JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You realize I was referring to the old 8mm-06 wildcat in that post, right?
The .32 comment was just an example.
Nope, that's not how I read it.
When you said, "It's like the .32 Winchester Special", I thought we were taking off on another branch of discussion.
That's my bad, and I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Last Edited:
Have you dated, down to the month, Grand Dad's rifle?
At one time I looked up the serial number for date of manufacture, but don't recall it now. Will have to re-look that up.

I do recall that his Winchester Model 70 in .30-'06 was manufactured in the spring/summer of 1946.
I remember that date because it is such a damned pretty gun, and I love it and cherish it so.
This one:
Winchester70.01.JPG
And it's the Grand Sobo, not Grand Dad. My paternal grandfather died 4 months after I was born. I never got a chance to know him. :(
The Grand Sobo to whom I refer often is my father, from whose loins did the Sobo springeth.
The Grand Sobo travels this Earth to this very day, and I praise the Lord for that... :)

Last Edited:
The Grand Sobo to whom I refer often is my father, from whose loins did the Sobo springeth... :)
Oh, Dood. Thanks for the intel. You are a special person. I mean that in a good way. Not that I ever doubted it, before, even, though.

Last Edited:
Oh, Dood. Thanks for the intel. You are a special person. I mean that in a good way. Not that I ever doubted it, before, even, though.
Used the www.winchestercollector.org/dates/ search engine (I had seen that site before this thread), and have the following to offer for the dates of manufacture of the Grand Sobo's smokepoles that are now in my possession and care:

Model 94: manufactured in 1912, acquired well-used in 1943 (the Grand Sobo's first deer rifle, at 13 yoa)
Model 70: manufactured in 1946, acquired second-hand in 1948 - however, the original owner never fired it (the Grand Sobo's Alaska rifle, at 18 yoa)
Model 12: manufactured in 1953, acquired new (Grand Sobo, at 23 yoa whilst still in Alaska)

Interesting factoid: The Grand Sobo states that the Model 70 pictured a few posts above was acquired from an older gentleman who bought it brand new in its year of manufacture, and claimed never to have fired it. Prior to purchasing it from the gentleman and upon his inspection of the subject firearm, the Grand Sobo confirmed the elder gentleman's statement. That makes the Grand Sobo the first person to have fired it. My older brother shot some targets with it back in the mid-70s, and I hunted deer with it in the late 70s. No other human has ever fired it. So, that makes that smokepole the only gun in my collection fired by only the male members of the line of the Grand Sobo. Kinda cool, huh? I'm gonna get my son to shoot it before too long, to carry on the tradition... :)

Last Edited:
Not to interrupt the Winchester talk, but this just popped up in my inbox....

I think we've got a live one here, folks.
I don't get it...what question is it answering?
HA, I had to look to see just what this thread was about! Ha!

.30 super carry. Just heard about it from my Boy. Says he want's to get a S&W Shield, that apparently, are are available chambered in .30-SC . Said he wanted my opinion. I told him.. Go for it. If you want a gun in a hard to find, expensive caliber, at $1.30 a round. And that will likely have little re-sale value should you want to sell it. "But 16 rounds man!"

edit: Wow, I looked at ammo seek and and it wasn't that low priced? Better check again.

What I saw was prices for "Defensive" ammo.

I actually really enjoy shooting my SIG P320 in .40, and I would not call myself "unmanly" in the least... :rolleyes:
I like .40 too. When I bought the CZ Sp01 in .40 I didn't even relate to what it. I was still pretty green. I liked the GUN! Now I think .40 is great. Kind a like a manly 9mm, having a serious BAD trip.

I actually really enjoy shooting my SIG P320 in .40, and I would not call myself "unmanly" in the least... :rolleyes:
I have one too a baby desert eagle. 40 is. the manly answer to a 9. But I have a few of those also. Just messin with people to get response. But the 10 is the real deal.

I carry .380 around the house. Usually .40 S&W out and about, I do carry 45 ACP, 357 Sig, or 327 Federal, now and again. Rarely a 38 Special. I don't care a lot, but 40 fits my girly boy hands.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top