JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This falls under, give teachers guns. Just another adult with a gun or do teachers start wearing badges too? Old Ms Johnson could now be a school shooter.

It depends. Do what you can, even if it's just helping people get away from the danger. If you take on the responsibility of shooting people, you better be sure you know who you are shooting because even with all the videos and accolades, the Tennessee cops...could have done better.
I think if a teacher wants to carry for self defense they should be able to and how the school approves them for that is between the school and their employees but I think that should be a choice and I agree they should also accept that risk.
I'm not for pushing teachers to be armed, again, if they want that should be their right for self defense. I am for all schools should have uniformed armed men and women, identifiable uniformed professionals.
but we won't get that in Oregon, they (you know who) just shot down 7 bills to make our schools more safe.

Because most people dont think thru their survivalist SHTF fantasies. Outside of dispersed camping in remote places a rifle in an urban environment is more of a liability for theft.
because if SHTF then they might want to use their firearm.... it's their right if they want to have and carry their firearm. Just because you have the right to carry it and have it doesn't mean you're free of the consequences not just of the laws but the consequences of just natural logic. Same argument can be made why do people have 1000hp cars when we're driving in traffic red light to red light stop sign to stop sign ???? you have the right to own that car and just because you have that right doesn't mean you'll be able to turn the road into a race track one because of laws and 2 because its just not realisitic because there are other traffic around you.

because if SHTF then they might want to use their firearm.... it's their right if they want to have and carry their firearm. Just because you have the right to carry it and have it doesn't mean you're free of the consequences not just of the laws but the consequences of just natural logic. Same argument can be made why do people have 1000hp cars when we're driving in traffic red light to red light stop sign to stop sign ???? you have the right to own that car and just because you have that right doesn't mean you'll be able to turn the road into a race track one because of laws and 2 because its just not realisitic because there are other traffic around you.
Hopefully nothing about my opinion on using or storing rifles in public suggests I dont support the right to do so.

Now Id like to know an urban SHTF situation where a rifle will be a better tool than a concealed pistol?

Hopefully nothing about my opinion on using or storing rifles in public suggests I dont support the right to do so.

Now Id like to know an urban SHTF situation where a rifle will be a better tool than a concealed pistol?
I think the scenarios are few but I don't think it's unreasonable to maintain a higher level of capability. I think the value of a PDW is way under-rated. Think 9mm or 10mm carbine or 300blk. Folded stock with a stowed length under 15". Can be concealed under a jacket or in a backpack for the cost of a couple of pounds. Ammunition (magazine?) commonality with your handgun would be a big plus for the sake of logistics but unnecessary. It's a stop gap between the rifle and the handgun and I think the value is immense and far more practical an idea than deciding to strap a rifle to your back in a diminishing rule of law scenario in a pre-apocolyptic collapse fantasy.

There's been a lot of conjecture on whether something like this is possible, specifically if we can steer a passing asteroid into earth's gravitational field and suspend it in orbit to mine it for precious resources. I saw a scientist give a lecture on it at university once. It's a fascinating concept, but probably a long way from actualization for now.

Am I legally allowed to take the rifle into the school to address the threat?
Who gives a chit? It's your kid in there, go in like a pissed off grizzly and take care of business. What happens later is for a jury to decide.

I think the scenarios are few but I don't think it's unreasonable to maintain a higher level of capability. I think the value of a PDW is way under-rated.
This is the tricky part. In any attack anyone would be better off with a battle rifle than a CCW. But we also know that doesnt mean we should carry a rifle everywhere in case were mugged. Im all for the idea just for me the higher risk of theft outweighs any practicality in carrying or stowing a longarm in public urban environments.

I think if a teacher wants to carry for self defense they should be able to and how the school approves them for that is between the school and their employees but I think that should be a choice and I agree they should also accept that risk.
I'm not for pushing teachers to be armed, again, if they want that should be their right for self defense. I am for all schools should have uniformed armed men and women, identifiable uniformed professionals.
but we won't get that in Oregon, they (you know who) just shot down 7 bills to make our schools more safe.
One of the few proven targets is schools. Normally high school where some current or recent male underachieving student seeks revenge. The last few examples don't follow that and attack younger and younger innocent children. But unprotected school are still the target.

Odds are, unless you are truly rural AND have knowledge of the school, local LEO will be better trained and informed than you. But there could be times when a citizen will be the 1st responder because teachers refuse to defend their students over ideology. This non public school in Tennessee, seemed to be prepared for normal crazy but not 3 gun Sally. As my drill instructor said, you can be prepared but you can never be ready.

... There's a whole cottage industry around strapping a rifle into your car "just in case." ...
Truck guns don't have to be rifles. Any of mine stay in the single-pull-to-open pack on the seat next to me or in arms reach. They never are left in the car unattended. It takes just a second to throw the stealth sling pack over your shoulder and take it with you. The 10.5" .223 brn-180 shown below Fe can be fired with stock folded which can be handy in a vehicle and if needed you can deploy stock. Also numerous PCCs can be truck guns.

Whether confronted by a psycho while you are in the car (of which there are numerous reports in Pdx daily). A group of thugs attacking you (again happens a lot in Portland), armed carjackings (I have witnessed three attempted armed car jackings here), rioters, antifa, and other situations a handy truck gun can be a much better option than just a pistol. Imo if you do it right they take about the same time to deploy as your edc.

Small PCCs or whatever you want to call them examples:

BBCCF57B-34EB-4C74-8892-47CED2BFE6BD.jpeg

D98DDC24-BB6E-47C5-91EA-763B4492696B.jpeg

Last Edited:
I think the scenarios are few but I don't think it's unreasonable to maintain a higher level of capability. I think the value of a PDW is way under-rated. Think 9mm or 10mm carbine or 300blk. Folded stock with a stowed length under 15". Can be concealed under a jacket or in a backpack for the cost of a couple of pounds. Ammunition (magazine?) commonality with your handgun would be a big plus for the sake of logistics but unnecessary. It's a stop gap between the rifle and the handgun and I think the value is immense and far more practical an idea than deciding to strap a rifle to your back in a diminishing rule of law scenario in a pre-apocolyptic collapse fantasy.
Oh yeah, I'd prefer to have my 7.5" 300 blk out for SHTF than just my pistols.

There are already incidents where people have experienced/witnessed an attack happening at a school/workplace/mall and used their privately owned firearm to stop the attacker.

There are already incidents where people had to go out to their car to get it and come back and respond.

It's possible.

The issue for the OP is the time between response and police. Because in an active shooter situation, unless you were already engaging when it started, and it ended and you put your gun away before police got there, if police response is quick enough, they may see you and drop you as the perceived threat (this has happened before).

Generally it is best to have the tools you need on you so if they are necessary, you don't need to go to the car for them and back into somewhere. This is why practicing to engage people at longer distances with pistols may be a benefit.

I don't keep a rifle in my car on a regular basis, but I do practice shooting longer distances with my pistol.

The other thing to consider is that, not being an LEO you have no qualified immunity. Everyone and anyone can sue you because of your involvement in whatever outcome there may be as a result of you intervening. During a true self defense scenario, that won't matter at all, but when you involve yourself willingly in a situation that you were safely away from previously, it would/could. This isn't to say that we should just let evil stand unmet, but it's a factor to consider.

I think what you're describing is a good way to get shot, or die the hero while branded the villain. I don't think you're getting out of that scenario unharmed no matter how you slice it. Definitely not worth it for a store full of strangers. For your own kid.......

Agree with the big question, how much are you willing to lose to attempt to save a non family member? But what percentage of these loonies actually fight back?

When faced with armed opposition they shoot themselves or give up (too many are in jail), or get shot in the face. The two examples I recall when they killed police, the shooter died in burning buildings 🙄. Generally, the presence of armed opposition is enough to end or stop a mass event...if you want to be the one to risk it. Malls seem to work in the good guys favor. The one armed church were Jonny on the spot. That guy was blasted right there next to the offering plate.

Back to the point. Since most (99.99%) of these things happen outside of the home, a rifle isn't a bad idea. But since most people don't plan to be involved and don't prefer to even EDC full sized handguns, it's not practical.

I wish it was practical. For me I have kids, school functions, social events, office job, dinner parties where shielding a full size from printing or being bumped is a no recovery situation.
I carry a full size gun all day. All day at work. I'm not going to list the "places" I go while carrying but if I were to get caught there would be serious consequences.

AIWB is my best friend. Rarely does my midsection ever get bumped by a random person and I don't print at all.

The gun I currently am carrying is almost the length a a Glock 34.

I'm not going to carry a gun I can't effectively fight with. So it's always a full frame pistol for me unless I'm in formal clothing.

I carry a 4" 1911 or a 92G Compact. The 92 is virtually the same length as the G17, with the 1911 being a hair shorter. When out camping, the government model usually gets the IWB due to the different finish.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews