JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"The city's police department announced the volunteers will no longer be allowed to carry handguns, even if they are licensed, while patrolling their communities."

Are they legally allowed to do that? Is there anything in the laws allowing concealed carry that permit any agency to prohibit carrying while performing specific functions?

No way I would "sign up" for neighborhood watch in that case. I may still watch the neighborhood, but certianly not officially.

Phhppttt.. Neighborhood Watch is NOT an "official organization" with binding administrative rules for the participants, and the COP has no authority to dictate what the participants can/can't carry upon themselves, beyond statutory law. I would do what I want/need to do anyway.

That being said, in context of the article and in application to my neighborhood, me and the wife were pretty active in the neighborhood watch thing but got tired of trying to drag the rest of the residents to get more organized and being one of the very few (if the only ones) to show up at the meetings where the local PD liaison took the time to attend.... Soooooo, my vigil is pretty much one or two houses to my left and right these days, then any observation I happen upon randomly.

Night before last, I rousted some dude's "groove" wearing a dark hoodie and walking through the streets at 0230 with my (hates EVERYBODY) Lab, and a million+cp spotlight... He must have been up to less than honorable intentions as he took off pretty fast, but I painted him with the spotlight for half a block before he was out of range... Flippin' meth-head "shopping" for "midnight loot", I reckon.

Was pretty funny actually, the way he "scootered" out of there like he did. :s0112:

We used to be block watch captains. Nothing was ever said about not being armed.

When I did handicapped parking patrol the rules were, "no guns" while on patrol. I had a CPL and I was free to choose to follow the rules or not. If they had "made me" all they could do was kick me off the patrol. They never did and I found a job so didn't have the time anymore.

On edit: We were deputized and sworn in and had to take the same voice stress test as a Clark Co Sheriff's officer except the only "power" we had was to write parking tickets for handicapped parking violations. As far as I know it never expires either.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Ideally, a neighborhood watch patrol would always have at least two people working as a team, and in addition to being armed they would have pepper spray or Tasers. I dont blame Zimmerman for ultimately doing what he had to do to save his life, but he put himself in a bad situation by being alone and not having any less-lethal options available to him. For liability reasons, I would not ever participate in a neighborhood watch armed and by myself.

Look for Neighborhood Watch programs to slowly go away...Exactly what the police and politicians want... That way the huddled masses turn to government for protection. "We need more police to protect us", they will cry! "We need to increase taxes to pay for it", the politician will reply. Beware, the promise of protection in exchange for money. That ploy is as old as mankind!!

Look for Neighborhood Watch programs to slowly go away...Exactly what the police and politicians want... That way the huddled masses turn to government for protection. "We need more police to protect us", they will cry! "We need to increase taxes to pay for it", the politician will reply. Beware, the promise of protection in exchange for money. That ploy is as old as mankind!!

Well said. :s0155:

Upgrade that light + fits in a belt loop. You can 'follow him' to the next town with this - High Power 13800LUM TrustFire 12x CREE XM L T6 LED Flashlight Torch Lamp Light | eBay
Nowhere near as bright as the million CP light.

Deen

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Hmm - I have a million CP light and it is just about as bright as a Xeon headlight on 'bright' in a car; the 12 T6 LED light is easily 5x that bright ... so we'll agree to disagree.

A million CP light is <$30 shipped for a reason; not that bright in comparison to the super-LEDs anymore.

In fact, might as well get a 15 million CP for $50 if you want to be in the ballpark - http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Million-...5584510?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item3cd79f61fe But even the 15 million CP will come up short against an array of 12-15x T6s and the T6s will run 5-6x longer out in the field. Much better for 'spotlighting' a specific target and you won't be making neighbors angry splashing unnecessary light everywhere.

Sorry, I know lights .... just saying' ....

I should mention that these newer LED arrays are so bright you should avoid pointing them at short (1'-15') range into someone's eyes. They can damage retinas. Aim for the chest and you light someone up like a torch, even at amazing distances. We are talking 1000' range here.

solution: remove the signs that say "neighborhood watch" with signs that say "residents of this neighborhood carry weapons". need i say more?

There is no way I would ever even consider participating in a "neighborhood watch". My neighbors had better learn to watch out for themselves. It reminds me of my time in the military when it was described as "the unwilling, doing the unnecessary for the ungrateful". I am a huge believer in self-reliance.

If I were to see someone breaking into my neighbor's house I would be happy to dial 911, but that is as far as I am willing to go. I am not going to try to take some a hole into custody or shoot it out with him or worse be shot by the police when they get there and see me with a firearm. Break into my house and I will dial 911 for you. I think Zimmerman proved how foolish this neighborhood watch crap is.

Trayvon-shooting town does 180 on gun ban

Somebody took him aside and explained the Constitution to him :)

Trayvon-shooting town does 180 on gun ban
But, he still maintains they have a legal right to ban carry wile patrolling. I don't know their state laws but I do disagree with his statement.

Deen

But, he still maintains they have a legal right to ban carry wile patrolling. I don't know their state laws but I do disagree with his statement.

Because the "Citizens on Patrol" program is an actual department sanctioned program. If you want to participate in their program one of the rules is that you don't carry. If you want to walk around your neighborhood on your own you can do it.

Personally I can't hear "Citizens On Patrol" without thinking of the Police Academy movies and laughing.

solution: remove the signs that say "neighborhood watch" with signs that say "residents of this neighborhood carry weapons". need i say more?

This is exactly what one neighborhood is doing. I was shocked and happy when I saw this news story. I would love to live on a Glock block.

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads