JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was at my LGS the other day and a local NFA dealer was visiting, he asked if I'd seen the new silencers that so and so (don't remember the name of well known manufacture) is selling. When I responded no he ran back to his shop and returned with one for show and tell.

So... he showed me a very well constructed modular 3d printed metal suppresser. Yes 3d printed. Nice piece.

Printed on a hobby printer? Um, no, not a chance, none the less it was 3d printed. A few short years ago that could not have been printed and now 3d printers are being used for aerospace parts that can not be created on a mill. Times are a changing.
That's what "I'm" waitin for... end user desktop 3D printers squirtin metal!! The head explodes thinkin 'bout what a guy could do with one of those.. hu.✌️

That's what "I'm" waitin for... end user desktop 3D printers squirtin metal!! The head explodes thinkin 'bout what a guy could do with one of those.. hu.✌️
I'm eyeballing one. I wouldn't hold your breath on them coming down to average hobbyist pricing anytime soon though. The lasers alone are stupid expensive. Consumables are also pretty high.

Was at my LGS the other day and a local NFA dealer was visiting, he asked if I'd seen the new silencers that so and so (don't remember the name of well known manufacture) is selling. When I responded no he ran back to his shop and returned with one for show and tell.

So... he showed me a very well constructed modular 3d printed metal suppresser. Yes 3d printed. Nice piece.

Printed on a hobby printer? Um, no, not a chance, none the less it was 3d printed. A few short years ago that could not have been printed and now 3d printers are being used for aerospace parts that can not be created on a mill. Times are a changing.
The best part is that tech that's a big deal now will soon be cheaper, and cheaper, and cheaper, till a lot of people can afford it. Amazing how fast tech moves now.

The best part is that tech that's a big deal now will soon be cheaper, and cheaper, and cheaper, till a lot of people can afford it. Amazing how fast tech moves now.
Very true. I know they have practical value to some as they are now, but they aren't yet practical or capable of doing what I would ultimately want to have one for. I've purchased and use a couple 3D printed items, but so far, I haven't been kicking myself thinking, "Oh man! If I had just spent that $500 on a printer, and another $200 on upgrades, used up buckets of filaments and spent countless hours learning how to use it properly... I coulda just printed that piece myself for 50 cents instead of paying someone $12 to print it and ship it to me~! I dunno what I was thinking!!" 🤣

As it is, I don't see value is investing in them at the moment and purchasing each new generation until the technology matures to where it's usable for my own intents and purposes.

The time will come though when they can... and I hope I'm around to see it and put one to use. ;)

So what you''re saying is that 3D printing is currently at the level that a frame will match the reliability and longevity of an OEM polycarbonate frame... right?

From my perspective, it seems folks that are heavy into 3D printing like to "believe" and almost cult like defend printed frames as just as good, if not better, than any OEM frame on the market. I "believe" they have an extreme bias and facts don't stack up to support any of those claims, yet.

I have also handled and inspected several of them and have been very impressed, but anything close to what I would feel comfortable carrying as an EDC SD firearm... they most definately are not.

I "would" agree that you can certainly print a frame that will allow fairly reliable firing... for awhile... but accuracy leaves a lot to be desired and frame failure seems almost guaranteed in fairly short order.

I completely get that you can simply print out a replacement frame whenever you want. That's kind of moot when you actually need your firearm, it suddenly fails on you and it won't matter that you can put another one together in another day or twos time... because you won't need it then.. you need it NOW!

Where I think the 2 sides do not meet though is in the expectations when we are taking about if 3D printing "is there yet" or not. 3D enthusists seem to base that on the ability to print and produce a firearm that will indeed fire. The "other side" bases it on comparing them to the accuracy and reliability of the firearm they are trying to replicate. Where frames will typcially outlast their own barrels and withstand a vastly higher degree of abuse without any failure of any kind.

So I guess both sides of the coin are accurate from their own perspectives, but kinda moot when they judging by different standards.

I would love to get into 3D printing and truly believe it's the next evolution in PMF's... and it's certainly exciting to see the progress and what folks are doing with them these days.... but I think it's still far from the point of "press print and fire" that it will eventually become.
At the end of the day, it still takes work and is a hobby. If you're expecting press print and fire, then I understand why you view it the way you do. It's a bit of a fantasy to think it'll ever be like that for any means of making something, I just can't relate on this all or nothing mentality.

If you're expecting press print and fire, then I understand why you view it the way you do. It's a bit of a fantasy to think it'll ever be like that for any means of making something,
I would imagine... go back far enough and the very idea of writing a bunch of 1's and 0's in a line would produce a piece of plastic in any shape or size you wanted... on demand... in your own home... would have been considered a wildmans demented fantasy.

It's likely always going to take a bit more than just print and shoot.. the point being.. for people like me.. if the technology has not yet developed to the point were, after the work, you are not left with an end product comparable to an existing firearm in accuracy, durability and reliability... what's the point?

It's subjective of what constitutes what "it's there" means is all. I'm not bashing the tech in the slightest. I think it's pretty dang exciting, I love seeing the progress being made and have absolute faith that it's only a matter of time before 3D printing is commonplace and directly compareable to OEM shtuffs.

Last Edited:
I have seen a few 3D printer enthusiasts making and selling various firearm related products. I have not seen anyone selling 3D printed 80% "frames". Are the files not available? No market? Other barriers?
Print some Keltec CP33 +17 magazine extensions. There are several files readily available online but out of stock everywhere if you try to buy them.

I would imagine... go back far enough and the very idea of writing a bunch of 1's and 0's in a line would produce a piece of plastic in any shape or size you wanted... on demand... in your own home... would have been considered a wildmans demented fantasy.

It's likely always going to take a bit more than just print and shoot.. the point being.. for people like me.. if the technology has not yet developed to the point were, after the work, you are not left with an end product comparable to an existing firearm in accuracy, durability and reliability... what's the point?

It's subjective of what constitutes what "it's there" means is all. I'm not bashing the tech in the slightest. I think it's pretty dang exciting and I love seeing the progress being made!
I think the point is the fun of building. Plus the knowledge that if you ever really needed to use it beyond just sh!ts and grins, you have the skills to do so.

Personally, I've always wanted to design and manufacture firearms, so for me it's building experience that I could potentially turn into a business venture.

It's subjective of what constitutes what "it's there" means is all. I'm not bashing the tech in the slightest. I think it's pretty dang exciting, I love seeing the progress being made and have absolute faith that it's only a matter of time before 3D printing is commonplace and directly compareable to OEM shtuffs.
YEP! Tech moves very fast now. Many seem to get all kinds of exercised about this and not quite sure why. I too have no doubt it will not take long till its easy to 3D print something along the lines of the 80% frames we have now. They are certainly not print and shoot but they are so damn simple to complete literally anyone can do it. I am sure 3D will get to this point and it will be fun to see it happen. As the tech moves the price keeps dropping which will put this in reach of pretty much anyone who wants it. Should be fun to watch a lot of hair on fire panic when it does. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top