JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have been deer hunting for a while and am starting to get into elk. This was my third season elk hunting. I still am yet to get an elk but have been learning more and more each year (get off the roads and into the thick!)lol. I did get on a heard this year of about 15 or so, but they were a ways out and I was by myself and didn't feel comfortable with the shot with my 7mm-08 (pretty sure i need a bigger rifle for starters i know). Regardless of that, I want to try and do some draws and thought i would find out what people think about different units. I have been searching a lot about desolation and heppner which seem like pretty promising units. Just want to see what other units or those units and the areas in them offer a good chance to get an elk, and a good chance to get a tag. I am a 33 year old disabled vet, my knees can tend to get a little lazy after some strenuous hiking so I am doing my best to get back in shape before next season. after about 4 miles in and 4 miles back on the heard I got onto I was really feeling it... this was steep stuff which seems like where they are most of the time (at least in the wilson and trask units). Anyways, any info would be appreciated.

deer.jpg

deer.jpg

nice deer pic.

I cant really say what units are best for elk, I mostly hunt on the coast range general season and I've taken 3 in the last 6 years. The eastern units are as good as anywhere, success really depends on ample scouting.

4 miles is a long way to pack out an elk, without any knee injury. Along with proper frame packs you will most likely need a hunting partner willing to help. What is your plan for hauling out the elk?

Your 7mm-08 is fine for elk, just make certain you place your shot well especially on anything over 200yds.

nice deer pic.

I cant really say what units are best for elk, I mostly hunt on the coast range general season and I've taken 3 in the last 6 years. The eastern units are as good as anywhere, success really depends on ample scouting.

4 miles is a long way to pack out an elk, without any knee injury. Along with proper frame packs you will most likely need a hunting partner willing to help. What is your plan for hauling out the elk?

Your 7mm-08 is fine for elk, just make certain you place your shot well especially on anything over 200yds.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely can't complain with 50%! That is better than the vast majority from what I have seen. I have a couple of buddies I get to go out sometimes but many of them just aren't dedicated enough to really do the work to get one. I had a couple buddies that went out beginning of the season but couldn't make it out on the last day when I got onto the heard (of course!). That deer I packed out was 125 lbs hanging so trust me when I say that I can only imagine what goes an elk when the real work begins! I think next year I will prob get a mountain bike and stash a cargo hauler somewhere up where I typically hunt to help with the pack out and combat my knee issues. I have read a lot of people that use mountain bikes to get up and off the beating path of where people don't want to go... I have always hiked before but after thinking about it, it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

20151127_102712.jpg

alot of it has been luck, but ive been putting more effort into scouting... getting out there in the off season and finding out where they are and where they go.
I have not taken a deer in 7 years.... but will be working on scouting for that next summer.

Several units in NE Oregon aren't great, due to lower elk numbers from predation (though some other members on this site may disagree that predation is a factor). For those NE Oregon spike only bull hunts where you have to apply for a tag, if you do get a tag the success rate can be as low as 11%. Drawing a branch antler bull tag in one of those units can take over 14 years.

I scout my two local units regularly (when the snow allows) and there is a small but growing herd(s) in the Applegate, as well as a well known but elusive large herd in the Rogue. People have been getting more Elk in the last few years in these units. if you're interested in knowing more, I'd be glad to show you around here (if you're not familiar). I'm always looking for hunting partners, especially when comes to Elk season; I got some great regular camps that are right off the beaten path of a particular small herd I've been monitoring for some years now, but snow keeps me away from there by the time the second Rocky Mt. Bull Elk Centerfire comes around, and I'm limited in budget to just a deer tag in October, but if I get interest (extra muscle) I'll get an earlier Elk tag.

Working in the woods does have a good side. Seeing lots of game. I know the coast range is loaded with elk. Most of the units are controlled hunts. You have to apply for a lucky draw for a tag. Like others said. Scout, scout, scout.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top