JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This idea might seem a little out there but consider that a rifled choke tube is just a tube with rifling, as is a pistol barrel.

My 410 barrel is a full choke barrel and measures out at about .395. I was looking at my M&P pistol barrel yesterday and was thinking that it could be used as a chamber adapter. But this morning I was thinking that, instead of using it at the breech end of the barrel, why couldn't it be attached to the muzzle end. It would serve as a rifled choke tube. One way to test it would be to turn the muzzle end of the barrel down so it fit snugly into chamber of M&P barrel. Weld it on and shoot it. If it didn't work out I could cut off the 410 barrel just behind the weld and now I have my shotgun back minus a couple of inches of barrel. I was want to get rid of the choked portion of the barrel anyways so it wouldn't be a big deal.

If it worked I would have to figure out cartridge style loads and projectiles that didn't use wads, cards, etc. Just powder and projectiles. The 410 barrel should swage down the projectiles to a diameter safe to enter the 40 S&W barrel and the riflng should impart some rotation on the projectiles like a rifled choke tube would?

Okay, even I think this is out there......
Sounds like fun.
Personally, I would make a rifling swaging insert to force through the muzzle from the breech end. Make that choke work for you!
I have made one for a Crosman 760-worked great. You'll have to grind it by hand, from a drill bit shank. Better idea.
And yes, at that point I do believe you have made a rifle.

Joe

Okay, even I think this is out there......
Sounds like fun.
Personally, I would make a rifling swaging insert to force through the muzzle from the breech end. Make that choke work for you!
I have made one for a Crosman 760-worked great. You'll have to grind it by hand, from a drill bit shank. Better idea.
And yes, at that point I do believe you have made a rifle.

Joe
I am interested have you seen any videos that demonstrate this process?

I am interested have you seen any videos that demonstrate this process?
Nope.
I just used the insert to "swage" grooves into the bore, and the trailing shank to "iron" out the displaced/raised metal back to bore size. It left a groove that pellet skirts could form in to when fired. The rate of twist ended up higher than intended, looks about 7:1, but works great.
The 760 smoothbore could not put 8 of 10 shots on a sheet of paper at 50'-after, it could hit bottle caps every shot. Advils at 20' were doable.

Joe

Nope.
I just used the insert to "swage" grooves into the bore, and the trailing shank to "iron" out the displaced/raised metal back to bore size. It left a groove that pellet skirts could form in to when fired. The rate of twist ended up higher than intended, looks about 7:1, but works great.
The 760 smoothbore could not put 8 of 10 shots on a sheet of paper at 50'-after, it could hit bottle caps every shot. Advils at 20' were doable.

Joe
That's awesome.

It seems that it is still a shotgun because it uses shotgun shells, even if fully rifled.

...A BATFE ruling was obtained stating that a firearm designed to fire shotgun shells that was converted to fire shotgun slugs with the addition of a rifled barrel was still a shotgun....

It seems that it is still a shotgun because it uses shotgun shells, even if fully rifled.

...A BATFE ruling was obtained stating that a firearm designed to fire shotgun shells that was converted to fire shotgun slugs with the addition of a rifled barrel was still a shotgun....
Good point but what if I am using centerfire brass with standard type loads?

Yeah, I've never understood that, but had heard of it - maybe read it.

Now my question is, does this apply equally to a Shockwave?? Probably not.

New candidate for rifled choke. Factory Glock 22 barrel. It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, who are we kidding, it looks rediculous. The barrel won't fit in chamber but the chamber could be welded right to the end of the barrel. A cleaning rod could be used to make sure the bores both line up. The rifling and chamber edge inside the 40 barrel could be blended to eliminate potential of bullet being shaved as it's passing through chamber into rifling.

20220804_100546.jpg

20220804_100643.jpg

20220804_100651.jpg

Edit: There is enough barrel in front of the bead sight that if it didn't work it could be cut off and I would still have my bead.

New candidate for rifled choke. Factory Glock 22 barrel. It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, who are we kidding, it looks rediculous. The barrel won't fit in chamber but the chamber could be welded right to the end of the barrel. A cleaning rod could be used to make sure the bores both line up. The rifling and chamber edge inside the 40 barrel could be blended to eliminate potential of bullet being shaved as it's passing through chamber into rifling.

View attachment 1252018

View attachment 1252017

View attachment 1252016

Edit: There is enough barrel in front of the bead sight that if it didn't work it could be cut off and I would still have my bead.
Scrap the factory Glock barrel idea or any other stainless barrel. I will need to find a cheapo steel barrel to make welding less complicated.

That's why Circuit judges are chambered in 45 colt, that and the no revolving shotgun thing that the AFT just made up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top