JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I get these emails from this USCCA. They want me to sign up for their "Self-Defense Shield" Insurance Program.

I was wondering if anyone hear is a policy holder or if anyone has head anything bad about it?

<broken link removed>

I've not used them, but have read articles reviewing them and other similar programs - for the most part, they are not recommended, and are, in some cases, questioned as to whether they actually provided the coverage they claim they will. I was thinking about it too, but after looking into it, I decided against it.

I am a member,have their Shield, not too sure what it will cover, but they do call it insurance....
I am impressed with their organization, and I use their "Instructor's Toolkit" for my foundational women's firearm safety courses. Very professional powerpoint presentation with excellent textbooks for students to utilize for future resource. Every interaction I have had with them has been above satisfactory. :):)

I encourage all my students to join.
This page explains benefits to members....https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/shield/
There is a frequently asked questions collection at the bottom

I also recommend joining the Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network...they will have your back the moment you need them...Andrew Branca discusses the various forms and functions of 'Self Defense Immunity & Insurances' in this LOSD video;

Last Edited:
I have been a member since 2009 and just renewed my Shield insurance and added my wife. I really like the organization and look forward to every magazine ( 8 per year)

Monica Cowles, I would be interested in hearing more about the "Instructors Tool Kit" I have been wanting to start offering some classes here in the Willamette Valley.

Anyway thumbs Up for USCCA :s0067:

So, Monica Cowles and MilitantBEEMER, have either of you heard of folks with the insurance that have actually had to use their services in court? I've read numerous reviews and most have been negative. I'd be curious for some positive reviews that can maybe be backed by some actual examples of them covering folks satisfactorily. I was discouraged about looking into them by a number of negative reviews.

I have been a member since 2009 and just renewed my Shield insurance and added my wife. I really like the organization and look forward to every magazine ( 8 per year)

Monica Cowles, I would be interested in hearing more about the "Instructors Tool Kit" I have been wanting to start offering some classes here in the Willamette Valley.

Anyway thumbs Up for USCCA :s0067:

I love the magazine as well!! :D

https://www.usccainstructors.com/us...USCCA_Instructor&sid=fb-oct11-2013-cert-class

Here is a link to the USCCA Instructors Certification program and toolkit. Believe it or not, ;) I have been hounding them to bring their certification course to the west coast, Washington State in particular, for some time...:rolleyes: The next course is in Florida! :eek: Ack!

The USCCA has been so flexible with their materials in allowing me to personalize it and make it mine. I take out topics that I am not interested in, and add illustrative videos to make it a multi-media experience for my students. Plus, by including the well done textbook in my course, anything we do not cover during the day they can read on their own afterward. There is so much material in the presentation, that I feel I could easily take two days to go through it with my students. The day is filled to the brim! :D I love teaching this course!
:s0132:

The funny thing is that when you look for reviews and comments on USCCA, you hear a lot about their magazine and other publications, etc., but you find very little about their Shield insurance. I've been trying to locate an interview I heard with an attorney with a background in self-defense law - he had mentioned this, and other legal defense funds were not a good idea, and were so full of 'exclusions' as to be nearly useless to someone who actually needed their services. I've read the FAQ for the USCCA Shield and, since I'm not an attorney, I can't say, but I see a lot of exclusions allowing them to walk away from their insureds, should someone actually need their services.

Here is one particular section that anyone should be very aware of:

b. We will reimburse the insured up to the Criminal Defense Reimbursement Occurrence
Limit stated in the Declarations, for the reasonable and necessary costs and expenses
incurred in connection with the investigation or defense of any criminal charge or criminal
proceeding arising out of the use of a firearm that is "legally possessed" but only if
and when
:
(1) The insured enters a plea of not guilty; and
(2) The insured is acquitted of all charges; or
(3) The criminal charge or proceeding is dismissed.

The way I read that, is that, should they end up reimbursing you, it's only after you've paid, up front, for all your legal fees, which could bankrupt you, and could take months, if not longer. So, in other words, you're on the hook until the trial is done. I wonder, how much protection you're actually getting if they won't jump in and fight the whole way? You can find the full document here: <broken link removed>

I don't know how many folks read, or even understand, all the fine print their lawyers work into the plans. But if you use them, you should very well understand what limits they place on assisting you, or you could find yourself without the very protection you thought you purchased.

I'll be curious to hear what they get back to you with Monica, though I must confess, I'd rather have a resource to check them outside of themselves. Maybe that's being too negative, but in a case of something like this, I think being cautious is the best choice.

I love the magazine as well!! :D

https://www.usccainstructors.com/us...USCCA_Instructor&sid=fb-oct11-2013-cert-class

Here is a link to the USCCA Instructors Certification program and toolkit. Believe it or not, ;) I have been hounding them to bring their certification course to the west coast, Washington State in particular, for some time...:rolleyes: The next course is in Florida! :eek: Ack!

The USCCA has been so flexible with their materials in allowing me to personalize it and make it mine. I take out topics that I am not interested in, and add illustrative videos to make it a multi-media experience for my students. Plus, by including the well done textbook in my course, anything we do not cover during the day they can read on their own afterward. There is so much material in the presentation, that I feel I could easily take two days to go through it with my students. The day is filled to the brim! :D I love teaching this course!
:s0132:

Thank you Monica. I will push as well for them to have a class here in the PNW.
Did you go to Florida for certification or was it not required?
Do you have a website for your class desription and schedule?

Happy New Year!

The funny thing is that when you look for reviews and comments on USCCA, you hear a lot about their magazine and other publications, etc., but you find very little about their Shield insurance. I've been trying to locate an interview I heard with an attorney with a background in self-defense law - he had mentioned this, and other legal defense funds were not a good idea, and were so full of 'exclusions' as to be nearly useless to someone who actually needed their services. I've read the FAQ for the USCCA Shield and, since I'm not an attorney, I can't say, but I see a lot of exclusions allowing them to walk away from their insureds, should someone actually need their services.

b. We will reimburse the insured up to the Criminal Defense Reimbursement Occurrence
Limit stated in the Declarations, for the reasonable and necessary costs and expenses
incurred in connection with the investigation or defense of any criminal charge or criminal
proceeding arising out of the use of a firearm that is "legally possessed" but only if
and when
:

The way I read that, is that, should they end up reimbursing you, it's only after you've paid, up front, for all your legal fees, which could bankrupt you, and could take months, if not longer. So, in other words, you're on the hook until the trial is done. I wonder, how much protection you're actually getting if they won't jump in and fight the whole way? You can find the full document here: <broken link removed>

I don't know how many folks read, or even understand, all the fine print their lawyers work into the plans. But if you use them, you should very well understand what limits they place on assisting you, or you could find yourself without the very protection you thought you purchased.

I'll be curious to hear what they get back to you with Monica, though I must confess, I'd rather have a resource to check them outside of themselves. Maybe that's being too negative, but in a case of something like this, I think being cautious is the best choice.

I have found this to be the case for most insurance. I kno they do cover up to $10K for bond as well as approximately $10K for retainier. The rest of the cost are only reimbursed if you are found innocent. It would be good to spea with the attorney you would use and understand how they would work with you in such a situation. I am looking for a good attorney here in the Eugene area to have the discussion with. Worst case scenario I can always cancel the coverage if my attorney will not work with.
Your questions and concerns are good. They have reminded me of some of the things that need to be clarified and decided.

Happy New Year

and when
:

I once heard this newsflash a while back;
"There is no such thing as a perfect person, organization, church, job, family, community group, sports team, business...................................................etc." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ultimately, I hope I never have to use any of my 'Self Defense Insurance' options, whether it is ACLDN, USCCA, NRA Instructors' insurance, etc. but I still appreciate what they do and do my small part to support organizations that I like and ignore what I don't. o_O;):)

Thank you Monica. I will push as well for them to have a class here in the PNW.
Did you go to Florida for certification or was it not required?
Do you have a website for your class desription and schedule?

Happy New Year!

I am NOT flying to Florida. :eek:..I am a definite homebody, and like to stick to my own neck of the woods...I just squeak real loud right where I am...LOL! Their instructor program has two levels; Affiliate, and Certified. I am still an affiliate until I take their weekend long certification course......in the PNW....;);)

I do have a website and schedule, but I'm not sure I should post it here, as I was told I needed to remove that info off my public profile. :oops: I believe it is still on my private profile...or I think (hope?) it would be okay if I PM you that info...;)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :D:D

I once heard this newsflash a while back;
"There is no such thing as a perfect person, organization, church, job, family, community group, sports team, business...................................................etc." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ultimately, I hope I never have to use any of my 'Self Defense Insurance' options, whether it is ACLDN, USCCA, NRA Instructors' insurance, etc. but I still appreciate what they do and do my small part to support organizations that I like and ignore what I don't. o_O;):)

I am NOT flying to Florida. :eek:..I am a definite homebody, and like to stick to my own neck of the woods...I just squeak real loud right where I am...LOL! Their instructor program has two levels; Affiliate, and Certified. I am still an affiliate until I take their weekend long certification course......in the PNW....;);)

I do have a website and schedule, but I'm not sure I should post it here, as I was told I needed to remove that info off my public profile. :oops: I believe it is still on my private profile...or I think (hope?) it would be okay if I PM you that info...;)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :D:D

Understood. Please feel free to PM. Thank you

SO, I sent an email to Steve Fischer, director of USCCA instruction and training;

Hi Steve!

It's been a while since I contacted you, still waiting for that USCCA Instructors Certification course to make it over to the west coast, specifically, Washington State. :)

I am still going strong over here in spite of the passage of Initiative 594. I refused to give up my new little business, although I have been forced to make drastic changes in certain exercises in my class so my students and I don't become criminals...ugh! Fortunately, there are SO many great topics to cover in the Instructor's Toolkit, that I feel I can still offer the class as a worthy day of instruction, where-as many firearms instructors have simply quit teaching.

I have also been privileged with the opportunity to join several other organizations, businesses and individuals as plaintiffs in a lawsuit against this burdensome legislation; http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/saf-spearheads-federal-lawsuit-against-i-594-300014693.html Hopefully, common sense and logic will prevail over emotional hype and millions of dollars...;)

Anyway, I regularly encourage my students and other folks to join the USCCA, and have had a question come up in a forum I belong to that I would like to be able to answer;
"have either of you heard of folks with the Shield insurance that have actually had to use their services in court? I've read numerous reviews and most have been negative. I'd be curious for some positive reviews that can maybe be backed by some actual examples of them covering folks satisfactorily. I was discouraged about looking into them by a number of negative reviews."
Not sure where they read these so-called 'negative' reviews, but I would like to be able to answer them 'positively' ...;)

I look forward to hearing from you,
Happy New Year!

Just got a reply from him this morning...:)

Hi Monica!

I'm not sure when we'll be in Washington State, however we will be launching a USCCA Training Counselor program in 2015 and our goal is to have at least 1 in each state which will ease the burden of travel on my staff as well as for Instructors such as yourself that are looking to be trained closer to home.

Re: the question about "negative" reviews...

• Since we've launched the Self-Defense Shield in 2011 there have been a number of other organizations that have sprung up, and we have found that some of them have unfortunately stooped down to writing bogus reviews.
  • What I can tell you about our members who have had to use this benefit is that they do NOT want attention drawn to them, we respect that so we do not ask them to "Promote" for us. We also do not want to come across like the ambulance chasing attorneys that advertise on tv.
  • We have an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau
  • We are growing exponentially which is a testament to our product and our customer service, but as in any rapidly growing business once people are aware of you, some of them will choose to challenge you.
    • The first 5 years for LifeLock were brutal for them with people righting negative reviews, but in-spite of this, as of one year ago they had over 3 million subscribers and were still growing.

Do with this info as you see fit. As I said previously, there is no perfect organization, most of them are regularly finding out on their own what works and what doesn't, and making changes in order to stay relevant and successful. Unfortunately, these days folks are running on unprecedented level of hysteria and emotionalism and do not seem to be able to deal with imperfections inherent in every area of life....o_O

ME? I really like the USCCA. ;)

Thanks for the update Monica. I have no doubt they have some very good things to offer, and I'm glad to see they did you the honor of a personal reply, rather than some of the 'canned' replies you get from politicians, etc.

I'd still love to hear from someone that's actually used insurance like this. I can understand some folks want to keep quiet, but I'd expect there would be a few that wouldn't mind sharing their experiences. For one thing, sharing those experiences would be very helpful for the rest of those that haven't been through it - it could help with planning. Hopefully someone will come forward at some point. I have a hard time dropping money on something based on promises that I can't even confirm have ever been kept. Maybe that's a little cynical, but I really prefer to make informed choices as much as is reasonably possible.

I and the Warden (wife) are both members with the shield. I like them, I have not had a need to actually use their insurance. I have not had a auto insurance claim in a couple of decades either, but I still carry insurance.
I trust in USCCA, I hope my trust is not misplaced.

Just wanted to update this thread since I just got off the phone with a representative from USCCA. I did purchase a plan after he answered my questions.

I want to point out that USCCA is the policy holder, you are a beneficiary. So when you read the fine print keep that in mind. USCCA goes out of pocket and gets reimbursed from their insurance when you are found innocent.

Here is what he told me:

It is correct that in 2011 when the company started they would reimburse if you were found innocent and would not pay upfront. However, it is completely different in 2016 because of the growth of the organization.

This is how it was explained to me (based on platinum plan):

1. Pew pew pew...you have shot someone defending yourself or your family.

2. After calling the authorities, you call their hotline number and a critical response team member who will start the process and get the ball rolling.

3. If you are taken into custody you will have 10K instantly for Bond. This comes from the 125K criminal defense fund. Hopefully your bail is not over $100,000. I dropped the ball here and should have asked what happens if you bail is over $100,000. Will email the rep and update this response.

4. You know have 115K left in the legal defense fund after being bailed out. Your critical response team member will get attorney referrals from your area that specialize in self defense. If you have an attorney (which is prefered) then the critical response team will contact them and let them know you are in need of their services. They will also give them a 50K retainer from your defense fund.

5. You still have 65k left for your defense if you need to go to trial. If you are found guilty or plead out, your coverage ends. This leaves you open for civil lawsuits but you do not have to pay back any money that was spent on your defense. So use all 125k and dont plead out due to lack of funds.

6. If you are found innocent or charges dropped, and you get sued in civil court you will have a million dollars to use for defense and payout if the judge levies a judgement against you.

7. You family members are covered under this same plan in your house or on your property. If they carry outside the property they will need their own membership.

Anyone that wants more information can go here https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/membership/

Or speak directly to the person I spoke with. He said he would happily answer any emails or calls, which is being a sales rep is his job.

Matthew Berends
Account Executive
[email protected]
1-855-388-4073

seems like an old thread, but since it's been drawn back up...

I HATE the emails EVERY DAY.
Upgrade your plan and I'll send you this FNH.

it gets old

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top