JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, so I've been taking trips down memory lane, both positive (e.g., underappreciated cartridges) or less so (failed cartridges). Good times!

But now to cut to chase: what new cartridge offerings were, well, lamentably, even outrageously, stupid? You know: poor performance, didn't offer anything really new, didn't work as advertised, an OK cartridge but offered in the wrong firearm(s), or (in rare cases) demonstrably unsafe to release to the public.

Enjoy!

32 NAA.jpg

It's a joke, just for you.

And you already know that I've wanted one since they came out 20+ years ago.

A few come to mind:

• .45 GAP. Not a bad cartridge on paper, but the answer to a question no one asked. And few bought.
  • .308 Marlin Express. About as a resounding success story as the .307 Winchester. You remember the .307, right?
  • 9㎜ Federal. Granted, it didn't make it completely to market, but it was in advanced stages, including, from the photographic evidence, factory loaded. Not a bad wheelgun cartridge, but it was found to be able to be crammed into old .38 S&W revolvers. Some of them old, black-powder only, or both. A 9x19㎜ Parabellum like cartridge in a rickety old granny gun? What could go wrong!
  • The .224 Valkyrie seems to be dying and I'm not surprised.
  • 7㎜ Shooting Times Westerner. Marginal improvement, nasty recoil, almost still-born.
  • Most of the Ackley "Barely Improved" cartridges. Granted some, particularly in that time and place, made some sense. Now? Meh.
  • The .25 NAA and .32 NAA. Great on paper, good ballistics out of a pocket piece, but really didn't work out.
  • The .50 Action Express. I don't know that it is completely "unfortunate", and it pains me to admit it because I do secretly like the .50 Æ, but it remains a niche offering, at best.
  • .440 Corbon / .429 DE, though not interchangeable, they had the same purpose: a .50 Æ necked down to a .44 bool-it, and chambered in the Desert Eagle. Guess they didn't learn the lesson from the 90s, because, meh. Niche would be charitable.
And, yah, the .30 Super likely so. Neat cartridge, I applaud the innovation (as much as that is a thing with cartridges circa Q2 2022), but strongly suspect it will go the way of the .327 Federal Magnum.

.223, .243, .25, .270, 7mm Winchester Super Short Magnums. The .300 WSSM was the only one that seemed to make it of the bunch.

Remington 375 RUM, 7mm RUM, and .338 RUM just to name a few that are niche calibers

Most of the Ackley "Barely Improved" cartridges. Granted some, particularly in that time and place, made some sense. Now? Meh.
aren't most of the successful new cartridges these days utilizing from inception what Ackely improved upon in older calibers?

aren't most of the successful new cartridges these days utilizing from inception what Ackely improved upon in older calibers?
Most interesting inquiry. Of this I am not sure, but it would be good to learn more; or more accurately, read about again, decades later. And I didn't mean to denigrate the man's work. But some, like the .30'06 Improved, were, imho, of marginal value. Though I can think of at least one that most assuredly was an Improvement. :s0155:

Most interesting inquiry. Of this I am not sure, but it would be good to learn more; or more accurately, read about again, decades later. And I didn't mean to denigrate the man's work. But some, like the .30'06 Improved, were, imho, of marginal value. Though I can think of at least one that most assuredly was an Improvement. :s0155:
Im going out on a limb here, so maybe somebody knows can say....
but, AI never really gained much velocity on most calibers it just optimised the chamber space, it seems like the newer calibers have a similar steeper shoulder angle like the AI, thus increased capacity. Now lets say..... what if the infamous 6.5 Creedmore was even just only 150fps slower all around, would it have become so popular?

And to stay on topic, IMO the 45GAP, 440 corbon, and Im going to guess that newer 9mm caliber that just came out will fall by the wayside.
I remember many years ago I really wanted the 440 Corbon barrel in my 1911, but then I bought a 10mm. The 357Sig did the same strategy but has barely held on but I think will fall by the wayside someday.

I don't have any wildly unfortunate offerings. But if you're asking for opinions, here goes. More like unnecessary than unfortunate.

1. Weatherby line-up. Marginal, dubious performance advantages. But proprietary and therefore expensive.

2. Already mentioned above, the short / fat magnums. Pretty obviously a marketing ploy that result in excessive bolt face thrust.

3. Ackley Improved cartridges. Yes, marginal improvements, dead animals will never know the difference.

4. One specific cartridge that comes to mind, the .30 Thompson Center (7.62x48mm). That much better than a .308 Win.?? And, handloaders can't experience the supposed benefits of this cartridge because a special powder was used to load factory ammo that isn't available as a canister grade.

5, I might as well add Nosler proprietary cartridges, why do we need another series to replace existing cartridges that have done the job for years? And, if these things shoot better to some degree, how many hunters and shooters are skilled enough to enjoy marginal increases in performance?

6. Let's not forget Lazzeroni proprietary cartridges. Another, "Who needs 'em?"

All reinventions of the wheel.

Life was simpler when most hunters carried a .30-30 or .30-06.

450 Marlin
Like Abe Vigoda and Queen Elizabeth, reports of the .450 Marlin's death may be exaggerrated or premature. We are yet to see what Ruger will do.

Personal favorite orphan: Even Whilden's .41 Action Express. Timing is everything. A few years earlier in the 80s, at the beginning of the "wonder nine" revolution, it woulda' been a contender. But Smith nuked it with the .40

BTW, if anyone has 41AE brass or ammo, I am interested.

Don't forget the .17 Aguila cartridge.

Which reminds me......
The other day while at Tropics Pawn in Vancouver (across the Street from Sportsmans Warehouse) I saw a bunch of .17 Mach 2. Priced at more than double of what I paid, the last time I was looking for some. BUT, But, but.....they got some.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top