't surf either ahahahahah

images.jpg

We carried 1911's, but I'm old corps. I can't believe our military ever got away from providing our fighting men and women with American made weapons. What a joke!

There are also some places, where your battle rifle is too big to use, such as in a vehicle or some narrow hallways in some of the wonderful places we have been to. I'd much rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it, referring to my sidearm. And I have been in combat..,

This problem has been overcome previously. If you are at to much risk entering an environment, blow it up.

This problem has been overcome previously. If you are at to much risk entering an environment, blow it up.

ROE are a pain, but they do have to be followed unless you want to end up in jail to be made the example. Blowing up things is fine out in the open, but it tends to be frowned upon in densely populated areas with women and children around.

There is always a tactical alternative, while blowing bubblegum up may be my prefered option, there are always others. Placing youself and your companions in a position where you are at a disadvantage, and at greater risk, may require an examination of certain decision making paradigms.

Whatever happened to "Oops, what happened?" or the ever popular,"I dunno, it just went off", or "I just work here, ask the guy in charge"

As callous as it may sound, to paraphrase Winston Churchill, "there are no civilians in wartime"

We carried 1911's, but I'm old corps. I can't believe our military ever got away from providing our fighting men and women with American made weapons. What a joke!

I 100% agree. I am a Glock fan, no doubt about it! I carry a Glock because of personal preference. However the industries that our countries military decides to support on mass qauntities and use to arm our DOD with had better damn well be made in the United States! It disgusted me that for years our primary service weapon came from an Italian manufacturer. In my eyes replacing it with one from Austria, no matter how much better of a weapon, is not the right answer.
For the same reason formations of soldiers aren't seen carrying AK-47s, the 1911 or some other US made sidearm needs to come back, and for more than just MARSOC.

As a soldier I can tell you that when I deploy, I like to feel like I'm fighting and risking my safety for MY country, not some other nation's. It makes me feel proud knowing I'm able to do my job using equipment made in the country I'm overseas representing. The first time I ever drew an M9 from the arms room I remember thinking to myself how disgusted my Grandfather who fought in Anzio and was wounded in Rimini would have felt knowing I was drawing an Italian made sidearm.

My rant might have drifted from the "justification of needing a sidearm" back-and-forth that was going on, but it's time people woke up and took a step back and saw the direction our country is heading and aknowledged when a effort is made to right some wrongs (in this case supporting US industry) and supported that effort rather then gripe about penny-anny BS like external hammers and safetys!

I 100% agree. I am a Glock fan, no doubt about it! I carry a Glock because of personal preference. However the industries that our countries military decides to support on mass qauntities and use to arm our DOD with had better damn well be made in the United States! It disgusted me that for years our primary service weapon came from an Italian manufacturer. In my eyes replacing it with one from Austria, no matter how much better of a weapon, is not the right answer.
For the same reason formations of soldiers aren't seen carrying AK-47s, the 1911 or some other US made sidearm needs to come back, and for more than just MARSOC.

As a soldier I can tell you that when I deploy, I like to feel like I'm fighting and risking my safety for MY country, not some other nation's. It makes me feel proud knowing I'm able to do my job using equipment made in the country I'm overseas representing. The first time I ever drew an M9 from the arms room I remember thinking to myself how disgusted my Grandfather who fought in Anzio and was wounded in Rimini would have felt knowing I was drawing an Italian made sidearm.

My rant might have drifted from the "justification of needing a sidearm" back-and-forth that was going on, but it's time people woke up and took a step back and saw the direction our country is heading and aknowledged when a effort is made to right some wrongs (in this case supporting US industry) and supported that effort rather then gripe about penny-anny BS like external hammers and safetys!

Couldn't have said it better myself! Thank you, fellow brother in arms

Poly lovers just need to be content with having a majority of the LE market and stop being all butt-hurt about the 1911 being chosen for the USMC. Get over it and move on.

that pistol sure looks good! im glad they put in an order to an AMERICAN company.when my tax dollars get spent on AMERICAN made products it makes me fell all warm and fuzzy.:drink:

I don't believe that a single-action autoloader (1911) is a good choice as a combat pistol "for the masses"...It's just too easy to "mess up" during the stress of combat, unless the troops are VERY well trained in its' use and MOA. I would rather see our troops armed with a Smith & Wesson model 4506 in .45 auto.

The 1911 is outdated as a fighting pistol, yes im sure many of you are butthurt now so get over it kids. My 1911 sits in the safe now, all I carry is G19.

Apparently the USMC sees it differently than you.

1911 fan here (not a fan of Glocks) and your opinion doesn't cause my butt to hurt. I would take my TRP over a Glock any day.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top