JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Details to come on Sunday. It will be sarcasm free from me.

1658916305010.png

+

1658916441694.png

=

Near the barrel Break Open AR15.

I just bought a 5-pack of those Dremel discs yesterday......not to cut up a firearm though. The EZLock feature is so much better than their previous collett system.

I just bought a 5-pack of those Dremel discs yesterday......not to cut up a firearm though. The EZLock feature is so much better than their previous collett system.
D Day has arrived, no turning back. It's either going to be a one of a kind AR upper or epic fail.

Last Edited:
I am having second thoughts, what type of glue would you recommend to fix this:)

20220729_030804.jpg

There is a surprising amount of material thickness in these BCA side charging uppers. I used up almost an 1/8th inch of the dremel metal cutting disc.

Barrel mock up

20220729_031400.jpg

20220729_031437.jpg

Wait, wait, wait!!!!
Don't cut it there, move back a bit!

Joe
Too late, I cut it last night. The BCG is locking up in the barrel fine. If you think about it they can test the headspace of a bolt and barrel with no upper being involved. I am not going to try it but I would bet $1 that a round could be fired with only a BCG and barrel and both components would survive.

The front half of the upper is solid and does not have any side to side wobble but the rear half does. It is not bad with a mag installed but I want to address that issue before firing it. My wife ordered this rail clamp from Amazon and that could be one solution to connecting the two upper halves. It would be inconvenient since it would have to be slid back and forth on the rail in order to open the chamber. A better solution will be to secure the rear half of the upper to the lower receiver in a semi-permanent fashion. I don't want to drill into my Aero lower but might be willing to ghetto up an Anderson lower.

Any other ideas on stabilizing the side to side motion of the rear upper half?

Last Edited:
Use revolver cylinder shims between the upper lug and the lower?
The shims are great idea. I also thought about installing some type of tight fitting pin in the gas tube hole on the front upper half. The pin would stick out maybe a 1/4 inch. When the barrel is raised to the closed postion the pin would engage the gas tube hole on the rear half of upper and help keep them aligned.

Front half where pin would be installed.

20220730_112910.jpg

Rear half where pin would mate up to when barrel was raised to closed position.

20220730_120949.jpg

The reason I want to reduce the slop in the rear half is so the bcg has a straight shot when it's entering the barrel extension. If the rear half is not well aligned with the front half, it could cause the bolt lugs to hit the barrel extension lugs in a way that could cause unnecessary wear on the lugs. Once the BCG is engaged the slop is irrelevant as the bolt is locked into the barrel extension.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top