JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently bought a cheap pre-owned 12ga break open Shotgun from an NWFA member. I have decided to dedicate this shotgun for shooting black powder substitute loads. I will start with using shell loads and may eventually buy one of the 209 chamber adapters that will permit me to muzzle load the shotgun. If I get adventurous, I might try a previous idea I had of using a brass hull as a primer adapter.

I have some fiber wads and plan on purchasing a 3/4" punch from the craft store to make nitro cards. I will stick with square shot loads to begin with and work my way up to try some slug loads.

Be careful of reloading plastic shotgun shells with blackpowder.
This of course can be done...and is a lot of fun.

However.....
After awhile...the plastic can get thin / weak...and .....
You could end up with a melted gooey mess in the chamber of your shotgun.
Don't ask me how I know...:eek: :D

Each shell casing to re-loaded should be checked for "thickness" and overall condition.

As a side note...
I have made breech blocks / plugs ..and converted a few single shot shotgun barrels for use as a percussion muzzle loader...
A fun project for sure...and neat to do.
Andy

Be careful of reloading plastic shotgun shells with blackpowder.
This of course can be done...and is a lot of fun.

However.....
After awhile...the plastic can get thin / weak...and .....
You could end up with a melted gooey mess in the chamber of your shotgun.
Don't ask me how I know...:eek: :D

Each shell casing to re-loaded should be checked for "thickness" and overall condition.

As a side note...
I have made breech blocks / plugs ..and converted a few single shot shotgun barrels for use as a percussion muzzle loader...
A fun project for sure...and neat to do.
Andy
I was finally able to pick up some brass hulls from midwayusa. Thanks for the tips.

I loaded four cases with RS pyrodex load. Two with .60 oz load of shot and two with 1.20 oz load of shot.
Both loads were very mild compared to Target loads I had with me.

I cut the hull on one of the Target loads and shot it as a cut shell load. It worked.

20230702_133355.jpg

20230702_133513.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews